Louisiana Sports Talk

NCB

WOW! Where do I begin. This win was BIG, and it sure feels good! The Saints played a complete game IMO. Steve Gleason's blocked punt/ recovered for TD early in the game set the tone! Then there was the double reverse TD; that was sweet! The thing that stands-out is the Saints Defense; they trailed(followed) Vick the whole night and contained and Dunn too. I figured the game would be closer; this day was just meant to be for the Saints who are 3-0 for the 1st time! :yahoo:

WOW! Where do I begin. This win was BIG, and it sure feels good! The Saints played a complete game IMO. Steve Gleason's blocked punt/ recovered for TD early in the game set the tone! Then there was the double reverse TD; that was sweet! The thing that stands-out is the Saints Defense; they trailed(followed) Vick the whole night and contained and Dunn too. I figured the game would be closer; this day was just meant to be for the Saints who are 3-0 for the 1st time! :yahoo:

Historical and emotional reasons aside (you know, all the stuff about returning to the Superdome), as a game itself, the Saints deserved to win after the way the Falcons played. As I said in my previous post, the Falcons defense was full of holes (no pressure on Brees, etc.) and the offense was subpar as well.

However, all things considered, I think you guys would have won last night unless our defense had been spectacular.

I believe the next game will be closer. I'm not saying the Falcons will win it (though, personally, I think they will, but that's a fan thing), but it will be closer.

Yeah I realize it was all part of the script. This was just a "New Orleans" night, meant to be successful. "The Great Spirit was with them", As Native Americans once said when George Washington miraculously dodged death many times during battle.

The NFC South is always a battle-field...throw out the records, it's usually close; including Saints/Falcons game. No doubt it will be much closer next time. In years past the Bucs had the Falcons number; the Saints had the Bucs; and the Falcons got the best of the Saints...interesting.

Before the season started many people were predicting the Panthers off to the Super Bowl; And I said the Panthers-Saints would split their two games this season.

Yeah I realize it was all part of the script. This was just a "New Orleans" night, meant to be successful. "The Great Spirit was with them", As Native Americans once said when George Washington miraculously dodged death many times during battle.

The NFC South is always a battle-field...throw out the records, it's usually close; including Saints/Falcons game. No doubt it will be much closer next time. In years past the Bucs had the Falcons number; the Saints had the Bucs; and the Falcons got the best of the Saints...interesting.

Before the season started many people were predicting the Panthers off to the Super Bowl; And I said the Panthers-Saints would split their two games this season.

Yes, well the joke around here is that we got to see the Saints play last night. We wanted to see the Falcons play, but apparently they didn't.

Huge win for the Saints! I won't comment on the importance of the game on the city away from the football game itself, because I think we've all heard about that enough. But just looking at it from a football standpoint, this win was huge. The Saints are now 3-0 for the 5th time in their 40 year history, and stand atop the NFC South now. They came out and played extremely well, almost flawless, against the Falcons Monday night. I know the Falcons had some holes in their D, but I don't care, this time, the Saints just absolutely dominated. It doesn't matter if it was the Falcons or the Colts, the Saints were not going to lose in their Dome under these circumstances. Anyway, with the way the Saints are playing, if we keep it up, I could very well see us at 6-0 going into our big matchup vs Philadelphia in the Dome in 3 weeks. :thumbsup:

Sunday's game will not be easy vs. the Panthers. It's always tougher coming off Monday nights. But the way the Saints are playing, they could beat the Eagles too.

Saints are now 3-0 for the 5th time in their 40 year history

I was not aware they had started 3-0 that many times. Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

Wow...you aint kiddin' the Bucs at 0-3...and QB Chris Simms loses his spleen in the process. :wacko:

Sunday's game will not be easy vs. the Panthers. It's always tougher coming off Monday nights.

Oh no, definately not. The Saints and the Panthers always play very tough and close games, no matter how good either team is, what's on the line, or where it's played. Hopefully we just continue to move in the right direction. :thumbsup:

By the way guys, in case you missed the AWESOME pregame performance by Green Day and U2 before Monday night's Saints game, you should definately check it out. "The Saints are Coming" really got me going, as did "There is a house in New Orleans, they call the Superdome"....To the tune of "The House of the Rising Sun." which was sung by Billie Joe Armstrong of Green Day.

You can see the entire 10 minute performance, here.

The last thing I'd like to say about the game, this, of course, being the opinion of an outsider to the city, is that I wished that the announcers would have talked a little more about football. Obviously New Orleans' recovery is indeed worth a few minutes of their time, but I wanted to hear them talk about some football, specifically the Falcons-Saints game.

NFC South

New Orleans: 3-0

Atlanta: 2-1

Carolina: 1-2

Tampa: 0-3

Who would have expected that three weeks into the season, we would see the Saints at 3-0, and the Bucs at 0-3? :huh:

I'm going to be candid here, NCB (which is courageous considering I'm in a Louisiana forum with rabid fans. Man, I wish Atlanta's forumers were this interested in sports).

The next game the Falcons and Saints play will, assuming all else plays up to its usual standard, come down to how the Falcons' defense performs. If the Falcons defense can stop the New Orleans offense, then the Falcons will win for sure. However, if the Falcons' defense plays like it did last night or lfor most of last year, the Saints will win. If John Abraham is healthy and puts the pressure on Brees like he did to Carolina's QB, then I'm betting on a Falcons win.

Assuming both the offense and defense of the New Orleans Saints play well....

If the Falcons offense plays like it should (rather than the somewhat below average, but by no means terrible) with a good defense, we'll (the Falcons, of course) win, say...24-17.

But, if the Falcons defense is bad but the offense is still good, we'll see the Saints win, say...23-10.

If both the Falcons defense and offense play badly, we'll see another 23-3.

I'm thinking the Falcons will win anyways, but that's just me.

If Carolina and Tampa play like they have been, then the NFC South will be decided by one game: the 2nd Falcons-Saints game. I'm going to go further out on a limb here and say that the Wild Card will also come to the NFC South.

As for the Carolina-Saints game, I think the Saints will win, but it's gonna be close. Carolina's a great team (remember how they dominated last year until TB beat them for the championship), but they've been stumbling lately. However, they still are good enough to remain a threat to either one of our teams in the quest for the title, as is TB.

Thoughts?

Edited by ironchapman

Carolina is at home and it's never easy coming back from a Monday night game for some reason.( 1 less day to heal-up; 1 less day to prepare). I expect a close game with the Saints/Panthers, but then again I expected a close game last Monday night?? The Panthers have had plenty of injuries this year. What a difference WR-Steve Smith makes. His absence was all the difference in the world starting 0-2, I'm suprised one player could (even as good as he is ) they would struggle so much!!! Losing LB-Dan Morgan(concussions) who has been their leading tackler really hurts the Panthers too.

The Bucs are in some serious trouble, hard to believe they are 0-3 like the Saints are at 3-0. I expect the Falcons to bounce back; however Vick will have to do more than just run the ball. It's going to be interesting and alot of fun too!

Yea, it's 28-0 now, and I hope it doesn't get too out of hand. The second quarter just started, and JaMarcus Russell already has over 200 yards passing. But LSU has never been one to run up the score, which shows a lot of class. Hopefully both teams will be able to get their 2nd and 3rd stringers plenty of playing time later in the game.

Yea, it's 28-0 now, and I hope it doesn't get too out of hand. The second quarter just started, and JaMarcus Russell already has over 200 yards passing. But LSU has never been one to run up the score, which shows a lot of class. Hopefully both teams will be able to get their 2nd and 3rd stringers plenty of playing time later in the game.

I think the score was 35-3 before I went out to our big BBB Festival here. Anyone have a final score?

^ Yeah JaMarcus Russell had a big-day; and a career-high 330 yards passing! The game today also had a 52 minute lightning delay.

***CONGRATS !!! To the John Curtis Christian Patriots for defeating the # 1 ranked HS Team in the U.S. Hoover HS 28-14 in Alabama Friday night !!! Props to the Patriots; the hurricane could NOT slow down the "machine". The "powerhouse" continues. All-purpose player Joe McKnight has some Reggie Bush like qualities with his speed and catching ability out of the backfield. LSU has plenty of competition in the recruiting war for his services.

Edited by richyb83

Not looking too good for LSU right now, and yet again, we just continue to kill ourselves. LSU easily could have been up by two touchdowns going into halftime, but stupid mistakes(turnovers) continue to kill us. Hopefully things will improve.

Yeah Nate...shooting themselves in the foot with 6 turnovers is not going to get it done vs. a #5th ranked team on the road. It's ashame b/c LSU is very capable of being undefeated. That's the difference in being a "great team" and a "good team".

The three consecutive plays....

The TD by Buster Davis that was taken away on an absurd holding call in the 2nd qtr. Then Hester comes so close(inches) from scoring from 17yds. away...the review said his elbow touched the ground first. Then.. the QB/Center exchange is fumbled on the goal-line; that IMO was the begining of the end. So close, yet so far!

And with that loss, we can kiss any hope of an SEC Championship or a BCS Bowl goodbye. It's really a shame too, because this team is the most talented team in the SEC, if not the nation.

And that brings up the question, is Les Miles the guy for the job? I've been trying to be patient with his playcalling and results, but after these two losses, I can't say I'm happy with the guy we picked for the job. This year, he has been in two very big games, and has lost them both. And with the talent that this team possesses, there is absolutely no excuse for that.

And with that loss, we can kiss any hope of an SEC Championship or a BCS Bowl goodbye. It's really a shame too, because this team is the most talented team in the SEC, if not the nation.

And that brings up the question, is Les Miles the guy for the job? I've been trying to be patient with his playcalling and results, but after these two losses, I can't say I'm happy with the guy we picked for the job. This year, he has been in two very big games, and has lost them both. And with the talent that this team possesses, there is absolutely no excuse for that.

I can understand the frustration, but they still have a shot at the SEC Championship. I don't know their schedule but I think they've gotten past the hardest teams in the SEC. It could potentially wind up being decided at the Arkansas game. I'm pretty sure Arkansas will lose an SEC game before then. That and Auburn is playing at Florida this weekend so there's probably going to be another lose there for them. This certainly isn't the way you'd want to get in but I think there's still some hope for LSU fans.

Well, we've got the Saints playing the Bucs in the Superdome in about half an hour, so hopefully my Saints can make up for that LSU loss. :D

Well, my wish was granted, the Saints beat Tampa Bay 24-21 today in the Superdome. Thanks to an amazing 65 yard punt return by Reggie Bush late in the 4th quarter that went for a touchdown, and the defense really stepping up late, the Saints were able to overcome a 4 point lead and eventually win the game. With this win, the Saints move on to 4-1, and Tampa falls to 0-4.

Was that BIG or what !!! 24-21 in another great NFC South rivalry!!! GO SAINTS !! :yahoo: It was only a matter of time before Reggie Bush got his TD !!! Thanks again to the Houston Texans for sending the gift of a super-talented player and great person too! Deuce McAllister had 123 yards rushing today; including a beautiful 24 yd. TD ! Reggie Bush had a eye-popping :blink: 11 receptions!!!

Up next the Philadelphia Eagles.

Reggie Bush recently donated $86,000 to resurface the City Park HS football stadium.