Short Pump Developments

TBurban

I thought you "retired"... <_<

Ill be around now and then, in between jobs so Ive got a little more spare time than usual. I don't know what to do with myself! Plus, this is the only subject on this site I know a decent enough amount about to contribute regularly. Until I move all I've got on downtown is street smarts -_-

• Replies 895
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This project is rising incredibly quickly. I appreciate the layout and the fact that it isn't simply a shopping center with huge surface lot and garden apartments in rear. We'd all be better off with more walkable, mixed-use communities. Though, I must say that I'm a bit underwhelmed by this project. It gives off a very plastic, Disneyfied feel. When comparing it to Rockett's for example, a comparable new urbanism projcet, Rockett's seems to be more genuine in feeling and appearance. Perhaps I'll feel differently when it's all finished.

Where can I find a larger version? My eyes are too old to see something that small. I am sure there others who would agree. :P

Haha, no problem! Here you go guys:

vg4j8g.jpg

I agree coupe, though it's no Rocketts, it's a nice break in the wave of strip malls we've been getting out here.

I could have used some company today Tommy... who has his phone off!

I walked up Broad from S&K to the Goochland line and back, except I had parked at Best Buy so the return trip was a little shorter. I also made a couple of detours along the way, including a walk through to Three Chopt which won't be around much longer as the fake Three Chopt takes over. They already have the replacement road on both sides ready to go whenever they want to finish destroying the road Jefferson and other historicals travelled. I have found I'm not the only one who cares about this road and its history. John M showed me Trevor Dickerson's next project, documenting Three Chopt which I had wanted to do. I've driven the portions left in Goochland, Louisa, and Fluvana turning around at Zions Crossroads. I'll have to check RCW for the exact date of that. Anyway, I took my fourth or fifth set of pics of the Three Chopt behind WBV. I headed back to Broad, crossed to the median at what used to be Deep Run Turnpike's end at Three Chopt, now Broad and the under construction John Rolfe Pkwy (which I still wish could have run from the end of I-295). I also zig zagged to what used to be the intersection of Three Chopt and Pouncy Tract. Got to Pump and geez could there be a more pedestrian hating intersection? I crossed at Old Three Chopt and Pump and walked through Short Pump Crossing back to Broad where I continued to Tuckahoe Creek and crossed to the other side on the bridge. Now did you guys know Henrico did go through with realigning their western border? I knew I was actually in Goochland before I got to the creek. I see it is marked right where the new line is.

The return trip was horrible. I should not have done this as a continuous walk. I had through after I had done the Three Chopt walk to get some water and drive to another spot and walk from there. I thought I'd just go to Gayton and turn around, but I kept going. Talk about the walking dead on the way back. I hardly had any energy to dart across the multiple driveways and intersections. The crossing of Pouncy Tract, like Pump across the street is 5 super King Kamehameha bee-yoches. Then as soon as I got to the car I cramped up like crazy.

I wonder how many people have actually walked the sidewalks on both sides of Broad? It was quite lonely. At one point there was a jogger and a mother and two children on bikes. Other than that, people looked at me like I was crazy again. But someone knew me, they honked and waved but they were going so fast I couldn't figure out who it was. So my rough pic total from this walk is 292.

Ok so I traced the route (the straight rought) on google maps. I basically walked 6 miles! I could have made it half way to Richmond!

The entire metro for the most part is not friendly for walking. I doubt you had sidewalks everywhere? I had to walk near Broad and Parham once. The sidewalk would run like 20 feet and then end. For some reason there would be a sidewalk in front of one business and then not for the next 10? There was a dirt path where there wasn't a sidewalk. The county should have sidewalks all up and down Broad.

"Other than that, people looked at me like I was crazy again. But someone knew me, they honked and waved but they were going so fast I couldn't figure out who it was. So my rough pic total from this walk is 292."

Are you sure that was a wave and not a one finger solute? haha

Haha, no problem! Here you go guys:

vg4j8g.jpg

I agree coupe, though it's no Rocketts, it's a nice break in the wave of strip malls we've been getting out here.

Thanks TBurban...

burt and myself each owe you a quarter. Oh wait... burt can give you my quarter since he still owes me. :D

The entire metro for the most part is not friendly for walking. I doubt you had sidewalks everywhere? I had to walk near Broad and Parham once. The sidewalk would run like 20 feet and then end. For some reason there would be a sidewalk in front of one business and then not for the next 10? There was a dirt path where there wasn't a sidewalk. The county should have sidewalks all up and down Broad.

"Other than that, people looked at me like I was crazy again. But someone knew me, they honked and waved but they were going so fast I couldn't figure out who it was. So my rough pic total from this walk is 292."

Are you sure that was a wave and not a one finger solute? haha

Actually the entire way in Short Pump has sidewalks (mins the construction zone) and they stretch way into Goochland County; however, very few people use them! No it wasn't the finger, I'm sure it was someone who went to school with me. I often bump into them in the west end.

We'll call it even, I've owed Burt a quarter for quite some time now!

Guess it's about time to call in my bets, although my skills are not as sharp as they used to be. :good:

Cam, you say that Three Chopt at one time intersected with Pouncy Tract? Isn't Pouncy the north-of-Broad stretch of Pump Road? I know Three Chopt is a twisty road, but how could it have intersected Pump AND Pouncy Tract?

They cleared the land highlighted in red below (the yellow portion towards the left was already cleared), and after doing some research, here's what's proposed:

5pmp11.jpg

This 35+ acre site located in the Innsbrook Office Park, one of the region's premier office locations, has been zoned as an urban mixed-use district. The rezoning of the property has made it possible for the construction of additional office, retail and residential space to replace existing parking.

Future development on the site will have access to extensive pedestrian trails and recreational amenities. Nearby, I-64, I-295 and West Broad Street (U.S. Route 250) provide easy access to the entire metropolitan area.

2zp7d5s.jpg

So that's what's happening there. I know they had cleared off land off Sadler some time ago.

Broad (originially Deep Run Turnpike) used to end at Three Chopt where the light for John Rolfe Parkway is. Three Chopt took a bend in front of Victory Nissan and ran beside its property line. It's right next to Victory where Pouncy Tract split from Three Chopt. Not that long ago, Pouncy Tract was realigned to meet up with Pump. Pump didn't exist in the days when Three Chopt was the main road to Charlottesville. Before the realignment, Pouncy Tract cut across where the 7-Eleven property. The utility wires still mark the route and since Broad didn't exist at that point, Pouncy tract met up with what is now Old Three Chopt right at where it ends now.

From what I can speculate as I have't seen a detailed old map of the area, Across from Old Three Chopt, the road continued roughly along the driveway into the shopping center and I believe the old road's route met up with the current Broad street at Lauderdale and continuted until it turned through the Bank of Richmond property to meet up with the other Old Three Chopt Rd which is a gravelled private road now. The route hovered north of present Broad and there are houses back there that are still on the path. Traces of the road can be seen on aerial shots of the area espcially just east of 288. In Goochland there is another Old Three Chopt that ends at Ashland Rd. I haven't seen any Goochland maps to see how it went north of Broad to meet up with where Manakin Rd branches off of Broad. Take a ride through Goochland on Broad and see how many time Three Chopt crosses the road. Some portions of the road have been renamed.

So that's what's happening there. I know they had cleared off land off Sadler some time ago.

Broad (originially Deep Run Turnpike) used to end at Three Chopt where the light for John Rolfe Parkway is. Three Chopt took a bend in front of Victory Nissan and ran beside its property line. It's right next to Victory where Pouncy Tract split from Three Chopt. Not that long ago, Pouncy Tract was realigned to meet up with Pump. Pump didn't exist in the days when Three Chopt was the main road to Charlottesville. Before the realignment, Pouncy Tract cut across where the 7-Eleven property. The utility wires still mark the route and since Broad didn't exist at that point, Pouncy tract met up with what is now Old Three Chopt right at where it ends now.

From what I can speculate as I have't seen a detailed old map of the area, Across from Old Three Chopt, the road continued roughly along the driveway into the shopping center and I believe the old road's route met up with the current Broad street at Lauderdale and continuted until it turned through the Bank of Richmond property to meet up with the other Old Three Chopt Rd which is a gravelled private road now. The route hovered north of present Broad and there are houses back there that are still on the path. Traces of the road can be seen on aerial shots of the area espcially just east of 288. In Goochland there is another Old Three Chopt that ends at Ashland Rd. I haven't seen any Goochland maps to see how it went north of Broad to meet up with where Manakin Rd branches off of Broad. Take a ride through Goochland on Broad and see how many time Three Chopt crosses the road. Some portions of the road have been renamed.

I had no idea, this is really interesting. After I read your comment I went over to maps.live.com and could follow pieces of Three Chopt all the way to Albemarle County. VDOT has a study of the road here.

I have that doc saved on my computer. I tried to follow the path past Charlottesville but it may be tricky. I don't know if it ended at Afton or if it continued through Waynesboro and Staunton. The last Three Notched Road by name I could find was in Crozet.

I believe Manakin Road south of Broad, Fairground Road, Hawk town Rd, Maidens Rd, a part of Roundabout Rd, grace Johnson Rd, Mallory Rd, Baybee Rd, Zion Rd, Sunny Field Ln, and Keswick Rd are renamed sections on the way to Charlottesville.

Through Charlottesville, possibly High St is a section. There is a marker there that says W. Main and University Ave are. I would say it continued up Ivy Rd with possible other routes like Morgantown Rd. Possibly past Crozet Jarman's Gap/Greenwood Rd seems to work and possibly parts of Rockfish Gap Turnpike.

I'll need to reread that VDOT study again to see if any of those names come up.

I had no idea, this is really interesting. After I read your comment I went over to maps.live.com and could follow pieces of Three Chopt all the way to Albemarle County. VDOT has a study of the road here.

Cam and Ich4, this is fascinating history about Three Chopt Road. Are all of the pictured Taverns still standing, I wonder?

There are several roadways in Central Virginia with history dating to Revolutionary days: Three Chopt, of course; Rochambeau Road running east toward Williamsburg from the junction with US 360 in Hanover County, and a portion of US 33 that is known as the Jacque Juet (spelling?) Road. I'm sure there are others besides the obvious ones like Routes 5 and 10.

Since we no longer have a Moderator, does anyone know how to start a new thread on this subject so that we don't intrude on TBurban's excellent coverage of the Short Pump area?

They cleared the land highlighted in red below (the yellow portion towards the left was already cleared), and after doing some research, here's what's proposed:

5pmp11.jpg

2zp7d5s.jpg

I'm confused about this location. Am not familiar with road names in the area, but is that Nuckols running east/west where it intersects with Cox Road? In other words, is the lake in the newest part of Innsbrook?

The red is at the southeast corner of Nuckols and Sadler Rd. Cox is the road starting on the right in the center. I'm not sure which part is new althought I'd suspect the back end, so kinda. My old building's at the top of the pic.

Thanks for more roads to look up Burt!

• 2 weeks later...

A small Short Pump update:

WOW-West Broad Village's recent opening of Whole Foods has added a lot of traffic to that entire stretch of Broad from Cox to Pouncey Tract. Still no surprise, but still overwhelming. Speaking of which, driving into the main entrance of WBV is awesome, the storefronts are really coming together nicely, and the stretch of road leading into Whole Foods just past Kona Grills future location looks really good. The streets are all brick pavers, and the lane dividers are a light tan brick instead of the usual white spray paint. The main stretch of WBV should be fully opened by late this year or very early next year as facades continue to go up on the apartments and aLoft hotel. Ill try and snap pictures sometime soon.

The 64/295 flyover project is really coming together nicely. I also noticed that interstate exit signs will be replaced with more appropriate ones. Cam should like this; the signs on 64 eastbound just passing under the flyover that read 250 West Short Pump and 250 East Richmond will now read 250 west Broad and 250 east Broad.

The Hilton is approaching street level in construction height, and land clearing continues on the 3-5 story mixed use buildings fronting Broad at TCW.

Also to note on WBV, more land has been cleared on the eastbound 64 merge lane that borders WBV. Im not sure if it will be used for interstate widening, or for the proposed 13 story office towers and 8 story hotel; my guess would be the office towers and hotel.

Tommy, may we infer from your report that Whole Foods is doing fantastic business in its first few days?

Have you been inside the market? If so, what is your opinion?

Incredible turnout; the line to get in the parking lot stretched all the way around the perimeter of Whole Foods and because of that..I haven't been able to get in yet. I'm gunna try and pop in later tonight.

Incredible turnout; the line to get in the parking lot stretched all the way around the perimeter of Whole Foods and because of that..I haven't been able to get in yet. I'm gunna try and pop in later tonight.

Just got an e-mail from a friend who said she went today, but didn't stay too long because of the crowd. She said police were directing traffic and parking was very limited. Liked what she saw, though.

Archived