Louisiana Sports Talk

NCB

I have a good friend that lives just outside of Sheridan Ar; He said their coach Houston Nutt's gotta go. And All-SEC RB-Darren Mc Fadden was not 100% vs. USC playing with a dislocated big toe. This Vanderbilt game could tell the season ? Arkansas lost alot of close, tough games(Georgia,LSU) last year. I think RB Peyton Hillis needs to be more involved. Sorry just my 2cents.

^Yes Rod, I am curious as well on your opinion of the Razorbacks. This pre-season they had a sleeper type team that could really suprise.

Edited by richyb83

I know this is the Louisiana forum, but Rod, what do you think about the Razorbacks this season? The first half of the game vs USC was very entertaining, but UA just fell apart in the second half. How do you see their season panning out?

I think the defense is pretty good. Their problem in the USC game is that the offense was on the field so little and eventually the defense just got worn out. Overall I'm not too optimistic though. They only managed to put 20 points on Utah State. Granted we did go to a freshman quarterback. The fact that we have a freshman quarterback and a new offense could cause some problems. I just hope they continue to get better as the season goes on. But obviously at this point this season I think we just have to hope for middle of the pack in the SEC West. I certainly can't see us being too much of a threat to either LSU or Auburn.

I have a good friend that lives just outside of Sheridan Ar; He said their coach Houston Nutt's gotta go. And All-SEC RB-Darren Mc Fadden was not 100% vs. USC playing with a dislocated big toe. This Vanderbilt game could tell the season ? Arkansas lost alot of close, tough games(Georgia,LSU) last year. I think RB Peyton Hillis needs to be more involved. Sorry just my 2cents.

^Yes Rod, I am curious as well on your opinion of the Razorbacks. This pre-season they had a sleeper type team that could really suprise.

True, Arkansas was on the verge of being a decent team last year. As far as Nutt goes there's been quite a few people disenchanted with him for a while now. I guess I'm sorta in the middle on him. I'm not quite so ready to run him off. Arkansas just isn't one of those powerhouse teams and isn't likely to be able to bring in the greatest coach. If you bring in someone who doesn't have Arkansas ties and turns out to be good I think he'd just leave for a bigger school and wouldn't stay long. They are involving Hillis more, last year he also got injured which made it hard to include him as much as they would have liked. Like I said I think the biggest thing will just be getting the new offense down. The offensive coordinator is ironically from one of the local high schools and this is his first college experiance. The offense will have potential but I'm not sure how quickly everyone is going to pick up on it. I'm hoping Arkansas might be one of those teams that could get hot near the end of the year and perhaps pull off a few upsets. But for now they certainly aren't looking like anything close to the caliber of the top SEC teams.

The offensive coordinator is ironically from one of the local high schools and this is his first college experiance.

I know the High School you are talking about, powerhouse Springdale HS. I saw them on TV last year when they easily handled Evangel-Shreveport which had a strong team. The O-Coordinator brought some players with him to the Razorbacks; QB-Mitch Mustain, WR-Damian Williams, TE-Ben Cleveland, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few others. That will take some time, but like you said, they could be clicking on all cylinders by seasons end.

I know the High School you are talking about, powerhouse Springdale HS. I saw them on TV last year when they easily handled Evangel-Shreveport which had a strong team. The O-Coordinator brought some players with him to the Razorbacks; QB-Mitch Mustain, WR-Damian Williams, TE-Ben Cleveland, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few others. That will take some time, but like you said, they could be clicking on all cylinders by seasons end.

It's certainly going to be a lot different fromusual offense of just running the ball from the past decade or two. To be honest I find the change interesting. But as I said it will probably take a bit to get it working. This is Gus Malzahn's first experiance in college football.

Anyway back to Louisiana sports, I've been meaning to ask how LSU managed to lose Booty in recruitment. Was there ever any talk of him possibly going to LSU? If Booty was going to put that many points on the Razorbacks I wished it would have been an SEC school rather than USC.

Anyway back to Louisiana sports, I've been meaning to ask how LSU managed to lose Booty in recruitment. Was there ever any talk of him possibly going to LSU? If Booty was going to put that many points on the Razorbacks I wished it would have been an SEC school rather than USC.

I really don't know much about the Booty at USC. He's either a brother or cousin of Josh Booty, the quarterback who played at LSU 5-6 years ago, and I know that he's from Shreveport. One reason he may have not come to LSU, is because of the fact that we already have some of the best depth at QB in the nation here right now. Our starter, JaMarcus Russell, is really starting to dominate, and is looking like one of the best QB's in the SEC, if not the nation. After him, we have another great QB in Matt Flynn, who came in to replace and injured Russell in the Peach Bowl last year, and absolutely dominated Miami, having a huge game and playing a major role in LSU's 40-3 win over Miami. And at 3rd string, we have redshirt freshman Ryan Perrilloux, who was the top QB prospect, and overall #2 best prospect in the nation in 2005. To sum it up, if there is one position in which we're not lacking talent, its quarterback. If Josh Booty came to LSU now, he would have to fight 3 very good players for playing time, whereas if he went to USC, he was practically guaranteed playing time immediately.

John David Booty's two older brothers QB-Josh and WR-Abram played at LSU. Josh was actually one of the top rated QB's in HS in the country, along fellow Louisiana man Peyton Manning. But Josh Booty opted for baseball instead, being lured by the big $ contract. Baseball never worked-out for him after spending 4? years in the minors. Needless to say(like Nate said) he was not too sucessful while at LSU. The could never seem to shake the rust off. Abram quit the team after two years. So I'm sure J.D. wanted to make a name for himself at USC.

John David actually graduated early in his Sr. year of HS. And attended USC in the Spring to get a head start. He had been waiting patiently behind Matt Leinhart the past couple of years. I wish him the best, eventhough I'm not much of an USC fan.

I really don't know much about the Booty at USC. He's either a brother or cousin of Josh Booty, the quarterback who played at LSU 5-6 years ago, and I know that he's from Shreveport. One reason he may have not come to LSU, is because of the fact that we already have some of the best depth at QB in the nation here right now. Our starter, JaMarcus Russell, is really starting to dominate, and is looking like one of the best QB's in the SEC, if not the nation. After him, we have another great QB in Matt Flynn, who came in to replace and injured Russell in the Peach Bowl last year, and absolutely dominated Miami, having a huge game and playing a major role in LSU's 40-3 win over Miami. And at 3rd string, we have redshirt freshman Ryan Perrilloux, who was the top QB prospect, and overall #2 best prospect in the nation in 2005. To sum it up, if there is one position in which we're not lacking talent, its quarterback. If Josh Booty came to LSU now, he would have to fight 3 very good players for playing time, whereas if he went to USC, he was practically guaranteed playing time immediately.

True, but he's sat two years behind Matt Lienart. Seems like if he was worried about playing time he wouldn't have picked USC either.

IT WAS A WAR !!!

TrueLSU failed to establish the run. That makes it difficult to win. LSU had some chances the did not take advantage of. LSU got screwed by the refs so bad the dudes in prison were jealous. I don't believe they deserved to lose. The refs did that for LSU.

I don't usually like to complain about the refs; but the were INCONSISTENT! The *pass interference call on Auburn NEAR THE END that was reversed :sick: was one of the biggest loads of crap I have ever seen in all my years of watching football!!! On ESPN even old man Lou Holtz never experienced a reverse call like that as a coach. Mark May said it was bad. >The same thing happened when LSU intercepted the ball in 4th qtr. but called for the interference. What's the difference ??? Maybe 80,000+ fans?? Is that reversed? No way! >>ANOTHER reversed call on 4th down & 1 with LSU driving were Jacob Hester had possession, but was called incomplete instead. And the the NO CALL on an interfernce in the "end-zone" in the 2nd qtr.

LSU outgained Auburn in total yards 308-191?? Why didn't JRuss throw the ball in the end-zone. Losing with the final play at the 4 by 4...WOW. This one hurts.

Oregon got some ridiculously good home cookin' vs. Oklahoma with the joke of an instant replay. The refs sucked in the Vandy/Arkansas game too.

Edited by richyb83

What a rough day for teams I was rooting for. I an OU alum...and that Oregon loss was painful to watch. I'm also watching LSU now...and man that was close. I hate games like these cause there was a chance to win. If it was a blowout...I think I would've been happier.

At least the Green Wave won today. Miracles do happen.

BTW...I love Tivo. I can watch the games after work.

Well, some of the sting from that LSU loss is gone thanks to the Saints winning today. The Saints beat the Packers today 34-27 at Lambeau Field. The Pack beat the Saints 52-3 last year, and this game originally looked like it would turn out the same way. After 3 turnovers, the Saints were down 13-0 at the end of the 1st Quarter. But unlike what we would have seen from last years Saints, they fought back, and went into halftime leading 14-13. The Saints ended up getting two field goals in the 3rd quarter to go up 20-13, and then the Packers came back with a toughdown to tie it at 20. The Saints marched down, and on a beautiful pass from Drew Brees to Marques Colston, scored a 35 yard touchdown. On the next Packers series, the Saints forced a fumble and recovered, and on the next play Deuce McAllister took it in for a 23 yard touch down run, to put the Saints up 34-20 with about 8 minutes left in the 4th quarter. The Packers marched down and scored another touchdown, and had another chance at the end of the game to tie it, but the Saints defense held on 4th down, and the Saints walked out with a win. This win puts the Saints at 2-0, and the Packers at 0-2.

Drew Brees looked fantastic through most of the game, as did Deuce McAllister, Reggie Bush, Joe Horn, Devery Henderson, Marques Colston, and John Karney who put up two big field goals from 45 and 47 yards out. On defense, the Saints came back solid after the 1st quarter, and really handled themselves well through most of the game.

On the Packers side, Brett Favre had a huge game, as did reciever Donald Driver. Favre put up 340+ yards, and Driver pulled in over 150 yards. Favre looked great today, and at this point, all he needs is more offensive weapons, he can still play for sure.

Saints stats

QB Drew Brees

26/41--353 yards--2 touchdowns--1 interception

------------------------------------

Deuce McAllister

12 carries--47 yards--2 touchdowns

------------------------------------

Joe Horn

5 receptions--88 yards

Reggie Bush

8 receptions--68 yards

Marques Colston

4 receptions--58 yards--1 touchdown

Devery Henderson

3 receptions--51 yards--1 touchdown

Great game report on the Saints game today! We witnessed history today; the SAINTS are 2-0 for the first time in franchise history! :yahoo: What great atmosphere next Monday nite in the SuperDome. The Falcons are also 2-0. Should be a great game!

The pump fake from Brees to Henderson was beautiful. Rookie Marqius Colston is a specimen! That one armed TD catch was nice.

Yes Brett Favre the gunslinger is still the man. Last year he lost his leading WR and played with the 4th string RB; and a poor O-Line. That forced him to do too much on his own; and his stats suffered. He can still play a few more years with a solid team around him.

Yep, like Richy said, both Atlanta and New Orleans will be 2-0 coming into the Superdome next Monday night, for this game that is becoming more and more of an international event.

NFC South Standings

Atlanta: 2-0

New Orleans: 2-0

Carolina: 0-2

Tampa Bay: 0-2

I just can't wait until Monday for this game! I'm ready to go! And you know what, so is the Superdome! :D

travel_g_superdome_740.jpg

If you're familiar with the Superdome, you should be able to spot some of the new additions pretty easily in this grainy, but still cool, tour video.

^ You ain't kiddin' !

Falcons miss the FG at the end, Saints win 27-24!

The Saints could use WR-Devery Henderson at CB to chase Mike Vick around.ha Bush finally breaks a long-one, but the Falcons D is tough. Brees and Payton find a way!

Warrick Dunn from Baton Rouge is leading the NFL in rushing after the first two-weeks.

Edited by richyb83

I just can't wait until Monday for this game! I'm ready to go! And you know what, so is the Superdome! :D

travel_g_superdome_740.jpg

If you're familiar with the Superdome, you should be able to spot some of the new additions pretty easily in this grainy, but still cool, tour video.

So you're going to the game tonight, Nate?

I'll be watching on TV.

Go Big Easy... good to see you back. Now to plan my next trip down there.