Happenings

That's great to see the success of this Market causing expansion. I also like the fact that they are expanding north.

Do you all think there will ever come a time (well, in the more near future) that Greenville will need, or want a permanent market space downtown? If so, where? Open everyday, or what?

I think we might would need a bit more of an increase in downtown residents and office workers to keep things going well, but I think it could be a good addition... I'm imagining markets similar to those that I experienced in both Barcelona and London. Rhett Street could be a good place (though, perhaps too isolated in the West End, unless better downtown transportation was in place), or somewhere on McBee to catch shoppers coming and going from the Publix... :dontknow:

Kind of like Baltimore's Lexington Market, but only smaller. I will say when I lived there it was a site to see, hear, and smell. But there are markets like that all over town. None quite that big though. Here's a link to show what I'm talking about: http://www.lexingtonmarket.com/index2.html

Kind of like Baltimore's Lexington Market, but only smaller. I will say when I lived there it was a site to see, hear, and smell. But there are markets like that all over town. None quite that big though. Here's a link to show what I'm talking about: http://www.lexingtonmarket.com/index2.html

I also think this is a great idea. Maybe somewhere up N Main between the Landmark Buidling and Stone Avenue. This would keep the flow of people up and down Main and not just focused towards the West End. I think that was one of the key things that revitalized the city back from Mayor White's initiative, create "bookends" from which people will walk, shop, eat, etc between. I think we need a new bookend farther north to keep the northern part of Main viable. This would be perfect! There is a fairly big vacant lot on the right as you heads towards Stone too!

Edited by gvegascple

I also think this is a great idea. Maybe somewhere up N Main between the Landmark Buidling and Stone Avenue. This would keep the flow of people up and down Main and not just focused towards the West End. I think that was one of the key things that revitalized the city back from Mayor White's initiative, create "bookends" from which people will walk, shop, eat, etc between. I think we need a new bookend farther north to keep the northern part of Main viable. This would be perfect! There is a fairly big vacant lot on the right as you heads towards Stone too!

True. Land with the possibility of expansion on adjacent parcels would be best. I just returned from Seattle this weekend, and their market is right along the lines of what we need. I have the feeling that their market is not so much oriented toward the tourist (i.e. Charleston), but more of an asset for locals to buy fruit, flowers, gifts, etc. I think it'd also be a good connection for a Market to start at Main and run all the way (eventually, of course) to Heritage Green. Such a setup following Academy Street could achieve getting people further up Main, and also connect Main and the cultural district. Just an idea. I hope the city will one day pursue this idea somewhere downtown.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

FINALLY!!! Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band comes to Greenville, Sept 16th at the Bi-LO Center.

This was actually in the red "BREAKING NEWS" box on the GreenvilleOnline.com front page earlier this week. :lol:

It is a nice draw for the Bi-Lo Center, for sure! Hopefully Max Weinberg will be drumming for him, too! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I checked the website out a few weeks ago and noticed that the number of vendors seems noticeably less this year. Also, does anyone officially know why the Greenville Cycling Classic was not included this year? It has become an annual tradition I really look forward to witnessing in October, but unfortunately is not on the schedule during next weekend's festivities.

I found this helpful blog from Jonathan Pait regarding the absence of the cycling event, but he didn't seem to have an absolute answer either. Apparently the new organizers of Fall For Greenville have plans to expand the festival further into the West End, perhaps eventually using Falls Park as the central setting. Looking at the map for 2009, it appears to end on the Main Street bridge, whereas previous festivals extended well into the West End thanks to the cycling races.

For some good news, at least the music scene does appear to be better this year and the food options, whether more limited or not, are always fabulous.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...