Short Pump Developments

TBurban

I agree but have these venues helped the canal walk? The bottom has had a nightlife for a long time. What happened to the idea that the ESPN Zone and other national venues would be coming to downtown by the canal walk to bring that San Antonio vibe?

You've got to get more going on down there or some of these places are not going to make it. I find it hard to believe that the area will support the National and Toad's. I hope I'm wrong and I hope the city does more to make this area the area to go on a weekend. Right now it is not just one of many areas to go bar hopping. I think they should right away get a deal to have the ballpark downtown and make it a really retro looking ballpark. Get it as close to the river/canal area as you can. Make this area a place where on a Saturday afternoon the canal area is lively with things to do. You know - kind of like Short Pump Town Center and the soon to be West Broad Village. :rolleyes:

:lol: You and I seem to have hijacked this West Broad Village thread, but just a few more words in defense of downtown. The National and Toads bring in people from a good distance away -- not just locals. So far, both have been relatively successful and have made Richmond a recognizable contender in the East Coast music scene.

I don't recall anything more than wishful thinking for ESPN, Hardrock, etc. along the Canal Walk. Toads, Highwater, Vistas on the James and Blackfinn have increased traffic somewhat in the area, but until those canals are joined, and unless the City and others seriously address the eastern extension (between 17th street and Great Ship Lock), it's going to continue to be slow going. Wrldcoupe4 and I used to talk about the possibility of a line of ship shops tied up to a floating wharf along the easternmost portion of the canal, but no body took us seriously.

West Broad Village is going to boom, IMO. McCormick & Schmicks, the famous Portland, Oregon seafood restaurant that has expanded into a National chain; Dave & Busters; Whole Foods; Trader Joe's; aLoft and all the other commercial and residential options are going to draw droves of visitors and live-ins. The City has simply got to get more competitive.

• Replies 895
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:lol: You and I seem to have hijacked this West Broad Village thread, but just a few more words in defense of downtown. The National and Toads bring in people from a good distance away -- not just locals. So far, both have been relatively successful and have made Richmond a recognizable contender in the East Coast music scene.

I don't recall anything more than wishful thinking for ESPN, Hardrock, etc. along the Canal Walk. Toads, Highwater, Vistas on the James and Blackfinn have increased traffic somewhat in the area, but until those canals are joined, and unless the City and others seriously address the eastern extension (between 17th street and Great Ship Lock), it's going to continue to be slow going. Wrldcoupe4 and I used to talk about the possibility of a line of ship shops tied up to a floating wharf along the easternmost portion of the canal, but no body took us seriously.

West Broad Village is going to boom, IMO. McCormick & Schmicks, the famous Portland, Oregon seafood restaurant that has expanded into a National chain; Dave & Busters; Whole Foods; Trader Joe's; aLoft and all the other commercial and residential options are going to draw droves of visitors and live-ins. The City has simply got to get more competitive.

I took it seriously because I had the same idea. I mentioned it at my table in the charrette last July and my table liked it. When the spokeswoman for our table presented our plan, she mentioned the "adorable" term, "ship shops." I saw Coupe looking around for me but I was right behind him taking pictures and talking to Tyler Potterfield. I believe she also mentioned my idea for a city aquarium as an alternative to Echo Harbour's towers. I would like to believe that I am the one responsible for connecting the canals on the maps and extending the canal along its old bed., but I'm not sure if my idea was among many. I know when they were drawing them I made sure they didn't forget.

The city does have to be more competitive and I wish it wasn't so for us being in the same region. It seems like normally in other states, places compete against other cities and we compete within our own metro and lose 99% of the time. It's a horrible shame bordering on a crime sponsored by the Commonwealth. I still say, Richmond needs to take back Richmond... that is, march from City Hall across the street to the Capitol and make a scene until our borders are dissolved.

But also like I said at RCW, I hope gas goes up to $1000 a barrel and see how much the suburbs will crumble after being built on the premise gas will always be about $1. We will have a building boom inside the city. We have to prepare.

All I will say is this:

I live right across the street from Miller and Rhodes, Carpenter Center, the National, Federal Courthouse, etc. I am moving to Churchill, why, you might ask? Well, because in 10 years or less there will be an effective mass transit solution from there to Downtown - or my 2 minute commute is a highly effective way to preserve gas (esp. since it will be over 5 dollars/gallon in a month or so).

Just let gas continue going the way it does, we may not have to let the city market itself... people will be scrambling to live where I do now or will shortly - YOU CAN'T IGNORE IT MUCH LONGER!!!!

All I will say is this:

I live right across the street from Miller and Rhodes, Carpenter Center, the National, Federal Courthouse, etc. I am moving to Churchill, why, you might ask? Well, because in 10 years or less there will be an effective mass transit solution from there to Downtown - or my 2 minute commute is a highly effective way to preserve gas (esp. since it will be over 5 dollars/gallon in a month or so).

Just let gas continue going the way it does, we may not have to let the city market itself... people will be scrambling to live where I do now or will shortly - YOU CAN'T IGNORE IT MUCH LONGER!!!!

Sigh! I can't afford to wait 10 years. :ermm: If I had my druthers, I'd live in the area you are leaving. I hope you are not giving up on East Grace Street for any kind of ominous reason, like crime. The big drawback to center city living IMO is the lack of a grocery store. Otherwise, the stirring of activity downtown is quite exciting.

Journi, do you think condo investment would be financially wise in the neighborhood?

Hahaha. If we had a moderator, probably we'd be scolded for straying off topic. Sorry, West Broad Village. I still think you are going to be one hot property waaay out there in western Henrecko.

Sigh! I can't afford to wait 10 years. :ermm: If I had my druthers, I'd live in the area you are leaving. I hope you are not giving up on East Grace Street for any kind of ominous reason, like crime. The big drawback to center city living IMO is the lack of a grocery store. Otherwise, the stirring of activity downtown is quite exciting.

Journi, do you think condo investment would be financially wise in the neighborhood?

Hahaha. If we had a moderator, probably we'd be scolded for straying off topic. Sorry, West Broad Village. I still think you are going to be one hot property waaay out there in western Henrecko.

If I had the money I would buy a condo in a heartbeat down there.

VERY sound investment. Mark my words.

We might as well renamed this thread "Short Pump and vincinity."

Really? As much as I love Ukrop's and as much as this would be a nice choice to go for lunch, but really? Is it that hard to drive down the same road, make a right and go to Westmark? Then is it really that hard to get to Short Pump's Ukrop's? Having those three in such a short distance would be like the Ukrop's at Mechanicsville, White Oak, and Henrico Plaza. (Now if one were to be built at Henrico Plaza... I'd take it over the nothing).

Here's another big announcement for dining out at West Broad Village. Style Weekly's Deveron Timberlake tells us in her Short Order column that:

"Karol Gajda, the chef who just closed LA PETITE FRANCE, is heading to Arizona for 10 weeks of training before opening one of the Eastern Seaboard's first KONA GRILL franchises. It's a contemporary sushi place with a big menu of mainstream and international food, centered on a salt water aquarium, a 300-seat dining room, lounge and sushi bar. It's set to open in West Broad Village, near the coming Whole Foods Market, by January."

Wonder if there's enough space on a reconfigured ground level of the John Marshall to accommodate a Trader Joe's?

Only if they can squeeze into just under 8,000 SF. I have the flyer from Harrison & Bates in front of me for the retail spaces, and the biggest space is 7,917 SF. Unfortunately, the spaces are not adjacent, so they couldn't just combine them.

Isn't that flyer for Miller and Rhoads and not John Marshall?

Miller & Rhoads will have three spaces reserved for commercial, the largest being 7000 + square feet at the corner of 6th and Grace. Another space of about 6000 s/f will be at the corner of 6th and Broad. These two areas are not contiguous. They are separated by the condo entryway on 6th street. There will also be a commercial space of about 5000 + s/f at the corner of 5th and Grace. Restaurants are planned for the 6th street spaces and retail is expected to fill the 5th and Grace area.

The separate building that is of part of The John Marshall at the corner of 6th and Franklin was used at one time as convention space on the 2nd level. I don't know the square footage, but it is quite large. There is also considerable ground level space on both sides of the hotel's 5th street entrance. A restaurant called The Captain's Grill occupied the street level space in the northern wing and there was a big kitchen behind it. The barber shop and what was known as The Coffee Shop took up the space along Franklin Street.

Maybe, if the rumor of a new parking deck to replace the present one at s/w corner of 6th and Franklin is fact, a market could occupy its first level.

Isn't that flyer for Miller and Rhoads and not John Marshall?

I'm not sure where I got mixed up on that. The post very clearly said John Marshall, and I very much knew the flyer I was looking at was Miller & Rhoads....

Oh well. :wacko: Thanks for the correction, though.

I'm not sure where I got mixed up on that. The post very clearly said John Marshall, and I very much knew the flyer I was looking at was Miller & Rhoads....

Oh well. :wacko: Thanks for the correction, though.

So, back to topic, what do you think about KONA GRILL at West Broad Village, Nathan? Are you familiar with the operation? Ethnically different, but sort of similar in scope to the popular TEXAS DE BRAZIL at Regency Square. In other words, a theme restaurant with an Asian twist.

So, back to topic, what do you think about KONA GRILL at West Broad Village, Nathan? Are you familiar with the operation? Ethnically different, but sort of similar in scope to the popular TEXAS DE BRAZIL at Regency Square. In other words, a theme restaurant with an Asian twist.

I think opening a 300-seat location in the middle of the restaurant dogfight that is Short Pump is a ballsy move, especially with the way the economy is at the moment. That's not to say it won't do well. Some extreme risks pay off very well in the end...

I'm not familiar with KONA GRILL specifically, though.

Archived