Short Pump Developments

TBurban

Sorry for misspelling vicinity. That comes from years ago misreading and misprounouncing it that I'll add the extra I and N sometimes. I'll also agree with Short Pump Area Developments.

And if you want you can do the secondary title "New Richmond" .... Tommy...

• Replies 895
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hilton update --> steel is rising!

What you may have seen is rebar for the concrete columns. However I saw sections of the mast onsite.

This project will appear to be either cast-in-place or post-tension concrete.

Those reader comments make me feel I am not alone. I am so sick of every Sunday's realestate section referring to West Broad Village and Short Pump as being "Richmond's New Downtown." Burt I don't know how you find pride in Richmond anymore when we are being sucker punched by the counties. I wish my job was downtown so that I could ride the bus or walk. That will never be the case for me. I wish I could shop downtown, again, that will never be the case for me. Why do we even cling to the notion of having a downtown?

Those reader comments make me feel I am not alone. I am so sick of every Sunday's realestate section referring to West Broad Village and Short Pump as being "Richmond's New Downtown." Burt I don't know how you find pride in Richmond anymore when we are being sucker punched by the counties. I wish my job was downtown so that I could ride the bus or walk. That will never be the case for me. I wish I could shop downtown, again, that will never be the case for me. Why do we even cling to the notion of having a downtown?

Well, you can cling to your gloom and doom if you choose, but I get excited about ALL of metro Richmond on my visits, though admittedly, downtown is my main interest. There is more shopping down there than in previous months -- all along Broad in the gallery district. It just doesn't happen to appeal to your tastes. But think of it as the beginning. Anybody who thinks downtown is barren is wearing blinders, IMO.

I don't think it's barren, but it won't be a regional draw. I feel we're not aiming very high. People are satisfied with downtown being just a neighborhood with a strip that's basically a collection of corner stores. You can rejoice in metro Richmond's developments, but I'm all for fairness and equality, not the lopsidedness that's ever increasing. I can't be a cheerleader to that. I admit I like new construction and I do want to take pictures of West Broad Village because it changed literally the week after I had last taken pics there. People are attracted to new things, perhaps we should have demolished more whole blocks of downtown and started over?

Where are the retail announcements for Rocketts Landing? Why aren't there people lining up build and open in Shockoe Bottom? Grace Street is still dead. We don't need anything to further twist the knife in the city proper's back.

There's a big hole filled with a crane where the Hilton is to rise at Town Center West; a new Japanese restaurant which I had not heard about and what appears to be another hotel (so far nameless) at the western end of TCW.

Sierra Suites next to Dicks at SPTC has reached its heights.

If Westmark is where I think it is (the old Bank of Virginia/now Mead Westvaco hdqs site practically across from Innsbrooke) I did not see any signs of preparation for new hotels discussed in this forum.

Whole Foods is not only near completion (it opens in September), but has its identifying sign in place.

And Tommy, I noted the new fly-over at I-64/I-295 and drove over the new smooth Pouncy Tract Road bridge.

There's a big hole filled with a crane where the Hilton is to rise at Town Center West; a new Japanese restaurant which I had not heard about and what appears to be another hotel (so far nameless) at the western end of TCW.

Sierra Suites next to Dicks at SPTC has reached its heights.

If Westmark is where I think it is (the old Bank of Virginia/now Mead Westvaco hdqs site practically across from Innsbrooke) I did not see any signs of preparation for new hotels discussed in this forum.

Whole Foods is not only near completion (it opens in September), but has its identifying sign in place.

And Tommy, I noted the new fly-over at I-64/I-295 and drove over the new smooth Pouncy Tract Road bridge.

Glad to hear it, Burt!

West Broad Village entrance signage is going up at the Whole Foods entrance..it is to be one of 3 major sign intersections.

Trader Joe's in Short Pump Station just put up its sign this morning.

Tommy, what will be the affiliation of the hotel (I assume it's a hotel) that is getting finishing touches at the western reaches of TCW (behind the car dealership?)

Itll be a Wingate by Wyndham, should be open by this fall :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Stuff like this happens often. There was a guy in Chicago working on a high rise project and he fell I think like 15 stories to his death cause he wasnt wearing a harness the correct way.

These things happen, but not too often. I wish it would never happen.

In this instance it is not known if the harness was worn correctly or if the harness was tied-off to something sturdy.

• 3 weeks later...

GVA Advantis will be the listing agent for 600,000 square feet of office space at West Broad Village according to a report on the Business page of today's inRich.

I believe that's the real estate company that is trying to find a tenant for Douglas Jemal's Central National Bank tower at 3rd and Broad.

Having had talks with Unicorp within the past few months and various West Broad Village associates, Dave and Buster's has already signed a lease. It will be one of the last major retailers to open up in the 5 story mixed use buildings.

On the flip side, facade work continues on both the aLoft and Sierra Suites hotels, and the steel frame for Kona Grill is rising at the main entrance of WBV nearest 64.

Having had talks with Unicorp within the past few months and various West Broad Village associates, Dave and Buster's has already signed a lease. It will be one of the last major retailers to open up in the 5 story mixed use buildings.

On the flip side, facade work continues on both the aLoft and Sierra Suites hotels, and the steel frame for Kona Grill is rising at the main entrance of WBV nearest 64.

Have you checked out KAI PAN, the stand-alone Japanese restaurant at Town Center West? I recall seeing it on my July visit.

How's the Hilton coming along as well as other projects at TCW?

Have you checked out KAI PAN, the stand-alone Japanese restaurant at Town Center West? I recall seeing it on my July visit.

How's the Hilton coming along as well as other projects at TCW?

Haven't been to KAN PAI yet, but from what I heard it's very much similar to its neighbor in Downtown Short Pump, OSAKA.

The Hilton is really coming along nicely, they've got the first floor or so up, and lots of work in the vicinity. The 3-4 story mixed use buildings fronting W Broad should be seeing groundbreaking soon, as well as the few strips of shops bordering the northern edge of TCW nearest 64.

Haven't been to KAN PAI yet, but from what I heard it's very much similar to its neighbor in Downtown Short Pump, OSAKA.

The Hilton is really coming along nicely, they've got the first floor or so up, and lots of work in the vicinity. The 3-4 story mixed use buildings fronting W Broad should be seeing groundbreaking soon, as well as the few strips of shops bordering the northern edge of TCW nearest 64.

Well, I almost got the Japanese Restaurant's name right in a sort of dyslectic way. :lol:

I don't mind that KONA GRILL is a chain. I'd like to go there after it opens. Ditto for McCORMICK & SCHMICKS. I think the specialty of each is seafood.

I mentioned this earlier in the Dining Out thread, but the gentleman who was the owner/manager of LA PETITE FRANCE when it closed will manage KONA GRILL in Richmond. He is spending several months in Phoenix familiarizing himself with the operation.

Will SIERRA SUITES have a restaurant?

Well, I almost got the Japanese Restaurant's name right in a sort of dyslectic way. :lol:

I don't mind that KONA GRILL is a chain. I'd like to go there after it opens. Ditto for McCORMICK & SCHMICKS. I think the specialty of each is seafood.

I mentioned this earlier in the Dining Out thread, but the gentleman who was the owner/manager of LA PETITE FRANCE when it closed will manage KONA GRILL in Richmond. He is spending several months in Phoenix familiarizing himself with the operation.

Will SIERRA SUITES have a restaurant?

Haha, at least you were close enough where I could tell what you meant!

The Sierra Suites will have ground level retail space suitable for a restaurant or two. I remember seeing the square footage listing somewhere, so Ill have to double check the amount of space; I wanna say it was something like 20-30k, but dont hold me to it. The Hilton at TCW has a similar available retail space.

Archived