The West End

gs3

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just posting this photo because I'm hopped up on caffeine this evening. :lol: Sitting out by Starbucks with laptop across from the park. Downtown is buzzing this evening! Beautiful evening!!! :wub:

DSC01771.jpg

I was just down in Falls Park with my little girl and little boy letting them roll down the hill for a while (trying to get them tired for bed time is more like it ... bwahahahaha). We parked on the Washington Street Deck and went to Tsunami for Sushi and then walked down to Falls Park and back. We got our walk in, but it was definitely a BEAUTIFUL and BUSY evening downtown, I agree! Looks like Shakespeare in the Park is coming soon, too. :yahoo: Can't wait to take my daughter to see Singing in the Rain tomorrow night! :shades:

We got our walk in, but it was definitely a BEAUTIFUL and BUSY evening downtown, I agree!

I couldn't believe it was a Tuesday evening! :w00t: Seemed more like a weekend. Great energy! This weather must be bringing everyone out!

• 4 weeks later...

The Cotton Warehouse in West End gains two new tenants, with a possible third on the way. Article from the Greenville News:

http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/.../706020307/1003

Whoa...The Immaculate Baking Company? Are they relocating from Hendersonville or is this just a new office/store/bakery/whatever? Good cookies!

Rocks and Ropes is moving out...I believe a restaurant is moving in. the space that fronts main st. downstairs(where field house office used to be) will join with the rocks and ropes area I believe(or it could be two separate spaces, but the front area where the field office was, is going to be a restaurant). My guess is that they would join those two spaces for a restaurant but im not sure.

Heard mention of them digging below grade on the side of the building under the deck and extend the deck out and have a patio under the deck with access to inside.

I also noticed some activity yesterday where it looks like Rocks and ropes is moving stuff out. or taking apart the climbing walls. I'll be able to check it out today to see if in fact thats what they we're doing.

^ Any idea where Rocks and Ropes will move to?

Would be cool if they had an outdoor climbing wall somewhere in West End.

Well word on the street is that they are being evicted. for not making lease payments on time so I don't think they are relocating. but maybe.

It's too bad that Rocks and Ropes couldn't be converted to some sort of entertainment venue instead of another restaurant. I'm sure downtown will support the new restaurant, and it will do well, but I could definitely see Rocks and Ropes being a cool lounge/bar with dancing or even small music venue. Oh well.

It's too bad that Rocks and Ropes couldn't be converted to some sort of entertainment venue instead of another restaurant. I'm sure downtown will support the new restaurant, and it will do well, but I could definitely see Rocks and Ropes being a cool lounge/bar with dancing or even small music venue. Oh well.

Here is an article about why it is so hard to open up a Venuw here.

Click Here for Article

Also, I am pretty sure lounge bars aren't even legal. You really need to a be a restaurant.

I know one of the areas that the 2025 group is interested in is the "Coolness" of Greenville. I've heard that mentioned a couple of times. This article totally speaks to the "Coolness" factor that is important in a city and is missing in Greenville. The offerings downtown need to be diverse. Unfortunately what Greenville downtown is missing now is those good old dives like Casablancas that used to be where Riverplace is now springing up. That was a great little dive. Another great one was the Gargoyle Club in Piazza Bergamo above Sassafras. Ah memories.

Gargoyle's was kick-a**. Casablancas had a pool table that was as level as a putting green. I got pretty good at 'reading' the table. (I'm showing my age, 'cause I don't even remember when they closed down)

Places like that are needed in the downtown area. IMO, the city is going to have to designate an area or district where this can be done. Preferably in an area that rents can still be affordable for a dive/music scene. Otherwise, they run the risk of the 20-somethings finding a new area (or town) to spend their time and money. If an area like this were designated, it would not take long for it to take off, and I would suspect we would get a better radio station selection as an unintended benefit.

State law mandates that a bar be able to seat and feed a certain number of people at one time (I believe it is 40) in order to get a liquor license, thus making all bars into restaurants. Private clubs are the exception. If clubs are encouraged (properly), the coolness factor will follow.

DT retail is really in danger of becoming rather one dimensional IMO. Leaders really need to make some changes so that a business other than a restaurant can afford to grace it's streets. I am all for a variety of restaurants, but people need some entertainment venues (other than the major BIlo ctr, Peace, West End Field). Rocks and Ropes was sort of a unique attraction for DT, and interactive places like that need to be more numerous, not less. We really need to get going on the DT Cenimas, Bowling alleys, bookstores, etc of the world.