Short Pump Developments

TBurban

• Replies 895
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Small excavators and other machinery have been brought on-site at the Corner at Short Pump development. Clearing of land should be soon to follow.

The walls on the 5 story mixed use buildings at WBV are quickly rising.

Work continues on the 2nd floor of the Sierra Suites Hotel at SPTC, and an outparcel site along the mall near Chili's has been cleared for future retail/restaurant space.

Tutor Time and Kan Pai are on the rise at TCW.

Foundation is being laid for the future Silver Diner at the corner of Cox and Broad. Along with this development will be retail space and one accompanying outparcel.

• 2 weeks later...

*waiting for the parade*

Are you really jealous of this place? I look at all the chain stores and restaurants dotting the map, the giant surface lots, and the nightmare that is Pump Road and Broad and the first thought that comes to mind is "Ugh". This is any sprawled out suburb USA and those who enjoy the more unique urban areas should be glad this is happening well to the west of us and not within the city limits. Just my completely biased, anti-suburbia thought for the day ;)

I'm not jealous. I think it's beyond overkill. Think about what we could have done with all that money thrown out there if we used it as a unified region or downtown alone instead of Henrico seeking to build its own city. It's only a matter of time before Hazelett starts throwing parades for each forest and farm mowed down under his watch in Short Pump. Nothing being built out there is exciting and is actually more of a wedge between Richmond and Henrico.

Wow I would of wished anything but that. Last I remembered Starbucks was closing 100 locations but yet they open many new ones here in Richmond. They have a Starbucks that just opened up at Parham and Staples Mill Road across the street from Burger King.

Normally, I would agree with that statement. It does appear to be overkill on the surface, BUT, have you ever attempted to get a cup from any of the existing Starbucks out there? They could build 20 of them and still have lines out of the parking lots.

Also, I would like to say that I had the unpleasant experience yesterday at 5pm, to leave Strange's at Gayton and Broad and drive to the Super King Buffet on Broad, just east of Parham. It took me 35 minutes!! I got jammed-up just before Pouncy Tract and Broad (I finally got through the light after 5 cycles!!) and didn't have smooth sailing until after the 295 ramps. I don't know how in the hell people put up with that every day. If I had to deal with that crap on a regular basis, you would find me sitting in the middle of Broad Street one day, with a self-inflicted gunshot wound to my head. That traffic situation out there is the second-worst I have ever encountered!! The only experience worse than that little stretch of road would be getting jammed-up on I-93 in Boston before the big dig.

I'm sure there will be one at White Oak Village...

From what I hear, they can stay away. I recall the Simpsons gag where Starbucks took over a whole mall... that was before I had ever heard of one.

Has anybody heard anything about the Starbucks that was supposed to be opening in the Omni. It's been "under construction" for 6 months and I'm concerned that it might have been axed in the lastest corporate replanning.

That is actually not a corporate store, so it has nothing to do with Starbuck's expansion plans. I could only speculate on the reason for delay.

So, work is going on at Town Center West, eh?

What is Tutor Time?

I suppose KAN PAI is another of the tipani, habachi and sushi Japanese chains. Has anyone heard of it?

Tutor Time is a national daycare/child-care chain.

Sorry to interrupt the discussion guys. I was just doing some research on Short Pump and the town center there and happened upon this thread. BTW: how much of West Broad Village is built out? Is it still planned to have a Whole Foods and Trader Joe's? I assume this is it here in this birds-eye view:

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&...8&encType=1

(image is probably a few years old)

Also, the world doesn't need any more Starbucks (poor quality coffee anyway) IMO. Do you guys have any new local coffee shops in Richmond? They're springing up everywhere in our area, and actually putting a couple of Starbuck's on the skids.

Whole Foods is under construction with delivery later in 08. Trader Joe's is purportedly going in at a shopping center adjacent to, but not part of, West Broad Village. So far nothing is built out in WBV, but I'm sure things will start ramping up quickly soon.

As far as local coffee shops, most would be found inside the city proper, though there are some sprinkled in the burbs.

That bird's eye view is from sometime last year.

Whole Foods is under construction with delivery later in 08. Trader Joe's is purportedly going in at a shopping center adjacent to, but not part of, West Broad Village. So far nothing is built out in WBV, but I'm sure things will start ramping up quickly soon.

As far as local coffee shops, most would be found inside the city proper, though there are some sprinkled in the burbs.

That bird's eye view is from sometime last year.

Thank you wrldcoupe4! :thumbsup:

Coffee:

I tend to favor 7-11 coffee over starbucks. Something about the Starbucks burnt bean taste that doesn't go down well. "The Slev" has always satisfied my coffee jones. Other than my steady-freddy, there is a Cafe on Grace around 4th street that has good coffee. I got a good cup there after the grand illumination. Also I used to get great cups at this place in shockoe slip near the fountain. It's beside the Martin Agency. I can't remember the name (Bowers maybe), but they had some good stuff!! I have been leaning towards Dunkin Donuts coffee lately. I grind and brew their bean at home and it comes out tasting like the old 3rd Street Diner coffee. MMmmmmm.

I don't think there is one Starbucks in the entire east end... maybe at the airport. I guess we're one place they haven't discovered... the last place on Earth.

One just opened in Mechanicsville on Bell Creek Road. Don't know if that's east enough for you, but there it is next to a Noodles & Company which is about to open and a Chick-Fi-Lay. And what about the one in The Market store on Main Street? Is that closed?

My apologies for going to the other end of town in the "West Broad Village" thread.

Archived