Va. Beach Town Center project 2

urbanvb

Armada Hoffler will break ground this summer on a smaller office building, about 100,000 square feet. Phase Four of the project will include another office tower similar to the current Armada Hoffler Tower.

"In a perfect world, we would break ground on that next year," Bushey said. "Our tentative date for completion of Phase Four is 2010. But we do expect there will be a Phase Five of the project."

Divaris is excited to see the growing interest in the project.

"The public at large is beginning to recognize that what we are doing is something they like and can relate to," he said. "Everything is coming together beautifully."

Pauls believes Virginia Beach now has its own urban center identity.

"Virginia Beach is now also a business center in addition to a high-quality resort area."

Guy, it looks like the very posh ROSA'S MEXICANA here in New York which is on two levels with water pouring down a similar blue wall. It's on Amsterdam Avenue near Lincoln Center.

I'll bet a quarter GUADALAJARA will be a big draw in VBTC.

Where exactly is the Guads at??? I couldn't tell from the pics. Is it part of the new tower or what is it next to.

Saw that photo the other day while browsing Divaris' site, very nice one, I like the angle this way a lot better since most of the other shots have been been from the soutwest and the smaller buildings get blocked quickly by the westin & AH buildings.

It's also easy to envision the new towers going up where the free parking lot is, the one next to the red brick building at left, and where the pilot/taco bell area is.

Would be neat if someone could superimpose buildings into those spots on this picture somehow since we've seen renderings for at least the 22-story office tower.

One day either the mall is going to have to be torn down or they are going to have to tear down the columbus station apts.

Going by logic, I'd rather tear down the Columbus Station apartments. The rail line goes by the apartments, and it would be nice to see more condos that replace the apartments, since VB probably will get a mass transit system to TC sometime in the future. The Columbus Station apartments are the only thing blocking the TC vision. I wonder about the Independence Square apartments that are across Independence Boulevard. Will the developers tear that thing down and redevelop that as the same thing as the Cornerstone just south of I-264?

It's a pity that so much of the Columbus Station complex is condominiums. It's much harder to buy out and redevelop condos, because you have to deal with one owner per unit, rather than one owner for the entire property. Not entirely unprecedented, but not common either. I don't know whether a developer would have to control 100% of the units before any changes could be made, or if they just have to control a majority (and thus the HOA) to change the rules and allow buildings to be torn down, making it uncomfortable for the residents who try to stick it out.

It's a pity that so much of the Columbus Station complex is condominiums. It's much harder to buy out and redevelop condos, because you have to deal with one owner per unit, rather than one owner for the entire property. Not entirely unprecedented, but not common either. I don't know whether a developer would have to control 100% of the units before any changes could be made, or if they just have to control a majority (and thus the HOA) to change the rules and allow buildings to be torn down, making it uncomfortable for the residents who try to stick it out.

How close are we to the saturation point for housing in that area. What's missing. Oh yeah jobs. Bring in some more industry that can have employees to afford these new condos. Merge ODU & EVMS & add a law school.

I noticed this morning the awnings coming down at Johnny Rockets on the corner of Columbus and TC Drive. When I passed by coming home this evening the store was completely empty. That location, from day 1, really never did that great a business. I chalk it up to a 'far flung' location from everything else plus I always wondered if a fast food burger restaurant was a good idea to begin with. Still even though sorry to see them go.

Edited by urbanvb

I noticed this morning the awnings coming down at Johnny Rockets on the corner of Columbus and TC Drive. When I passed by coming home this evening the store was completely empty. That location, from day 1, really never did that great a business. I chalk it up to a 'far flung' location from everything else plus I always wondered if a fast food burger restaurant was a good idea to begin with. Still even though sorry to see them go.
Any ideals on who might fill that new void?

Is there any rendering of the "new" Suntrust Bank, or pedestrian skywalk design? The skeleton of the expanded Suntrust is practically done.

I don't know about online, but there are some arcatecural and elevation drawings inside the existing building. Or at least there were a when the ground had just been broken.

Perhaps I'll make an excuse to go there at lunch tomorrow and bring my camera.

The things I notice on my way to and from work... This morning around 8:30 I was going down VB Blvd and noticed a helicopter approaching Pembroke. Sure enough, it was circling the development and was at some times very high and other VERY low! It was pretty cool to see, I wished I had my camera to take some pictures of it! Anyway, hopefully the TC website will be updated soon.

I don't know about online, but there are some arcatecural and elevation drawings inside the existing building. Or at least there were a when the ground had just been broken.

Perhaps I'll make an excuse to go there at lunch tomorrow and bring my camera.

Welcome to the forum Karrde. :)