Louisiana Sports Talk

NCB

I was wondering does anyone know if that claim is valid because the Kingdome doesn't exist anymore or was the Superdome larger than it too? I guess maybe the Kingdome was built first, but I thought I had seen that when it was built it was the largest concrete roof. But like I said they tore it down, so it doesn't exist anymore.

Edited by Mith242

^I don't know about the Kingdome's, but I do know that the Superdome is still much larger than the Kingdome was. And actually, the Superdome finished construction and opened to the public in 1975, one year before the Kingdome opened in 1976. But again, the Superdome was much larger anyway. Seriously Rod, the Superdome is huge. :D

^I don't know about the Kingdome's, but I do know that the Superdome is still much larger than the Kingdome was. And actually, the Superdome finished construction and opened to the public in 1975, one year before the Kingdome opened in 1976. But again, the Superdome was much larger anyway. Seriously Rod, the Superdome is huge. :D

Hmmm...I know the Kingdome held some sort of record. I did think the Superdome was a bit older. Wish I could remember what claim the Kingdome held. Although I guess it doesn't matter much since it doesn't exist anymore.

Just from looking at these figures, you'll see some of the difference in size between the Superdome and the Kingdome, some are big differences, while others are not:

Total interior floor space

Kingdome- 190,400 sq. feet

Superdome- 269,000 sq. feet

Height of the top of the dome

Kingdome- 250 feet

Superdome- 253 feet

Building site

Kingdome- 23.9 acres

Superdome- 52 acres

Hmmm...I know the Kingdome held some sort of record. I did think the Superdome was a bit older. Wish I could remember what claim the Kingdome held. Although I guess it doesn't matter much since it doesn't exist anymore.

I couldn't think of what that record may be. The Superdome was the largest dome in the world when it was completed, and lost that title to the Millennium Dome in London in 1999. It is now the largest "fixed" dome in the world, and it has had the largest roof in the country since it was built, so the Kingdome never surpassed it there either. The Kingdome may have held the record of largest "____ type of roof" or something like that, but I can't think of what.

Yeah the Superdome is/was much larger. It seems though that the Kingdome held some sort of record and I'm pretty sure it had something to do with the concrete roof. But oh well, no need on getting fixated about it. I don't know if I'll ever remember what it was exactly and it doesn't really matter anyway. :D

What is/was the Kingdome?

The Kingdome was the football/baseball and even basketball stadium in Seattle for about 30 years. It was finished in 1976, and was imploded in 2000 after it was replaced by new NFL, NBA, and MLB stadiums for the Seahawks, Sonics, and Mariners. It was a pretty big dome actually, I believe it was bigger than the Astrodome in Houston, but it was still quite a bit smaller than the Superdome. It had a seating capacity of around 66,000 for football.

kingdome.jpg

kingdome.jpg

oneofthem.JPG

The Kingdome was the football/baseball and even basketball stadium in Seattle for about 30 years. It was finished in 1976, and was imploded in 2000 after it was replaced by new NFL, NBA, and MLB stadiums for the Seahawks, Sonics, and Mariners. It was a pretty big dome actually, I believe it was bigger than the Astrodome in Houston, but it was still quite a bit smaller than the Superdome. It had a seating capacity of around 66,000 for football.

kingdome.jpg

kingdome.jpg

oneofthem.JPG

I don't know why I didn't realize that... :rolleyes:

Thanks, Nate!

Yeah, I know.

I can get you to Texas Stadium with no problem, though... and I've never even attended a game there.

I've only been to Saints games in the Superdome, and never been to any NFL games in any other stadium. I've been to and seen many other stadiums in person though, especially in the South.

My most memorable NFL stadium experience was a few years ago when Soldier Field in Chicago was undergoing a near-complete rebuild. We parked in its parking lot and rode a trolley to the museums along Lake Michigan. It was an awesome sight seeing the old Soldier Field being demolished to make way for the new one. I believe the only thing they left were the columns out front.

My most memorable NFL stadium experience was a few years ago when Soldier Field in Chicago was undergoing a near-complete rebuild. We parked in its parking lot and rode a trolley to the museums along Lake Michigan. It was an awesome sight seeing the old Soldier Field being demolished to make way for the new one. I believe the only thing they left were the columns out front.

^Yea, I would have loved to see Soldier Field before it was basically just completely rebuilt. Sounds like a great experience! :thumbsup:

I actually had the privilage of going to Soldier Field to as a kid. It was a preseason game between the Bears and Colts. I am glad they kept those massive columns for the new stadium.

It's ashame the Kingdome was emploded. I'm guessing it was just too outdated. The Seahawks now play in the new Qwest Stadium. On TV you can see the opening at the north-end that has a spectacular view of the skyline ! The Mariners in baseball play next door at Safeco Field.

Edited by richyb83

I actually had the privilage of going to Soldier Field to as a kid. It was a preseason game between the Bears and Colts. I am glad they kept those massive columns for the new stadium.

It's ashame the Kingdome was emploded. I'm guessing it was just too outdated. The Seahawks now play in the new Qwest Stadium. On TV you can see the opening at the north-end that has a spectacular view of the skyline ! The Mariners in baseball play next door at Safeco Field.

It was cool visiting Soldier Field from the outside while it was being reconstructed, but how cool that must have been to actually see a game there. Very cool, Richy! :)

Ex-LSU Athlete Xavier Carter runs 2nd Fastest 200m time in the World "EVER" !!! 19.63 ran in Switzerland on Tuesday.

And Zachary native(formerly Tennessee) Leonard Scott won the 100m with a time of 10.05 !

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/3333481.html

Wow! I used to run up to 6 miles a day until a couple of years ago; but I ran a 9-10 minute mile. These guys who break records just impress the hell out of me. Amazing.

• 2 weeks later...

Hornets seek New Orleans home opener

NBA considering request by Shinn

Article

Good to hear it.

And of course, I'm still waiting for the Falcons-Saints opener at the SuperDome! :yahoo:

BTW, impressive pics of the Kingdome and the implosion. Where'd you fish those up?

Edited by ironchapman