Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

Hey, fellas! Posting from Philadelphia tonight, and I'll either be home tomorrow afternoon or Sunday morning. Downtown Philadelphia is gorgeous, and with lots to see and do, Ive come up with a little over 200 pictures. Ill post and talk to you guys again this weekend!

Tommy I'm glad you like Downtown Philadelpiha... I enjoyed it alot in Downtown Philadelphia. I still wouldn't mind moving to Downtown Philadelphia its one of my Favorite Downtowns. Make s ure you go to The Shops at Liberty Place.. Very nice Mall Downtown inside of One Liberty Place. I hope you also come back with Pictures of Comcast Center like you Promised me. I love watching that baby rise what a sleek and goregous tower.

Tommy I dare you to bring back video of you recreating that scene from Rocky! I dare ya! Oh and my cheesesteak!

Now I know I've given Henrico, my birthplace, a lot of mudslinging, but one thing I do applaud about the county is that it has a resource to educate its residents about its history. I've watched mini-documentaries on Powhatan, Mountain Road, Brook Hill, St. Joseph's Villa, and Beth Elon, and the county's dairy farms. Too bad it's only available in the county on channel 17. Since I've been temporarily living in the county the past 2 months (and right behind an old farm, on land that was once part of that farm), all that historical stuff is just amazing. Now, I haven't just discovered this. In 2002 I was here again from March to May and the channel was one thing I missed. Why couldn't the City of Richmond care about its past genuinely enough to produce similar shows? The last educational show Richmond produced on cable was The Answer People on cable access. The rest of cable access has not been educational or interesting at all. Since Richmond was once a part of Henrico and has so much history that hasn't been told, why not? Although Henrico is bulldozing most of its land for suburbia, at least it takes time to respectfully remember unlike the city that demolishes and forever forget. Henrico, you have one point more on Richmond for channel 17... the other point is the detailed map of neighborhoods that use deeds and the neighborhood's real names unlike Richmond which doesn't care where it sticks a neighborhood's name or bother to list it at all. These two things would be great for the city to undertake.

Man you are FOREVER hating on Richmond.

That was not the response I was hoping for.

I thought I was lauding a positive program. I only wish something like that was available for the city. We need something the celebrate ourselves too. Aside from us here, a lot of people I talk to can't find anything special about Richmond or find nothing about it interesting. A resource like that about our culture and heritage can help. That's all I was trying to say in addition to expressing my love for what I've been watching.

It's definitely no hatred for the city or on the city. I am frustrated that the city won't label correctly or bother to do the research to correctly indentify its own neighborhoods the way Henrico has. When Channel 12 identified a neighborhood wrong based on the city's map, it showed me we really need to fix that, and I am working on it.

If things do not work out in Richmond, Philly is my next stop LOL.

Thanks for the photos. I am looking to come up to Philly as a weekend trip this summer. I see there will be lots of landmarks for visit.

[/back to off-topic Richmond]

Well, it looks like I will finally be making that move back to VA and become a new RVA'er. I am excited and nervous. It's been a few years since I left. I hope I can acclimate quickly and meet people.

Which area will you be settling in?

Looks like Shockoe Bottom. After visiting, I fell in love with Carytown (as an area) but did not have any great luck in finding a good living quarters (to my likens).

In the beginning, I wanted to stay near the "action" in hopes I can intermingle quicker. I suppose Shockoe Bottom is in good relation to downtown and such.

Tommy!? I hope my cheesesteak didn't sail away in this rain and wind!

What is your avatar now btw?

Looks like Shockoe Bottom. After visiting, I fell in love with Carytown (as an area) but did not have any great luck in finding a good living quarters (to my likens).

In the beginning, I wanted to stay near the "action" in hopes I can intermingle quicker. I suppose Shockoe Bottom is in good relation to downtown and such.

I hope you enjoy yourself in Shockoe Bottom. You'll get to see all the transformations of the riverfront there as it happens. And welcome to the East End!

Speaking of weird trees, one for the books is in Richmond's back yard.

Just before crossing the Appomattox River bridge on US1, turn left on a side street in Colonial Heights and you'll see the strangest tree in America!

Ace fotogs -- take your cameras! Besides, you all ought to take a photographic excursion to Petersburg. It is very photogenic. :)

This isn't the type of history we want here in Virginia. :cry:

I woke up this afternoon to my aunt's voice distressed. She was worried that we heard no word from a cousin who's at VT studying engineering. But we were able to find out he's okay, but no word on his roommate.