Richmond off-topic postings

Cotuit

Well guys Im really enjoying my "Senior Skip Day". Incase some of you all don't know what it is. It is the monday after Prom when you skip a day from school and only seniors can do it.

:lol: I hope it's not because you're recovering from a hangover, Joey. You're still too young to belly up to a bar.

It's actually fun to go tubing down the James. I did that a number of years ago and loved it! All you have to do is put in at Pony Pasture and then float down to the "Nickel Bridge" area where you can have a car parked at one of the James River park accesses. I'll always remember how fun it was. Just make sure you don't go when the river is too high, but not too low either!

Besides, you never know whom.....what you may find in the river :whistling:

I used to despise emotes...

Just be sure to swim in the fast-flowing areas. :lol:

I know, Ice. I used to think only simpletons used emoticons. And before anybody else says it, I guess I was right! :w00t:

I know this will be odd to hear from me, but somehwere about December, didn't I link to a site about demolished structures in Short Pump? I can't find it. Any idea where?

Just be sure to swim in the fast-flowing areas. :lol:

I know, Ice. I used to think only simpletons used emoticons. And before anybody else says it, I guess I was right! :w00t:

Nah Burt, it's just those who use multiple ones at the end of every other sentence. :thumbsup::tough:

(it wouldn't allow a third one... =( )

Besides, you never know whom.....what you may find in the river :whistling:

I used to despise emotes...

At least if someone urinates in the James, it's gone within seconds, but in a pool...

The worst part about going to swim at Bell Isle is having your bike/stuff stolen or not being able to find parking.

At present time, I'm interested in looking at our old maps and old roads. Sunday and Tuesday I'd been exploring the old roads in northeastern Henrico and eastern New Kent. I had for years wanted to see what Old Williamsburg Rd was like and I find it neat that you can still tell where the original road continued even where new roads interrupted it. Then after crossing the Chickahominy, I could see where the road branched northward and could meet up with New Kent Rd and I had never noticed that that was the original road between Richmond and Williamsburg.

Burt, you may have some answers. When did they butcher Williamsburg Rd? Was it in the early 80s when 295 was built or had they done it earlier in the 60s around the time 64 was built? It was interesting to find some old garages and remnants of double yellow lines in the road that leads nowhere on the bypassed sections. And they butchered history. People can't accurately follow Civil War movements or trace in tact the original road.

Here's another one Burt, what do you know about Chamberlain Rd? It looks like it's less than 100 years old. And Brook Rd basically ended at Telegraph, another horribly disfgured route to the north. When was Brook extended? And what about Broad? It used to end at Three Chopt... and where did it go from there? I can't seem to connect the various Old Three Chopt (Notched) and Three Chopt old roads. But it used to be a major road, how could we in Richmond make so many major roads disappear?

Then there's the old Westham Rd that really got chopped up as Richmond grew. I believe 13th from Main to Bank and Governor St were a part of it, then it turned west and possibly split off Brook Rd as it went southwest to meet Park Ave. Then near the Boulevard it dipped again until it met Cary and that's the last leg of it still intact. But where was Westham exactly? I can't seem to pinpoint it.

I've also imagined that Meadowbridge used to be longer as it probably used to run along 1st Ave and Mathews St into Bacon Quarter Branch's valley. But where did Meadowbridge end? Was it a road to nowhere before they extended it into Hanover?

There's another that branched off from Nine Mile Road and went into Hanover before Highland Springs... no trace of that. Another branched off from Harvie Road and ran into Hanover, no trace of that! It's amazing how many roads we used to have that have fallen into obscurity of disappeared altogether.

Why isn't there a book on our old roads... no interest either? Would V-Dot or Henrico hold most of the answers as to why and when?

Edited by Cadeho