Short Pump Developments

TBurban

• Replies 895
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey everyone,

I've been reading through this thread about WBV because I'm doing a community analysis of Short Pump for my Urban Planning and Development class at UVa. I want to make WBV one of the focuses of my analysis. One of the first steps I want to take is getting in touch with UniCorp, which some of you seem to have had some success doing. What's the easiest way to get ahold of someone from UniCorp to talk to me about the project, the difficulties it's faced, and its implications for the area? All I seem to find are e-mail addresses to contact if you're interested in buying or leasing property or office space. Moreover, any suggestions that might help would be much appreciated. I'm glad I stumbled on this forum- you guys seem to really know your crap.

Thanks in advance,

Michael

I'm pretty sure Tommy (TBurban) may have contacts for you. Give him a message.

Welcome to the forum!

Oh and I know Channel 6 will be talking about vanishing Richmond history and I know they showed WBV. Of course I'm still angry over the erasure of Three Chopt and the creation of the fake Three Chopt. Jefferson didn't take the fake one to Richmond from Charlottesville. I forget what day they're doing it... so stay tuned.

Hey everyone,

I've been reading through this thread about WBV because I'm doing a community analysis of Short Pump for my Urban Planning and Development class at UVa. I want to make WBV one of the focuses of my analysis. One of the first steps I want to take is getting in touch with UniCorp, which some of you seem to have had some success doing. What's the easiest way to get ahold of someone from UniCorp to talk to me about the project, the difficulties it's faced, and its implications for the area? All I seem to find are e-mail addresses to contact if you're interested in buying or leasing property or office space. Moreover, any suggestions that might help would be much appreciated. I'm glad I stumbled on this forum- you guys seem to really know your crap.

Thanks in advance,

Michael

:offtopic: Go Hoos!! Nice to see other alumni on this message board! Good luck on your community analysis - sorry I don't have much in the way of help for you...I don't live locally anymore. Hope to see you around more!

-Eric (Col '02)

Hey everyone,

Thanks in advance,

Michael

Mike -

I majored in Urban Planning. I kept some of my college projects and I have plenty of literature you may barrow. It maybe a bit old, however the theories of urban fabric are still in practice.

PM to let me know if you are interested.

Hey everyone,

Thanks in advance,

Michael

Anecdotally, my family is moving to this area from Little Rock.

I'm in a masters program for information quality. One of my courses is information visualization. I gave an article presentation about a geovisualization tool being developed at UNC. The UNC research group is focused on the concept of urban legibility.

I emailed the professors on the project for additional information. They were very responsive to my questions. Here is a link to a presentation given by researcher, Remco Chang, to Google about the project.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8701572499474267154.

Here is a demo video posted online:

http://viscenter.uncc.edu/~rchang/publicat...ible-cities.mov

Here is the link to research partners (Remco Chang) homepage:

http://viscenter.uncc.edu/~rchang/

Selfishly, I wanted to analyze Short Pump / Richmond data using their tool to see if I could gain any insights before making our decision on our house. I never asked. With your academic goals, I bet you'd have a better chance.

Good luck

Apparently I'm not allowed to send you guys PMs? If someone could shoot Tommy a PM asking to shoot me a line, that would pretty much make my day. Evan, I'm going to try and get in touch with the group you suggested-- those apartments over retail is actually what attracted me to this project for this analysis. Turboturtle, I'll go through all that when I'm somewhere where I can listen to/find headphones.

Thanks for the help and suggestions, guys. I'm no expert and this crap is a lot more complicated than I thought lol

Apparently I'm not allowed to send you guys PMs? If someone could shoot Tommy a PM asking to shoot me a line, that would pretty much make my day. Evan, I'm going to try and get in touch with the group you suggested-- those apartments over retail is actually what attracted me to this project for this analysis. Turboturtle, I'll go through all that when I'm somewhere where I can listen to/find headphones.

Thanks for the help and suggestions, guys. I'm no expert and this crap is a lot more complicated than I thought lol

Welcome to the boards!

For Unicorp, regarding WBV, I would contact under Tenant Services/Property Management. I always title mine West Broad Village-Short Pump Virginia. Last time I contacted them they were very helpful and provided renderings, time lines, tenants and project build-out--all of which have changed drastically over the past year.

Evanf's link to LeCesse Development is also a good contact. They keep up-to-date progress of the 5-story mixed use buildings, road construction and out parcels.

If you ever get the chance to visit WBV in person, they have an Information Kiosk on site (a trailer) that has Unicorp representatives, and representatives from the three companies building the townhomes, Eagle, Prospect and Ryan; each of which also have websites.

Eagle

Prospect

Ryan

Here's a direct link to WBV's website just in case, and Downtown Short Pump's website that also has some info.

Let me know if I can provide any further info! Good luck on your report.

Welcome to the boards!

For Unicorp, regarding WBV, I would contact under Tenant Services/Property Management. I always title mine West Broad Village-Short Pump Virginia. Last time I contacted them they were very helpful and provided renderings, time lines, tenants and project build-out--all of which have changed drastically over the past year.

Evanf's link to LeCesse Development is also a good contact. They keep up-to-date progress of the 5-story mixed use buildings, road construction and out parcels.

If you ever get the chance to visit WBV in person, they have an Information Kiosk on site (a trailer) that has Unicorp representatives, and representatives from the three companies building the townhomes, Eagle, Prospect and Ryan; each of which also have websites.

Eagle

Prospect

Ryan

Here's a direct link to WBV's website just in case, and Downtown Short Pump's website that also has some info.

Let me know if I can provide any further info! Good luck on your report.

Ah, thank you! I actually live in Short Pump, so I'll have the chance to visit the site when I go home for Thanksgiving break. Thanks for the tip about the trailer/info kiosk...it's always easier to get people to talk to you when they can't ignore you with the click of a mouse...

I've lived in Short Pump for over 9 years now and the growth of the area absolutely astonishes me every time I go home. One interesting aside: I looked at the 2000 census and it said that Short Pump had 182 residents. Something tells me the government has a different notion of boundaries than the residents do...

Actually, the government does. I'm with them. I don't believe Wellseley, Twin Hickory, Wyndham, or Innsbrook count as Short Pump, nor should they. Each place has a proper name.

yeah, the closest articulation i've come across as to the bounadries of short pump has been a triangulation of the Henrico-Goochland line, Church Road, and the 64 overpass on Pouncey Tract.

Unicorp responded immediately and gave me some good insight. Apparently they've leased out about 2/3 of all their spaces already. I've also gotten in touch with the Henrico County Planning people. Again, thanks for all the help so far.

vdogg--if you see this, would you please change the title of this thread to Short Pump Development? Thanks!

Updates!

The Corner at Short Pump: Land has been fully cleared to the borders in the photo below

corneratshortpumpsite.png

Towne Center West: The Hilton is at 5 stories and climbing!

West Broad Village: Mimi's Cafe framing is up and work continues on the facades of the 5 story mixed use buildings and the aLoft Hotel.

Unicorp responded immediately and gave me some good insight. Apparently they've leased out about 2/3 of all their spaces already. I've also gotten in touch with the Henrico County Planning people. Again, thanks for all the help so far.

Good to hear! 2/3 is a decent number considering the economy. Glad you got a quick, informative response from them.

I took some pictures of WBV yesterday, namely the buildings they've completed next to Whole Foods (apartments above retail). In matching pictures I've taken to Unicorp's lease plan, I'm pretty impressed by how well they've disguised the parking garage. I honestly am not even entirely positive which one it is in my pictures. Is this parking garage going to be for tenents or for customers coming to the retail shops?

I've been in Charlottesville for the last couple of months, so I was pretty surprised to see all the land that was being cleared for the Corner at Short Pump. When I first heard about the possible development there, St. Mary's had been thinking about building a new health center there, but apparently Kroger decided that it's current location 2 minutes away from this one wasn't good enough.

It's obvious, Short Pump doesn't know the meaning of recession. Amazing that channel 8 or 12 (I forget) did a story about how hard it is to attract businesses now. They were on the wrong side of town... showing the vacant places at White Oak, and Best Buy Station... as well as Laburnum Park. I've seen a lot of vacant store fronts in Mechanicsville in the Hanover Squares. I guess Short Pump is a vacuum, sucking businesses in as well as living in one where reality is a dream.

Businesses are taking it just as hard out here as they are anywhere else. Innsbrook's vacancy rate is more than 50%, and I know of more than a dozen businesses large and small -very real- on the verge of going under out here. Towne Center West has stopped construction on the mixed use and additional retail spaces and WBV's townhome construction is way behind schedule. It's over-publicized is what Short Pump is; too much credit for what it's really worth. Even if this area doesn't show it aesthetically, I can reassure you the people feel it just as bad as anyone else.

Businesses are taking it just as hard out here as they are anywhere else. Innsbrook's vacancy rate is more than 50%, and I know of more than a dozen businesses large and small -very real- on the verge of going under out here. Towne Center West has stopped construction on the mixed use and additional retail spaces and WBV's townhome construction is way behind schedule. It's over-publicized is what Short Pump is; too much credit for what it's really worth. Even if this area doesn't show it aesthetically, I can reassure you the people feel it just as bad as anyone else.

The Hilton is still under construction at Towne Center West.

If there is a construction slow-down out there it isn't apparent to the eye of this visitor. I was in and out of Whole Foods, Trader Joe's and Tom Leonard's, all crowded with customers, and drove around the entire area. WBV was teeming with builders erecting flats, commercial spaces, the aLoft hotel as well as roadways. It appears there will be a sort of "grand" boulevard running east/west in the complex and entries from West Broad Street are landscaped and wide.

At Town Center West there seemed to be considerably more activity than during my last visit in July. The Hilton has risen to about the 5th level, but whatever is the hotel behind Dominion Motors still doesn't have a name that I could see, although opening is announced for this month.

Massive earth movements are underway at Lauderdale Drive and West Broad Street.

And I can't recall exactly where it was, but work was underway on a stretch of the new John Rolfe Pkway.

Didn't get into Short Pump Town Center to check out progress on Sierra Suites.

Noticed the flyovers near I-64 and Pouncy Tract Road.

Innsbrook is nowhere near 50% vacancy. That would be a complete collapse. Including sublease availability it should be under 15%. And I don't think Short Pump is immune to the downturn. Not everything happening out there is as rosy as it may appear...

I admit to misinterpreting that one, it was in reference to a loss of square footage, not vacancy rate; my fault, sorry.

The Hilton is still under construction at Towne Center West.

The Hilton is, but the residential over retail and the last of the retail pads are on hold until further notice. It may just be until the Hilton is topped out or possibly longer.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived