Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

I see that two lots behind my house have had building permits issued for them. I wonder... why of all places? I just hope no more apartments. I would have a fit.

Could it be that Short Pump Towne Center is establishing a sattelite operation behind your house. :w00t:

I can't wait 'til Wednesday when I fly out of JFK for my short vacation in Richmond!!!

Sweet! You're lucky! How long are you going to be in Richmond? Also, make sure that you use your information-gathering power to soak up as much information about forthcoming projects as you can so you can keep us all updated! :thumbsup:

Edited by eandslee

Could it be that Short Pump Towne Center is establishing a sattelite operation behind your house. :w00t:

They'd never establish anything inside the city, remember businesses like that do not like the city.

They'd never establish anything inside the city, remember businesses like that do not like the city.

They like the East End. They're the folks building the big center on Laburnum.

And they LOVE money from Richmond city folks who spend wildly at the beautiful life style center in hustling, bustling downtown SHORT PUMP.

Forest City is the developer of both... as well as the major developer for Tobacco Row and The Market at Tobacco Row so we can't hate on them too much. I think we can all agree that Tobacco Row has been a major catalyst to change and growth downtown/in the Bottom/riverfront. Also, I'd hope that Richmond city folks would think of their own Stony Point FP before making the drive out to Short Pump.

I really sense a lot of momentum for downtown, and Broad Street. I don't know anything you guys don't know (wish I did), but it's just a gut kinda feeling.

Forest City is the developer of both... as well as the major developer for Tobacco Row and The Market at Tobacco Row so we can't hate on them too much. I think we can all agree that Tobacco Row has been a major catalyst to change and growth downtown/in the Bottom/riverfront. Also, I'd hope that Richmond city folks would think of their own Stony Point FP before making the drive out to Short Pump.

I really sense a lot of momentum for downtown, and Broad Street. I don't know anything you guys don't know (wish I did), but it's just a gut kinda feeling.

I don't think most people could find Stony Point. Had I not needed to go to the doctor near there, I'd never have seen the place in my lifetime. I wonder what has made Short Pump the darling of Richmond. What is it about that blasted place?

Burt, here's the thing that's the most unfair... the county loves money from the city but would rather have nothing to do with the city otherwise. City residents don't have too many places to go within the city or in their part of the city (unless you live in the West End or southwestern Richmond. County folk don't spend nearly enough money in Richmond as Richmond folk spend in the county. Who has the better end of things? Who doesn't want to change the status quo? And people say they don't want to see chains downtown, well heck there aren't that many in the city as a whole! Have to go out to the ends of the earth to find what you want. How is this just? Then the few chains downtown we already have are only open during business hours and not even on the weekends and I think they could feed off Shockoe's people if they wanted.

To me, the whole set up is an injustice some tolerate and others say, "It's been this way for so long, it has to be right."

I don't think most people could find Stony Point. Had I not needed to go to the doctor near there, I'd never have seen the place in my lifetime. I wonder what has made Short Pump the darling of Richmond. What is it about that blasted place?

Burt, here's the thing that's the most unfair... the county loves money from the city but would rather have nothing to do with the city otherwise. City residents don't have too many places to go within the city or in their part of the city (unless you live in the West End or southwestern Richmond. County folk don't spend nearly enough money in Richmond as Richmond folk spend in the county. Who has the better end of things? Who doesn't want to change the status quo? And people say they don't want to see chains downtown, well heck there aren't that many in the city as a whole! Have to go out to the ends of the earth to find what you want. How is this just? Then the few chains downtown we already have are only open during business hours and not even on the weekends and I think they could feed off Shockoe's people if they wanted.

To me, the whole set up is an injustice some tolerate and others say, "It's been this way for so long, it has to be right."

Ok all brain guys as I'm only a foodie guy. Should we also include the dreaded TAX situation between the City and Counties?

We have 3 cafes all are in a county, chesterfield or Henrico Tax in the Cafe's are 5% , now if we start one in the City we are at 11%. Thats not much of you are eating lunch, but High tickets make a big Difference.

So , We have the banquet hall which is unique, dare I say second to the Jeff, in looks and feel at least, and guess what we have Really big ticket items that are at least 6% higher than others in the county ??

I think thats part of the reason the big guys don't want to play in the city so much, I mean I wouldn't pay more for a big ticket when I could drive 5 minutes and save a good amount. It would'nt matter what the city could do for me in tax abatements (sp) and such if I had to discount to make sales in my business.

Edited by jonbeattie

This question is in regard to "walking tours" and parking. I want to venture through the following neighborhoods/areas :

Carytown

Church Hill

Fan

Shockoe Slip/Bottom

Museum District

I am looking to browse around the areas to get a feel for the area and also to see any local postings for rentals/leasing that are not posted online, etc. Are there specific places in those areas where I can park or is it acceptable to park on the street? Are some of these places simply easier to drive around rather than walk?

Thanks for all the help

All the neighborhoods you mention are pretty solid urban ones... so parking is going to be more difficult than being in the suburbs :) ... However, I'd probably recommend parking and walking through all of them. Only thing I'd watch out for is the Fan near VCU... I'm not an expert on this, but I think at certain times you're required to have the Fan District sticker to park there. Someone else probably can explain that better/correctly. Anyways, if you need any other recommendations let us know :thumbsup:

There are generally signs on every block detailing the :unsure: cursed :unsure: parking hours.

Thanks for the heads up. It looks like my first day could involve some levels of rain; so I may just end up more car bound than I intended. Oooo well. I am going to hope for the best that the rain holds off at least until the evening.

I thank everyone for their input over the last few weeks. I promise to report back my details of the visit, restaurant visits, and the job interview. Thanks again and everyone have a GREAT weekend.

Are we still praising spring and its arrival? Man I couldn't be more miserable. I feel every tree and plant is out to kill me or at least make my head feel like it's about to explode. I was out and about yesterday and pollen dust clouds were roaming the area thanks to the breeze. Sometimes I wonder, why the heck couldn't plants just evolve and reproduce in other ways. Let's just fast forward to October.

Although some repaving has been done, many streets in Richmond are in dire need of extensive work. Their present condition gives an impression of decay and neglect that detracts from otherwise interesting streetscapes, IMO.

How was your trip Burt ?

Opps I think I found the notes!

Edited by jonbeattie

Although some repaving has been done, many streets in Richmond are in dire need of extensive work. Their present condition gives an impression of decay and neglect that detracts from otherwise interesting streetscapes, IMO.

Maybe we need to scrap all our streets and start over. And for those areas that have cobblestones under them, expose them! Especially in Jackson Ward and Shockoe Bottom.

I know, it all seems to be in great condition. There is nothing spectacular about asphalt and tar. I also wonder where the red paving block ends and the cobbles begin. For a historic city, we have very little cobblestoned streets. Cary has a few blocks, there's Carrington St, Virginia St, and Peebles St... that's all I can think of! Look at the old black and white pics of Richmond and the cobbles add so much charcter and not only that, I think of the backbreaking labor that mined it, transported it, and laid it, only for it to be forgotten by "progress." That's insulting to those who put all that work into it, willing or not.

Totally Agree!!!

I've expressed this to the board before, but this is an issue! Half of our trip around the city, my guests and I were just as concerned with bumps and holes as we were interested in the sights around us.

I just went over to the USA South page where they are discussing the next "rising star of the South" and I can't believe that there is very little Richmond representation there. It just goes to show that if you don't live in a state that borders Virginia, that Richmond is rarely thought of. Then again, that thread is just a huge advertisement for folk's own city. I think that the south has many cities that are doing well and are growing, but I'd like to think that Richmond were, at least, in the top 3 cities or so. What do you all think?

I think most of those threads contain a lot of posts that basically say "I think my city is the next rising star because I think my city is the next rising star" so I usually don't pay too much attention to them. If you look at the numbers, Richmond has a very strong economy right now. We're growing well but not at an unmanageable rate. Crime is plunging. I don't know how far it permeates (maybe to Montana :lol:) but when I'm in town I feel this real sense of optimism and positive change in the air that I haven't always felt. Perhaps Burt did on his most recent trip?

IMO, what's really amazing is the number of people that thought Richmond wasn't much until they visited. I've had friends from Nova come down for the weekend and start talking about how they want to move down.