The West End

gs3

Hey guys,

When you get the chance make sure to walk or drive by the West End Field. South Main is now open, and it really cool looking right now

It is good to finally have the street fully open. I hope we start to see more traffic pedestrian and otherwise, so that South main will fill up. I was disappointed to see the vacant lot next to West End Coffee being used as a surface lot. I wish the Church lot next door and the corner parcel could be conbined and a garage put in with street level retail. Maybe West End Coffee, the Church and the city could partner up on that.

It is good to finally have the street fully open. I hope we start to see more traffic pedestrian and otherwise, so that South main will fill up. I was disappointed to see the vacant lot next to West End Coffee being used as a surface lot. I wish the Church lot next door and the corner parcel could be conbined and a garage put in with street level retail. Maybe West End Coffee, the Church and the city could partner up on that.

That lot is seriously being turned into a surface parking lot? Oh man. I thought something was being built there. That's a waste of a prime location for more store fronts. :rolleyes:

Hello, we have an office on main st. in the West End(Same building as Rocks and Ropes). Right on the RR tracks across from the stadium but before you get to the field house condos. Ive seen the construction for a while it will be so nice when they are finally done. The sales office for the field house is right below our office. They have moved out and a new tenant has started to move in. or at least they are doing alot of banging down their preparing it for a new tenant. Not sure who it is or what type of business it would be, I would guess office space. On another note Tyler Florence (Food network chef, Applebees guy) came into our office to look at our space for a resturant of his. I guess the way they put the "for lease" signage looked like our space was for lease and not the space below. So that pretty cool that he is looking for a space for a resturant!

I know right where you're at, lbs5015! Nice location! :shades:

On another note Tyler Florence (Food network chef, Applebees guy) came into our office to look at our space for a resturant of his. I guess the way they put the "for lease" signage looked like our space was for lease and not the space below. So that pretty cool that he is looking for a space for a resturant!

This would certainly seem to corroborate the rumors that we've been hearing about Tyler ("a local chef with a national television show") Florence opening a restraunt in the West End. I hope he found or finds a great location, too! :shades:

Could this be Bob Ellis's "big celebrity" that the Pinnacle groundbreaking has allegedly been held up for?

Hmmm... :unsure: that's a thought, but I somehow doubt it. Tyler Florence isn't that big of a celebrity outside of the Food Network and Applebee's commercials. :lol: I guess we'll find out in under a week?

Hello, we have an office on main st. in the West End(Same building as Rocks and Ropes). Right on the RR tracks across from the stadium but before you get to the field house condos. Ive seen the construction for a while it will be so nice when they are finally done. The sales office for the field house is right below our office. They have moved out and a new tenant has started to move in. or at least they are doing alot of banging down their preparing it for a new tenant. Not sure who it is or what type of business it would be, I would guess office space. On another note Tyler Florence (Food network chef, Applebees guy) came into our office to look at our space for a resturant of his. I guess the way they put the "for lease" signage looked like our space was for lease and not the space below. So that pretty cool that he is looking for a space for a resturant!

Do you ever hear any talk about what may happen with the grassy lot next to your building? I heard a rumor that a couple of developers are looking at it for a 3 story building with retail on the ground level and offices on two and three. Only rumor.

Do you ever hear any talk about what may happen with the grassy lot next to your building? I heard a rumor that a couple of developers are looking at it for a 3 story building with retail on the ground level and offices on two and three. Only rumor.

Well actually our firm(Charlotte office) did do some preliminary design for the owner for that lot. I was not involved with it but I did get a glance of an elevation drawing and yes I'd say it was about 3 stories. Looked nice. There was talk that the owner wanted to put underground parking in and do away with the surface lot next to our building. but I think he was talked out of the idea because of buried sewer, utilites, etc that would have to be moved. I think the design was done close to a year ago by now. Haven't heard anything since.

Well actually our firm(Charlotte office) did do some preliminary design for the owner for that lot. I was not involved with it but I did get a glance of an elevation drawing and yes I'd say it was about 3 stories. Looked nice. There was talk that the owner wanted to put underground parking in and do away with the surface lot next to our building. but I think he was talked out of the idea because of buried sewer, utilites, etc that would have to be moved. I think the design was done close to a year ago by now. Haven't heard anything since.

Thanks.

That timeframe goes with what I had heard as the developer already has complete plans in hand.

• 3 weeks later...

From the link above:

The performances of a Publix grocery and Staples office supplies store planned at the McBee Station development under construction along McBee Avenue will be the "litmus test" as to whether national retailers can succeed downtown.

That sounds like a call to arms to me. Everyone here needs to make a conscious effort to patronize these locations as much as possible. Both stores sell things that everyone needs, so lets put our money where our mouths are, even if it is not AS convenient at times. These two pioneers need to be rewarded for there faith in DT.

From the link above:

That sounds like a call to arms to me. Everyone here needs to make a conscious effort to patronize these locations as much as possible. Both stores sell things that everyone needs, so lets put our money where our mouths are, even if it is not AS convenient at times. These two pioneers need to be rewarded for there faith in DT.

I don't believe in supporting a business just to support it in order to "save it" or make a statement. You reward a business based on it's quality of service and products. Yes, I may shop at those places when I am downtown and I think it's great there. I'm glad a new grocery store is coming downtown and the dinky Bi-Lo off of North Main. I'm curious how many here support the 8 o'clock Supperette as they are a long time downtown institution. They are a small grocery store that is very well know for stocking items no one else does because their customers ask for them. When I worked downtown in the past I visited the 8 o'clock a good bit to get a hot lunch plate. As many offices as they are downtown I don't think Staple's will have any problem at all. I'm just amazed their hasn't been a serious office supply company downtown for such a long time. The next closest place is Greenville Office Supply and quite some time ago Harper Brother's was a big presence on the West End. (their sign certainly has been long lasting!)

here is a link from Greenville News about restaurants opening in the West End - LINK - a little bit of new info (at least to me) and some old and discusses a few things going on on the north end of main most of which has already been discussed around here.

This was an informative article. I hadn't heard about American Grocery.....sounds like a good concept. Nice to see Peter actively seeking a spot downtown for another restaurant format. :thumbsup: