Va. Beach Town Center project 2

urbanvb

Any ideals on who might fill that new void?

I went there when they first opened and never went back. People who where suits don't want to hear Mr. Sandman sung to them by greasy haired burger flippers. Bad concept in a location that needs a destination type user. A proven operator could easily make it work there though. Especially with the lack of fast casual fare at Town Center. Look how many people play Frogger to get across VB Blvd to go to the food court or Jason's Deli. I imagine with the amount of grease those guys produced the ducting is more than adequate for just about any type of restaurant use. With ducting being a large start up expense for restaurants it might be enticing for a local guy to go in there and give it a whirl.

On another note, I read an article about JR's recently that discussed their failed move to locate with in urban and town center developments. They are closing most of them down and focusing on malls and other daytime child friendly locations. Notice how they are always close to movie theaters in malls? That is their MO. Notice their location at TC? On the corner closest to the movie theater. Problem is there is no synergy between the theatre and town center.

On another note, I read an article about JR's recently that discussed their failed move to locate with in urban and town center developments. They are closing most of them down and focusing on malls and other daytime child friendly locations. Notice how they are always close to movie theaters in malls? That is their MO. Notice their location at TC? On the corner closest to the movie theater. Problem is there is no synergy between the theatre and town center.

I wonder if JR's acquisition by Dan Snyder's RedZone Capital had anything to do with it? New earnings expectations by new owners? Also have to wonder if HR is saturated by the concept? Three JR's on the southside may be overkill.

Just makes you wonder why we can't have a distinctive, local iconic fast food place, instead of three locations of the same national, limited appeal chain. Something like Superdawg in Chicago, or the Varsity in Atlanta. If I had any faith in the ability of the market here to try something new, I'd put the money in it in a heartbeat. I just don't have any faith, and I don't need the headaches.

Even a Steak and Shake would be welcome. Not bad for a chain......

I wonder if JR's acquisition by Dan Snyder's RedZone Capital had anything to do with it? New earnings expectations by new owners? Also have to wonder if HR is saturated by the concept? Three JR's on the southside may be overkill.

Just makes you wonder why we can't have a distinctive, local iconic fast food place, instead of three locations of the same national, limited appeal chain. Something like Superdawg in Chicago, or the Varsity in Atlanta. If I had any faith in the ability of the market here to try something new, I'd put the money in it in a heartbeat. I just don't have any faith, and I don't need the headaches.

Even a Steak and Shake would be welcome. Not bad for a chain......

We do have an iconic fast food restaurant... it's not in VB. rusthebus, you got to it before I did.

Edited by cpeakesqr

Whats wrong with Doumars?

Thats kind of like our Varsity

Please, don't read anything into this that isn't here. Doumar's ice cream dishes and drinks are fantastic -- I love the Reggie, and want to try a Scope sometime. But the food is nothing special. When I say "iconic", it needs to be one of two things -- something that is clearly identified with a small area --- like the Chicago style dogs at Superdawg, or the fish tacos at El Indio in San Diego. Or, it needs to be done in a unique and superior way -- like the hamburgers at Kinkaid's in Fort Worth, Hodad's in Ocean Beach, or at Dirty Martin's in Austin, or the onion rings at any of the SC Piggy Parks. Also needs to have limited locations, which prevents Five Guys from qualifying, despite fantastic burgers.

The true test is this, and only those of you who grew up here can answer -- if you moved away, and came back, would your first meal out be at Doumar's? If the answer is yes, then for you it is an iconic fast food restaurant. But for me, it is a really good place for ice cream, and nothing more.

Please, don't read anything into this that isn't here. Doumar's ice cream dishes and drinks are fantastic -- I love the Reggie, and want to try a Scope sometime. But the food is nothing special. When I say "iconic", it needs to be one of two things -- something that is clearly identified with a small area --- like the Chicago style dogs at Superdawg, or the fish tacos at El Indio in San Diego. Or, it needs to be done in a unique and superior way -- like the hamburgers at Kinkaid's in Fort Worth, Hodad's in Ocean Beach, or at Dirty Martin's in Austin, or the onion rings at any of the SC Piggy Parks. Also needs to have limited locations, which prevents Five Guys from qualifying, despite fantastic burgers.

The true test is this, and only those of you who grew up here can answer -- if you moved away, and came back, would your first meal out be at Doumar's? If the answer is yes, then for you it is an iconic fast food restaurant. But for me, it is a really good place for ice cream, and nothing more.

Granted, the hamburgers are about as tasty as cardboard, but I don't see why Doumar's ice cream can't be like any of the favorites you picked from those other places. I've heard the Bar-B-Q is good, I believe they serve the Doughtie's brand which is a local brand favorite. For me, High's was always down the street so that's where I would go for ice cream. This is getting off topic...

Edited by cpeakesqr

• 3 weeks later...

High tech countertops for TC bar

Caked in dust and still half-built, the bars inside Guadalajara at Town Center weren't much to look at last week.

The tabletops had a faded, bluish hue, speckled with white. A veneer of soot coated the beveled edges of checkerboard tile. And the stick-frame underbellies were naked, interior wires and piping exposed.

Give it time.

In a few weeks, the bars will be a Hampton Roads first - fiber-optic counters more Vegas than Pembroke.

Sounds very neat after reading the article...really is amazing the ideas people have come up with when it comes to architecture/interior design over the past x amount of years.

I can't wait for this restaurant to open in TC. For those of us living on the fringes of VB it'll be nice to not have to drive all the way up to shore drive, or all the way out to general booth just to grab a nicely made margarita from Guads.

Anyone know what the hopeful opening date is for the restaurant?

I was told about 3 weeks ago would be about the middle of July. Not sure if everything is on target for this opening date but hopefully. Here are a couple of pics from Pilotonline.

bar500x333.jpg

The bars at Guadalajara, a Mexican restaurant, will have fiber-optic counters like those featured in larger cities.

pour450x309.jpg

Antony Facciponte of Weezer Industries puts finishing touches on one of the bars at Guadalajara.

The bars house 24,000 optical fibers and 11 metal halide bulbs that light the surface from below.

Edited by urbanvb

i work with a man, john, who personally knows the owner of the taco bell lot. tonight at work we began discussing how our business was going to be booming once the rest of TC is built (we work in town center). he mentioned that the taco bell lot was all that was left but he doesn't see the owner selling it soon. it grosses to much money for them and taco bell. he stated taco bell would probably only consider selling if they could retain a spot, probably specifically the same location and not move like the beacon, if the owner was to sell the lot. saying that though, taco bell would most definetely like to keep a drive thru of some sort because pedestrian traffic in the area isn't high enough for them to make up for the loss of a drive thru...and the few of us talking just did not see how it would work out...

however, he mentioned taco bell has a lease on the property? (i'm not sure how accurate that statement was...) and that it ends within 10 years...and if taco bell was to make a deal though it should be within that time frame (yes a long time...but i guess the owner is bound to the lease)...

sorry if this was old news, off topic, whatever...i don't have a chance much to read this, but i thought it was interested and new to me so i thought i'd share

Grr....I want them gone, lol. All in good time though. Needless to say once TC is totally built out, including blocks 9 and 11, the pressure on Taco Bell to move will be intense. Remember, the pilot had the exact same position about the beacon building a few years ago, and look what's happening now.

Yeah, it's nice I guess... Though it seems out of place. I think if they wanted a clock it should have been more central, like in front of the fountain in the center block, or in front of an entrance to one of the buildings. What would have been cool was a giant clock on the front of one of the buildings!

• 2 weeks later...