Baton Rouge Photo of the Day

byrde

Parking Garage

89486338-M.jpg

Nice parking garage. As a former LSU student, I'm jealous.

UL is building one now on the corner of St. Mary and Taft. That will help, but the parking situation around the university here is ridiculous. It's growing too fast.

As for the Shaw Center, at first I thought the design was kind of ugly, possibly too much. Seeing the pictures up close, and the building up close, I have changed my mind.

Next time I'm in Baton Rouge I'm going to have to head up to Tsunami. It's one of my favorite restaurants in Lafayette, and with the view in Baton Rouge, I'm sure it's great there too.

Nice shots Byrde. Great selection as always. BRCC is one the best things to happen to Mid-City. One of the fastest growing CC's in the U.S. enrollment was 7,000...now is it closer to 10,000 ? They are about 2/3 complete. The rest of the old Rebel Shopping Center will be the final phases, which will include a gym and baseball park.

I recently took some pics of Bonne Carre Business Park. Another vital cog in solidifying the emerging Mid-City. I will post those soon.

Yeah my Dad doesn't like the Shaw Center design at all. It's just too different he said. But that's what makes it cool looking to me. Not boring or bland. The "Lantern on the Levee". Check it out on wikipedia pic for BR. The Tsunami rooftop deck is one of the sweetest views in the city.

The Gateway State Bldgs. and renovated Capitol House will add more lights to the wikipedia pic if they take it next month.

Edited by richyb83

Baton Rouge Community College

This place is growing like crazy. They have add some new life to a part of town that was headed down the wrong path.

That is awesome, and I LOVE their logo! For a community college that's really cool. I like the keystone on top of their logo... it's a classy architectural design element and I like that they incorporated it into their logo.

I don't want to hijack your thread with information about my own area, but this sounds very similar to what Bossier Parish Community College did recently. They built a new campus in an older part of Bossier City, near where Bossier and Haughton meet. That area is near where I grew up and it only getting worse off by the day. Now, there's a nice, big, beautiful community college campus there and the city has enacted new ordinances to make surrounding businesses clean up their acts or get out. They don't want the highway that runs between the new college and the Boardwalk to be cluttered with rundown businesses anymore.

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, back to Baton Rouge's community college... VERY nice! :) I really like this and I love projects that help to revitalize parts of a community that weren't looking very good.

Edited by SBCmetroguy

I don't want to hijack your thread with information about my own area, but this sounds very similar to what Bossier Parish Community College did recently. They built a new campus in an older part of Bossier City, near where Bossier and Haughton meet. That area is near where I grew up and it only getting worse off by the day. Now, there's a nice, big, beautiful community college campus there and the city has enacted new ordinances to make surrounding businesses clean up their acts or get out. They don't want the highway that runs between the new college and the Boardwalk to be cluttered with rundown businesses anymore.

I had to attend a meeting at BPCC about a year ago and that place is very nice. BRCC is a little more spread out that BPCC, but both schools are examples of the State of LA doing something right. :thumbsup:

I had to attend a meeting at BPCC about a year ago and that place is very nice. BRCC is a little more spread out that BPCC, but both schools are examples of the State of LA doing something right. :thumbsup:

Yeah, the new BPCC campus is very compact... but wow, so much larger and nicer than what they used to have. I don't know if you ever saw their old campus, but it was shared with Airline High School (my alma mater) and was extremely cramped.

Anyway, it's great to see Louisiana's smaller schools (not major universities) doing something right!!

I also like how the names BRCC and BPCC are so similar. :D

Edited by SBCmetroguy

I didn't notice the parking garage before. That's very impressive for a community college!!

And byrde, that State Farm building is REALLY nice. I'm jealous! Seriously, it's a nice design and it's very large. The large State Farm center for north Louisiana WAS in Monroe and it was huge like that, but they closed it a couple years back. :( I wish at least that they could have moved it here rather than closing it altogether.

Edited by SBCmetroguy

I didn't notice the parking garage before. That's very impressive for a community college!!

And byrde, that State Farm building is REALLY nice. I'm jealous! Seriously, it's a nice design and it's very large. The large State Farm center for north Louisiana WAS in Monroe and it was huge like that, but they closed it a couple years back. :( I wish at least that they could have moved it here rather than closing it altogether.

Yeah I was dissapointed that state farm closed that office as well. I think they moved the operations center from Monroe to Tulsa.

Nice pic Bryde. I like the look of the new State Farm Bldg. too. It's part of the nice new Towne Center anchored by Whole Foods. They wanted every building uniform in Towne Center, so it stayed only 2-stories. The next phase at the Towne Center Business Park might have been a nice location too; State Farm Bldg. is 65,000 sq.ft could have gone taller at 4 to 6-stories instead. I guess height is not everything.

Edited by richyb83

Hey man, what's up Nate ? How's everything going?

When was this pic taken ? That's nice of you to post that for me, thanks. :shades: The imfamous sound-walls that some say was a waste of $. Unfortunately you are entering a prime-time bottleneck. Maybe one day they can have 6-lanes all the way to Denham Springs or even Juban Rd. or how about Walker ?

They are finally in the preliminary stages of 5-laning Millerville Road :yahoo: It's gonna be a mess for awhile; but that's progress.

Edited by richyb83

Wouldn't you say this building( KPMG Centre) looks like the older brother of Baton Rouge's City Plaza,just a little? This the building I was talkng about way back when I had went to Dallas. The glass didn't seem so dark when I saw it.

361461.jpg

Here's another picture that makes them look more similar. http://ll.bizjournals.com/cre/listing/dallas/722996

Edited by dan326

• 2 weeks later...