Short Pump Developments

TBurban

• Replies 895
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will probably never go back to whole foods again. I didnt like the experience at all cause to me it was nothing special. A friend of mine that used to live in Chicago but moved down here when we were Freshman in High School said it was nothing special in Chicago but it was in a town called Deerfield. But Im just not a fan of all the natural and organic stuff cause ive heard of people getting really sick with all that natural stuff. I eat stuff that tastes good and with some fat but I dont eat that big of a portion. I just try to balance how much I eat. But after going to Golden Corral today I thought I was gonna puke from how much I ate. I had two sirloin steaks and I like eating the fat off of steaks. My great grandmother was the same way.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a huge sign on the corner of Lauderdale and Broad, "The Corner at Short Pump, Coming Fall 2009" The site is all taped off and demo is sure to follow close suit.

In the old days when there was nothing more than a filling station at the junction of Three Chopt and Broad Street Roads, the name "short pump" was sneered and jeered at locally as descriptive of certain men's anatomy.

Sigh! Do you think they'll ever build anything out that way that doesn't have Short Pump in its name? It's not as if those who live and shop in the area don't know where they are!! Why not simply call the Lauderdale and Broad site "The Corner"?

Repetition and lack of imagination bore me, but obviously I'm in a minority. My latest peeve is "The Residences at..." trend.

Have you been to Whole Foods,Tommy? What's your opinion?

Do you know if people are moving into the apartments, condos and houses at WBV?

How's progress on Dave & Busters, Kona Grill and other restaurant/entertainment/hotel facilities?

In the old days when there was nothing more than a filling station at the junction of Three Chopt and Broad Street Roads, the name "short pump" was sneered and jeered at locally as descriptive of certain men's anatomy.

Sigh! Do you think they'll ever build anything out that way that doesn't have Short Pump in its name? It's not as if those who live and shop in the area don't know where they are!! Why not simply call the Lauderdale and Broad site "The Corner"?

Repetition and lack of imagination bore me, but obviously I'm in a minority. My latest peeve is "The Residences at..." trend.

Have you been to Whole Foods,Tommy? What's your opinion?

Do you know if people are moving into the apartments, condos and houses at WBV?

How's progress on Dave & Busters, Kona Grill and other restaurant/entertainment/hotel facilities?

I agree with the constant use of Short Pump in naming shopping centers..I can think of a thousand and one other just-as-pleasing titles.

Whole Foods was really nice. I'm not much of an organic foods shopper, but they've got lots of good stuff. I really like their prepared foods, incredibly comparable to Ukrops' prepared meals. Two thumbs up.

Im not sure on the status of sales at the apartments..I've been meaning to stop in at the sales center to get some updated info on tenants, openings and sales. Ill have to do that sometime this weekend. Dave and Buster's facade is still going up..so it'll be awhile before we see any action there. Kona's got roofwork continuing and facade should be going up by this weekend/the beginning of next week :thumbsup:

Actually, I did some digging...here's another update:

Hotels:

Over 690 new Hotel rooms are being constructed in and adjacent to Towne Center West

- Hilton is constructing a 262 room, full service hotel in Towne Center West

- Adjacent to Towne Center, Wingate Hotel is opening 105 rooms

- At SPTC, Sierra Suites is opening 134 rooms

- In between Towne Center West and SPTC along Broad, Holiday Inn is opening 192 rooms

Apartments:

72 luxury apartments will be situated over approximately 24,000 square feet of retail

fronting West Broad Street at TCW

Roads:

The 2011 completion of the Gayton flyover connecting to W. Broad Street located just

to the West of TCW will create a major traffic pattern change for the residents North

of Interstate 64

Office:

A 70,000 square foot Medical office building will be constructed in TCW

TCW map: (key below)

52138948zd1.png

17515557fv3.png

Residential over retail at TCW: (72 luxury apartments)

70352635mz3.png

Click the top black bar of the images to enlarge them...sorry guys, there was no way I could put the key with the map and still make it readable.

I have to find myself work elsewhere because people at work for our outings seem to eye Short Pump. I cannot support the mall or West Broad Village. Things would have been so different had they not insulted Richmond in their initial descriptions. Never heard of Roseland, Rocketts, or Tree Hill as replacements for Richmond's downtown and Fan.

I have to find myself work elsewhere because people at work for our outings seem to eye Short Pump. I cannot support the mall or West Broad Village. Things would have been so different had they not insulted Richmond in their initial descriptions. Never heard of Roseland, Rocketts, or Tree Hill as replacements for Richmond's downtown and Fan.

I drove through that stretch of Broad yesterday for the first time in a long while and the word "surreal" comes to mind. Strip mall after strip mall and now a strip mall on steroids is underway. The scale of that area just isn't welcoming to me in the least. It's obviously not meant to be biked or walked around. I guess you just have to pick a mall, park the minivan, and call that your 'hood. Short Pumpers will soon be talking about these various shopping areas like Richmonders talk about their distinct neighborhoods. Some people don't try to delve to deeply in their search for recreation, dining, or shopping and unfortunately for them they put their blinders on and go with national chains with their national ad campaigns as opposed to a unique experience at a locally owned establishment. I know some folks here are concerned with Short Pump taking something away from Richmond but worry not. Comparing Short Pump to Richmond is like comparing Busch Gardens Europe to Europe. Some people prefer the safety of the ersatz experience, taking comfort in knowing that the real world isn't allowed to intrude into their little Disneyland of Life. They don't have to worry about the homeless, hippies, thugs, punks, goths, freaks, bikers, street performers, dogs pooping, horns honking, bus brakes squealing, or any other form of reality they consider unsavory because those things aren't allowed to encroach upon their exclusive world. I myself believe that variety is the spice of life and immersing myself in an insular world like that would drive me mad and I'm not alone. There are plenty of folks coming into Richmond that think Short Pump is a joke just as there are plenty of folks moving into Short Pump that see the City as quite undesirable. The metro-area has room enough for these two completely different places to exist and flourish and the physical distance between the two ensures that.

I drove through that stretch of Broad yesterday for the first time in a long while and the word "surreal" comes to mind. Strip mall after strip mall and now a strip mall on steroids is underway. The scale of that area just isn't welcoming to me in the least. It's obviously not meant to be biked or walked around. I guess you just have to pick a mall, park the minivan, and call that your 'hood. Short Pumpers will soon be talking about these various shopping areas like Richmonders talk about their distinct neighborhoods. Some people don't try to delve to deeply in their search for recreation, dining, or shopping and unfortunately for them they put their blinders on and go with national chains with their national ad campaigns as opposed to a unique experience at a locally owned establishment. I know some folks here are concerned with Short Pump taking something away from Richmond but worry not. Comparing Short Pump to Richmond is like comparing Busch Gardens Europe to Europe. Some people prefer the safety of the ersatz experience, taking comfort in knowing that the real world isn't allowed to intrude into their little Disneyland of Life. They don't have to worry about the homeless, hippies, thugs, punks, goths, freaks, bikers, street performers, dogs pooping, horns honking, bus brakes squealing, or any other form of reality they consider unsavory because those things aren't allowed to encroach upon their exclusive world. I myself believe that variety is the spice of life and immersing myself in an insular world like that would drive me mad and I'm not alone. There are plenty of folks coming into Richmond that think Short Pump is a joke just as there are plenty of folks moving into Short Pump that see the City as quite undesirable. The metro-area has room enough for these two completely different places to exist and flourish and the physical distance between the two ensures that.

A very intelligent commentary, ric75.

I think we all have to agree that when a metro pushes beyond the 1.2million mark there is bound to be a divergence of preferred life styles.

Your last line says it all, IMO.

My heart is downtown Richmond!

Actually, I did some digging...here's another update:

TCW map: (key below)

52138948zd1.png

17515557fv3.png

Residential over retail at TCW: (72 luxury apartments)

70352635mz3.png

Click the top black bar of the images to enlarge them...sorry guys, there was no way I could put the key with the map and still make it readable.

Tommy, this is incredibly comprehensive coverage of what's going on out there near Charlottesville. :lol:

Many thanks for keeping us apprised, and please continue to do so.

It might help readers to understand that this thread covers three very large properties that are practically contiguous. West Broad Village is the easternmost beginning at the West Broad Street ramp to I-64. West of there on Broad is the immense Life Style Center called Short Pump Town Center, and immediately beyond that is Towne Center West. All are in Henrico County along the West Broad Street corridor (US 250) about 13 miles west of Richmond's Capitol Square.

Don't hate the messenger! I'd be doing the same thing for White Oak, Rocketts Landing, Foundry Park had I lived near them. At the time being, I just don't know enough to be able to..

Anyways, here's a useful site for any out of the area viewers to WBV, they've got lots of recent construction photos, and it's updated every 2 weeks or so by workers on site. Most of the photos they take are from areas civilians can't get to, so it's definitely worth a look!

http://www.lecesse.com/flatsatwestbroadvillage.html#

Click on the top right box "view construction photos"

Burt, in response to your question about the experience at Whole Foods, I thought I would offer up our experience. Before I do, I must first say that I was raised in the city, and will always have city of Richmond branded on my heart. With that being said, let me say that the West Broad Village looks absolutely fantastic. It kind of sucks because I wish that our downtown looked that good. The brick streets are schmokin'!! Instead of painted lines on the brick roads, they used a different color brick to designate the lane lines and turn lanes. Very classy indeed. Now, onto the Whole Foods. The place was packed! A whole lot of people and so many choices that it almost sent me back out to the car for a beer. (Beer selection in that joint is astronomical) There are a lot of really great deals in there and a huge selection. The prices aren't that bad and even though there were a large number of shoppers in the store, getting through the checkout line was a breeze. Very suprising. We have a pretty good sized family and we usually get all of our produce from local farmer's markets in the area (Lakeside) and try to keep it as healthy and organic as possible. Don't get me wrong, we eat meat, lots of it and every kind, but we do try to stay away from as many processed things as we can. Whole Foods is an excellent store and West Broad Village looks stellar. It broke my heart to say this.

I can be impressed and hate it too. I took my pics of the place and think it looks neat but what it stands for, not so much. Tommy, no one hates the messenger and I didn't mention anything about you or your post. I understand the difference between the real and faux, but a lot of people are actually buying into Short Pump being our downtown while there is nothing in the real downtown. People practically get the jollies when you say "Short Pump" especially my fellow co-workers. What is it about this place? I have said the same thing before and it goes ignored. No other place in our entire region has been given the title, "Richmond's new downtown" as printed in the Times-Dispatch EVERY WEEKEND. No one said Roseland was to be anything but Roseland. Wyndham is Wyndham. Virginia Center is nothing else. Chester Village, no problems. Why can't Short Pump claim only Short Pump? That's the root as I have said before. Had Short Pump had been Short Pump and not aiming to be the region's retail center, leaving downtown to lay in ruins, I'd have spent my gift cards I got from the mall nearly a year ago.

Then there are some of you who treat downtown and Short Pump as equals when they are not, saying that the two can co-exist as equal shopping destinations. Look around! Yes, they can co-exist, but one is going to draw people and one isn't. They are not equal places as long as there is nothing in downtown Richmond for us in the city and even the region to have the same appeal. Arts? Fine but doesn't bring home the bread. Restaurants, fine, but doesn't bring home the bacon. Entertainment, someone forgot the eggs. Condos, no cheese. Even building a big box paradise on the Boulevard is no consolation. There is absolutely nothing for people in the immediate North and South Sides or East End of Richmond. I am not counting White Oak because it is HENRICO, Va (and don't get me started on the fools of the county who voted to disassociate themselves from Richmond). Rocketts? Right, a sandwich shop will level that field. The mentality is just like the big house versus the fields, let them have a crumbs and the entrails instead of the real meat and all is fair as long as they eat.

Come to my side of town, let me show you how unbalanced it really is. I'm not irrational as one person here likes to make me out to be because I won't fall in line. You can't tell me something is there when it isn't. You can't tell me it's raining on a sunny day. Ukrop's closed a central city store. Where is the next closest one? Clear across town in the West End. Where else can I go? I guess the Market or roach and rat infested ghetto shops. Where near me can I buy clothes? Where can I buy music? Where can I get a computer and not be ripped off? We can't even build new buildings. They stay on the drawing board and end up museum exhibits. The Canal Walk as I expected and was ok with coming along slowly, but now it's painfully slow. Why was the city treated differently? The suburbs get everything now but the city will build later. Tell me what is right with that picture. Even if you do live downtown, you still have to go outside of downtown to get certain things. Such is not the case in oh so equal Short Pump. Where is the equal reason why they'll both be major destinations?

Point it out to me how downtown Richmond will be an equal draw with the same opportunities. Until those marketing Short Pump drop the new downtown and new Fan thing, I'm going to remind you why golden, heavenly, innocent Short Pump (SPTC, WBV and TCW) is not getting my business. This is what I think of all the millions spent destroying farmland that should have been spent downtown: 100_9822.jpg

I certainly understand your frustration Cadeho but one of the big reasons they can plop down so much big box, chain store junk all at once in Short Pump is because they have the trees to knock down. Richmond doesn't. Building something that size in the City is far more complicated. You also have to consider the folks these developments cater to. Many of the people who flock in droves to these over-hyped strip malls would never set foot downtown. Attitudes towards race and class factor heavily into their decision-making. In their world, revitalizing a house in a historic district and eating at a unique little neighborhood restaurant doesn't carry any value to them socially. Living in a McMansion with more rooms than they know what to do with and eating at a well-marketed chain restaurant do however. Short Pump exists for all the wrong reasons and demonstrates the flaws in super-capitalism. Personally, if I were in an economy that depended solely on retail I'd be biting my fingernails right now as I'm sure many of the "older" stores in Glen Allen and Short Pump are. Strip malls that were the rage five years ago already seem to be fading and that's another problem with the way that area has developed. They depend on hype to drive up sales, not authenticity so the shelf life for many of these places is probably a decade at best. Again, I'll take the slower but more thoughtful growth of the City as houses and buildings are rebuilt one at a time. And one of these years we will get a Mayor and Council together that actually "get it" and help move things forward a little more quickly. For now it's up to the citizens and small businesses which in some ways I like. It's good to know that each citizen has a say and can effect change in their community.

I'm glad you understand where I'm coming from instead of glossing over my comments and saying my point of view does not matter os is irrational. I am not one to accept reality just because it's reality. Things don't always have to be as they are. I am hopeful but I can't ignore the giant gaping disparities as others are willing to do.

Perhaps ric and Cadeho should start their own thread and title in "Soap Box". Both of you guys love to throw stones and are so self righteous. I live in a large home in the suburbs. I chose my home for its great school system (Richmond?), a nice yard, a great community where you have a real neighborhood for my kids to play safely. It's a modern home with all the new features. I did not know by making the decision to live here I was being the helper of Satan. Also, Cadeho cries about Short Pump and all the traffic it generates. He loves to point out all the negatives yet he also cries about how much of what is in Short Pump should be in Richmond???????? I think the 1940s called and wants both of you back. Perhaps both of you should focus more on cleaning up what is wrong with Richmond rather than worrying about how well the suburbs are doing. 2 cents

Perhaps ric and Cadeho should start their own thread and title in "Soap Box". Both of you guys love to throw stones and are so self righteous. I live in a large home in the suburbs. I chose my home for its great school system (Richmond?), a nice yard, a great community where you have a real neighborhood for my kids to play safely. It's a modern home with all the new features. I did not know by making the decision to live here I was being the helper of Satan. Also, Cadeho cries about Short Pump and all the traffic it generates. He loves to point out all the negatives yet he also cries about how much of what is in Short Pump should be in Richmond???????? I think the 1940s called and wants both of you back. Perhaps both of you should focus more on cleaning up what is wrong with Richmond rather than worrying about how well the suburbs are doing. 2 cents

I live, shop, and play in the City because I put my money where my mouth is so don't assume I just sit online and throw stones. If you think I sound self-righteous think about how arrogant suburbanites sound when they criticize a City that's dealing with issues they didn't have the courage to face. It's easy to get cocky when you have little to no homelessness, low poverty, and a rich tax base to build schools and roads from. But before you pat yourself on the back, understand that it's not because the suburban counties faced and defeated these issues, it's because they fled from them and have done their best to insure that these problems remain in the City. The counties fight the idea of regionalism tooth and nail basically because they don't want to be asked to pay their share. And if that isn't enough, the mortgage companies that founded unchecked suburban sprawl are now getting bailed out by the Federal government and the tax dollars of ordinary American citizens even though they irresponsibly gave money to people who obviously couldn't afford it. So while I get involved in the community here and try to insure that we do the best we can with the little we get, I also care what the suburbs do because I'm tired of paying the high cost of its waste.

I shall stand on my soap box. You sound as if one of those stones hit you and it hurt really, really bad. I second what ric said as far as the counties and suburbanites, and I'll use my own words here, being cowards and running from problems and refusing to solve them before they come back to roost. So, what's your point? What's the be proud of? The city has real communities, not homeowner association mandated get togethers because you're too busy zipping in out of your homes and cars to actually get to know anyone. If the communities in suburbia were all that, they wouldn't be trying to duplicate the city... the only thing they can drop in Short Pump is saying it's a replacement. Oh and the city has large homes too with modern features and real architecture. The schools would be better had everyone not left leaving those who did not value education as much. It's not exactly the school system, it's personal values. But Henrico has its schools that are not on par with the affluent areas... and that's because they're normal people. Chesterfield isn't perfect either. Overcrowding is not a sign of progress or a badge of honor, it represents poor planning on top of poor planning.

I do complain about Short Pump traffic, but Richmond would be much smarter. We'd have a reason to get the light rail back up and running and unlike Short Pump... and I have walked Short Pump a month ago today... downtown is WALKABLE! So people can ditch their cars and walk. They can rent segues. Short Pump is a quintuple beeyoch to walk. And you love misreading me and missing my point. I don't want exactly what is in Short Pump, but we need something that's a regional draw downtown as ALL downtowns should have. All downtowns are traditionally centers of commerce including retail. They could have spent those billions wisely and totally made downtown Richmond the envy of the entire east coast. But we need to destroy Dillon Rule and our independent city law and we'll probably have a true flourishing metro like other cites across the US. I bet they don't have the city-county feuds the way we have them. Everyone shares in the wealth in some way in other places. Henrico has been lately been a greedy child, snatching up stuff and saying mine mine mine. Today's paper is a fine example... trying to lure more people into their trap. They finally saw the city grew... can't have that! Chesterfield can't decide weather to grow or close off its borders. You know you're notorious for, "I live in such a great county, but no one else is welcomed."

We're fixing Richmond, but the counties need to remove the knives first so we can work at optimum pace. I'll continue hoping for a thriving downtown that'll draw people from the region as it ought. And the next time I'm throwing stones from my soapbox, try not to be in the way.

I lived in the Fan for 10 years. How many years have either of you lived in a nice suburban neighborhood? Clearly by your comments both of you have not. In my neighborhood everyone gets along by choice and there are monthly events planned by the community - not an HOA. We have sidewalks and it is a very friendly place. Sure people drive to work but I'm also sure most people in Richmond do to.

"I do complain about Short Pump traffic, but Richmond would be much smarter."

Now what in the recent history of Richmond would make you think that?

As far as running from problems. I'm sure the two of you live in the worst part of Richmond. I mean why not? Housing there would be cheap and you would be helping solve the problem. Reading all the excuses you guys make for the cities problems is pathetic. Every problem the city has you want to blame on the counties. I've got a news flash for you - how is blaming the counties going to solve the problems in the city? Perhaps your soap box is so high you are being deprived of oxygen. Living in a dreamworld is not going to help the city. As mentioned before, most great cities also have great suburbs. So why in this case does it have to be either or? Can't the city be complemented by great suburbs?

"As far as running from problems. I'm sure the two of you live in the worst part of Richmond. I mean why not? Housing there would be cheap and you would be helping solve the problem."

I am actually considering moving into Manchester where housing prices are incredibly cheap though the neighborhood as whole still has a ways to go.

"Reading all the excuses you guys make for the cities problems is pathetic. Every problem the city has you want to blame on the counties."

In other words, we should ignore the roll the counties have played and are still playing in the City's struggle with poverty and just pull ourselves up by our bootstraps? Thanks.

"I've got a news flash for you - how is blaming the counties going to solve the problems in the city?"

I'm simply pointing out the facts and history behind the current situation. Despite little to no aid from the counties, Richmond does continue to move forward and improve albeit at a slower pace than it could be. Here's a question for you... considering the roots of Richmond's issues, do you feel the counties should be helping the City tackle poverty, homelessness, and education as a cooperative regional effort?

We CAN have both a great city and great suburbs but not while the current system that ensures the City will be dealing with the vast majority of social and economic issues is in place. We have to face these issues collectively, either through regional cooperation or by combining the suburbs and City as most metro-areas in the Unites States have done. I know people hate being asked to help others especially in conservative regions like the counties but it's the only fair solution. Richmond has shouldered the economic burden of white flight for a half century. I think it's time the counties pay the piper.

Thanks Burt. I'm slowly uploading the pics from my Short Pump mega walk. I believe the WBV ones are all on there.

I agree with Ric, the counties are not innocent and the current state of the city political circus had not always been the case. NYCJSW what would you advise the city to do if it's so simple? Every city does have suburbs but they don't try to name themselves "The New [ENTER CITY NAME HERE]" as Short Pump is doing. Again I point out because you missed it, no other suburb in Richmond's history has made such a bold claim to slap the city in its face. That's the main issue. It's not suburbanite bashing, but your attitudes don't help.

I've lived part-time in the suburbs through various portions of my life, either in northen Henrico or Eastern Henrico. My house was built in the suburbs before being annexed and as I said before, I live approximately 500 feet from the Henrico line. I can see Henrico from my house!

What's desired is fairness instead of hostility and overinflated superiority complexes.

IMO, ric75 put the matter to rest when he wrote on September 19th:

"The metro-area has room enough for these two completely different places to exist and flourish and the physical distance between the two insures that."

Some people just like the attention that comes with drama.

Archived