Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

This isn't the type of history we want here in Virginia. :cry:

I woke up this afternoon to my aunt's voice distressed. She was worried that we heard no word from a cousin who's at VT studying engineering. But we were able to find out he's okay, but no word on his roommate.

It's a terrible situation. I'm sure many of the dead have not yet been identified. Thank God that your cousin is all right.

Now that I will be an official Richmonder :) in a few weeks, I was curious of how I can begin to get involved in groups related to Richmond development and real estate. I aspire to become a developer one day but for now, I just want to stay up to date by attending meetings and functions.

Thx

Edited by sbc

Venture Richmond is probably the most prominent group, though if you're into historic buildings and such, Historic Richmond Foundation hosts many events throughout the year. Just last week, they (in collaboration with Venture Richmond, the Virginia Center for Architecture, et al) hosted an event regarding a proposed state office building that will require the demolition of a historic hotel.

Venture Richmond is probably the most prominent group, though if you're into historic buildings and such, Historic Richmond Foundation hosts many events throughout the year. Just last week, they (in collaboration with Venture Richmond, the Virginia Center for Architecture, et al) hosted an event regarding a proposed state office building that will require the demolition of a historic hotel.

There's also a very active group of young people in an organization called OPUS, sbc. Their focus is The Arts, but I don't know their web site address. Maybe someone else can supply it.

sbc, maybe someone here can give you the contact, but there is another group that organizes walking tours of remote and little known downtown landmarks for groups of young adults -- usually ending the evening at a local bar or restaurant. I've forgotten its name, but I bet Coupe could tell you.

Weren't you "sbc" a few minutes ago? Have you switched identities to "cityhopper"? :dontknow:

Whoever you are, welcome again. :yahoo:

:whistling: Quick on your feet.

HAHA ... YES, I endured a name change :shades: to reflect the new changes before. I have now held licenses in 4 states within 9 years, thus the name cityhopper.

Thanks for the welcoming!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by cityhopper

Does anyone else have trouble posting at RCW? I was just there and tried to send a message to source about his photos of Hopewell. Everytime I clicked "submit", a sign would pop up saying "Invalid session. Please resubmit form."

After 26 clicks, it finally went thru.

A bit earlier I had posted about Richmond CenterStage and it required only three clicks of "submit".

And I think I am the only poster over there who can get to the Forum page instantly and read everything there, but when posting, I am required to log in.

It is a mystery, but a big frustration. Coupe is trying to help out, but I'd like to know if I'm the only one having this problem.

Very resourceful site BGW. I wonder what address on 1st? It's odd I was downtown for a little bit today. I'm uploading now.

Must have been a fire weekend! There was a fire in our building Friday night that dumped thousands of gallons of water into one of our Banquet rooms. No one was hurt thank goodness and thier kitties hid in a closet for saftey

If it is any consolation, I heard on the news last night that Newark (NJ) had its 24th murder since the beginning of 2007 - a slight reduction from last year. Newark is larger and more diverse than Richmond, but its gratifying to note a decline in both cities. Isn't the figure now 11 in Richmond?

Well, there goes my prime news source! I could only find about four local news stories, no local sports and lousy business coverage. Of course, the culprit just may be my lack of computer knowledge preventing me from finding all the goodies in the new format.

They asked for comments, but as I seem to have a thing about "submit" buttons, it didn't go thru. Did send an email expressing my displeasure, however.

I rarely check out Richmond dot com, but guess that'll be my route to local happenings in the future.

Dana Craig's restaurant reviews are still there. :)

Edited by burt