Happenings

The Really Good, Really Big, Really Cheap Book Sale is comming up on August 16th at McAlister Square. This event has really grown over the years and this year is suppose to be the largest yet. Commercials have been running on TV. Here is the press release about the event from the Greenville Literacy Association:

http://www.greenvilleliteracy.org/fileadmi..._-_2008__r1.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

If you are a dog owner / dog lover, this coming week is an important week for dogs in Greenville.

Dogs Days of Summer - August 14 -28. Many, many events that benefit the Humane Society. One of the best is "Yappy Hour" at O'Connelly's Pub.

http://www.greenvillehumane.com/

Another event is "Dining for Dogs". Here is a list of participating restaurants:

http://www.greenvillehumane.com/pages/dogdays

Article from the Greenville News about all the events:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....TEPETS/80814035

• 3 weeks later...

Spill the Beans will have their "official" opening and dedication/ribbon cutting next Monday (Sept. 22) at 11:30 a.m. Mayor Knox White and others will be there to cut the ribbon. I will also be having a book signing for my Guide to Historic Greenville, SC from after the ceremony until 1:30 and also from 5:30 until closing.

The facility turned out great and has an enviable view of the falls from their back window and main entrance spilling out onto the piazza going into Falls Park. The front part of the building currently has seating for people watching out of the front window, but will eventually be turned into more of a retail/news stand area. The conference room in the back is pretty cool too. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the update on STB. I can't wait to check out their new store. Do you know if the future newstand area will have an entrance onto Main, or will patrons have to enter through the plaza area?

It's going to be great to have yet another retail space filled in the West End (with the gallery expansion taking the old STB location).

Thanks for the update on STB. I can't wait to check out their new store. Do you know if the future newstand area will have an entrance onto Main, or will patrons have to enter through the plaza area?

It's going to be great to have yet another retail space filled in the West End (with the gallery expansion taking the old STB location).

I don't know about plans for a potential future front entrance yet. I'll ask the owner and let you know. The owner of Christopher Park tolder me earlier this summer she plans a coffee/tea space in her expansion. I don't think food will be part of it, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Fall for Greenville had great weather this weekend! I attended on Saturday and was blown away by the crowds. I expected masses of people, but the clogging of the streets were much more than I imagined. I'd be willing to bet that this year's event set a record.

Is there any good way to help spread out the people at this event? It already takes up a large land area, but the clogging effect was a little ridiculous...

Is there any good way to help spread out the people at this event? It already takes up a large land area, but the clogging effect was a little ridiculous...

I agree. I think they need to think about branching over to Spring St. or something. If anything bad would have happened in the crowd, there would have been a very unsafe stampede.

Lazy Goat Paella Night

<H3 class=entry-header>Paella on the Patio</H3>Thursday, October 23:

The first "Paella on the Patio" at The Lazy Goat, from 5:30 pm - until.

We'll be cooking Paella on the patio, have a fire pit full of logs burning an awesome fire and complimentary blankets (if needed).

$20 gets you Paella and a complimentary sangria, bottle of beer from our selected list, or a glass of Spanish wine.

In addition, we'll have two S'mores dessert packages, one with and one without alcohol.

And, to make the night even better, we'll have a featured wine list with 50% off bottles for Thursday night.

For more information on either event, please call 679-5299.

• 3 weeks later...

This year's Poinsettia Christmas Parade in Greenville will be December 6th, at 6pm. This year's parade has been extended to include the West End on its route. It will start at South Main and River Streets, and finish at North Main and North Street.

I'm glad to see the extended route! It's nice to have events that cross the Reedy and include both districts as opposed to events that just focus on one district of downtown!

This year's Poinsettia Christmas Parade in Greenville will be December 6th, at 6pm. This year's parade has been extended to include the West End on its route. It will start at South Main and River Streets, and finish at North Main and North Street.

I'm glad to see the extended route! It's nice to have events that cross the Reedy and include both districts as opposed to events that just focus on one district of downtown!

Cool. I hope Santa's sleigh makes his runs up and down Main after the parade kicks off the season.

Here is a pretty unique event that is happening at Furman this weekend. Kissletoe. I could see this event becoming a holiday event for downtown Greenville. Oversized mistletoe sculptures (like the one used at Furman) hung at major intersections downtown......a big kiss off. Could be fun.

http://www.kissletoe2008.com/

• 2 weeks later...