Va. Beach Town Center project 2

urbanvb

So it's going to be atleast a year before anything happens? Nice to see the pilot moving out of that crappy building. I ran gas pipe on that roof about 8 years ago and it was in disrepair then.

One of the reasons the pilot held out for more money was that they liked the prominent location (even though the buildings an eyesore). I wonder if they'll move into the new tower when completed?

So some points/questions:

1) Where is the Pilot going?

2) So "Two Columbs Center" is the small-ish building of up to 5 stories being built on the plot with the bank, hotel, and One Columbus, correct?

3) There will be a large office tower on the parking lot behind Cosmopolitan Apartments, right? This is the one which has been planned for some time now?

4) Where did this other NEW office tower come from? Has anyone heard anything about it before?

So some points/questions:

1) Where is the Pilot going?

2) So "Two Columbs Center" is the small-ish building of up to 5 stories being built on the plot with the bank, hotel, and One Columbus, correct?

3) There will be a large office tower on the parking lot behind Cosmopolitan Apartments, right? This is the one which has been planned for some time now?

4) Where did this other NEW office tower come from? Has anyone heard anything about it before?

This new office tower is actually tower two. Tower two was originally slated for block 11 (behind the Cosmopolitan) but now that the pilot has come up off their coveted land tower two will be put there. I don't know where the pilot is going, that's a good question. Two Columbus Center will be put exactly where you've indicated. The "New" office tower will be on block 11, behind the Cosmopolitan, and will be built after they have built tower two. This indicates 2 things to me: 1)They have obviously landed a large tenant for tower two in order for them to be progressing to this stage (Divaris has stated that they don't build speculative and that they wouldn't proceed with a tower without pre-leasing) and 2) The addition of a New, not previously planned, office tower is an indication of how tight the market has become in the area. It seems like we're in the midst of an office boom now, lets hope it doesn't cool down before they start turning dirt. :shades:

I know you found it, but the Beacon Building is the virginian pilot virginia beach headquarters. During the TC boom (not that it's over) AH was desperate to get the building, and the Pilot flat refused every offer, including a $3.8 million one, i believe. I'm curious what it finally sold for, and if that Taco Bell finally sold as well.

Spiker, here's the original article but I don't see that $3.8 mil figure in there. It looks like they actually tried to just do a land swap and have the pilot take up space in the Westin. Perhaps they put a little money on the table this time. :lol:

This new office tower is actually tower two. Tower two was originally slated for block 11 (behind the Cosmopolitan) but now that the pilot has come up off their coveted land tower two will be put there. I don't know where the pilot is going, that's a good question. Two Columbus Center will be put exactly where you've indicated. The "New" office tower will be on block 11, behind the Cosmopolitan, and will be built after they have built tower two. This indicates 2 things to me: 1)They have obviously landed a large tenant for tower two in order for them to be progressing to this stage (Divaris has stated that they don't build speculative and that they wouldn't proceed with a tower without pre-leasing) and 2) The addition of a New, not previously planned, office tower is an indication of how tight the market has become in the area. It seems like we're in the midst of an office boom now, lets hope it doesn't cool down before they start turning dirt. :shades:

I guess that means the lot between the westin and the cosmo won't be built on for many years to come. With all these new projects coming up, and with city walk hopefully starting soon, i imagine that will be the most convenient place to keep all the trailors and plans. Hopefully by the time it is ready to be built on, we will have the need for even another highrise.

I guess that means the lot between the westin and the cosmo won't be built on for many years to come. With all these new projects coming up, and with city walk hopefully starting soon, i imagine that will be the most convenient place to keep all the trailors and plans. Hopefully by the time it is ready to be built on, we will have the need for even another highrise.

Yeah, if they had plans for that lot in the next phase they probably would have mentioned it in that email. Oh well, I'm very happy with what they've decided to do. :D

I inquired as to the location of the new tower from and I was quite surprised. I will paste the response here:

The new tower will be built where the Beacon Building is situated (holy cow Batman! :yahoo: )

Construction can only begin once the Beacon has moved which will be

early next year. We expect construction to be underway by mid 2008.

We will also build a high rise office with retail in the large parking

lot (corner Constitution/Columbus). That will follow the beacon Bldg.

In the meantime we will build a 6 storey building, Two Columbus Center,

in the One Columbus Center parking lot, across from Barnes and Noble.

We should start construction of that building later this year.

So I guess the Pilot lot will be 20 storeys. I wonder how tall the building on this lot will be? The lot below is actually larger than the AH tower lot so it's footprint is going to be pretty big.

DSC01512.jpg

Personally I would like to see that lot get divided up into 4 lots to make it easier to build a building there without having to take up a whole block to do it, which can be expensive. Plus by doing that would increase the urban feel of the area and give the area some mix in architecture.

But wither way, this other news is all really cool to hear.

Spiker, here's the original article but I don't see that $3.8 mil figure in there. It looks like they actually tried to just do a land swap and have the pilot take up space in the Westin. Perhaps they put a little money on the table this time. :lol:

If i'm remembering it right, it was back early than 05, before the Westin. I might have it wrong though. :dontknow:

It's interesting that Mr. Divaris would see downtown Norfolk as his competition when it is probably really the Newtown Rd., Lynnhaven Mall and Greenbrier areas that are his true competition. Now it's true that a few lagal and financial firms wanted to be closer to clients in the affluent North Beach/Alanton and other high end development in eastern VB, but I would think that Norfolk is the true regional center, especially when you include Chesapeake, Suffolk and Isle of Wight, where the real income growth is poised. The future looks good for Town Center, but it is still a suburban wolf in urban clothing.

This development is really exciting. With the last two years of TC news being mostly focused on Westin and the performing arts center, I was beginning to feel a little "settled down" about hearing any string of tower announcements for the area. The tower of the pilot side will in my view eliminate the theme park feel of TC and add more of a business feel to the area. I also think that the main reason Mr. Divaris called out downtown Norfolk with a specific mention to Wachovia Center is due to the low-rise section of the project being dubbed as "town center" style. While free parking is an advantage for the new tower, I don't think it will matter much. While paying for parking always sucks, many people especially urban enthusiasts <sp? will always argue that paying for parking is what adds to a true city and urban center atmosphere.

Until TC adds a significant number of class A office space and begins to house the regional headquarters of corporations and large firms, I will still look at this as more of a suburban development reachiing high rather than direct competition to downtown Norfolk. The new towers could be the first step towards that depending on who they have signed to anchor the new towers. With Wachovia anchoring Norfolks upcoming tower, I'm interested to see who they got onboard. If they're not the size of Wachovia, hopefully the company will be as big as Bank of Hampton Roads.

I wonder what TomJ has to say if anything about Wachovia Center being called competition. I'm going to pitch that question to him.

Sounds like we gotta wait at least six years until the lease runs out but money talks so who knows what the future holds.. :dontknow: and at least the owner sounds open:

"I see better uses for that site," Mahoney said. "I'm really looking to do something myself with the site. We're looking at a few options. They may or may not work."

Edited by urbanvb

From the article: "To be sure, there is also the dowdy old Beacon Building next door, owned by The Virginian-Pilot. It is a squat, brick, 1960s-era office with about as much glamour as Britney Spears without hair" Quite the apt statement :lol: Hopefully, either Mahoney's plans are awesome, or he'll eventually sell it. It's kind of a shame, but Taco Bell is certainly a nice alternative to $25+ dinners right next door I suppose...

From the article: "To be sure, there is also the dowdy old Beacon Building next door, owned by The Virginian-Pilot. It is a squat, brick, 1960s-era office with about as much glamour as Britney Spears without hair" Quite the apt statement :lol: Hopefully, either Mahoney's plans are awesome, or he'll eventually sell it. It's kind of a shame, but Taco Bell is certainly a nice alternative to $25+ dinners right next door I suppose...

Yeh, but hot babes in sexy dresses don't hang out at Taco Bell. Anyway, as Urban says, "Money Talks."

A pretty neat pic came with this article in the paper. I'm surprised no one's posted it yet.

Pc0340700.jpg

Fairly recent too, as opposed to the usual Pilot pics for developments. You can see the huge amount of progress made in Studio 56 already, as well as the tremendous amount of space between Sadler and Independence for more retail. Looks much more spacious from the air. :thumbsup: