Va. Beach Town Center project 2

urbanvb

New pedestrian bridge moving forward

Crossing busy Virginia Beach Boulevard from Pembroke Mall to Town Center might get a little easier. The City of Virginia Beach Development Authority is soliciting statements of interest from architecture and engineering firms for an elevated pedestrian walkway from one shopping center to the other in two parts.

The first part of the walkway will extend from the Armada Hoffler Tower parking garage across the boulevard to a new receiving building and the second part from the new building to the Pembroke Mall entrance.

TC to get larger tax rate cut than rest of city

The district has a tax rate of 57 cents per $100 of assessed value. That levy is in addition to the city's real estate tax rate of 99 cents per $100 of assessed value, charged to all property owners. In total, property owners in the district pay $1.56 per $100 of assessed value.

The City Council is debating a plan to cut the real estate tax rate to 93 cents per $100 of assessed value.

This year, for the first time since the district was created, Armada Hoffler asked to drop the special rate 7 cents to 50 cents per $100 of assessed value. Armada Hoffler is the only private landowner in Town Center.

Nancy Pindur, a retired former Virginia Beach teacher, recently put a $5,000 deposit on a Studio 56 loft. In the process, she discovered the higher taxes. Now, she's unsure whether she'll go through with the purchase and pay an estimated $1,500 a year in taxes she doesn't pay on her home in the Redwood Farm neighborhood.

"I have to think hard and long," Pindur said. "I'm not sure those places are worth it. It's not New York City."

I too was considering Studio 56 at one time but the tax rate is pretty outrageous imo.

Well, it looks like they'll be dropping it to $1.43 but that is still excessively high. I wonder how many would be purchases have been driven away by the excessive tax rate. It must have some effect and I had no idea until now that it was that high.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm real excited about this. I don't think they realize just how much economic benefit they're going to reap from this one bridge. It'll give the entire area a more cohesive feel and may even help to spur development on the Pembroke side of VB Blvd.

Yes, this is good news.

The Louis Jones Art Galley on the ground floor will be the lobby for the elevator to the second floor. Wawner said the gallery is renting the space temporarily.

I didn't realize their space is the future lobby for the elevator.

So someone a while back made a comment about how goofy the AH tower would look with a spire next to the Westin, so I borrowed one vdogg's of photos (hope its allright with you!) and edited it to remove the spire from AH, even w/o the Westin one being on... I think they should remove it from the AH Tower, what do yall think? Let's start a petition or something! haha

post-9359-1179283299_thumb.jpg

post-9359-1179283313_thumb.jpg

That building just plain sucks period! I wonder what in the world was going through their minds when they designed it!

Yea... I'm not the biggest fan ever. It does look a lot better without the weird spire though (and a LOT shorter... I didn't realize how much a spire can add to the visual/perceived height of a building! Should be interesting once Westin is completed...).

CBD economic impact report :)

For every $1 invested in the Town Center by the city of Virginia Beach, an additional $4 is invested by the private sector.

The city invested $85.2 million in phases one to three of the Town Center, matched by $328 million to $338 million of private investment, according to a progress report on the Central Business District tax increment financing district by the city

The spire on AH seems more effective at night, when the massive lower structure doesn't stand out so much and the spire is lit to appear more substantial, giving the whole more balance. I love the building at night, but she's a woman you don't want to wake up with in the morning.

The first Town Center Art & Wine Festival is set for Saturday, June 2 from noon until 5:00pm. The festival will take place in the Town Center Fountain Plaza and down Main Street (which will be closed to traffic) and will include an art show, a wine tasting, live jazz bands and street entertainers.

Date Day Performer Type

May 25 Fri Flashback Popular

May 26 Sat Grace Street Jazz

May 27 Sun Hampton Roads Shakespeare Festival

The Complete History of Virginia Beach – Abridged

May 27 Sun Swing Time Swing

May 30 Wed Steve Ambrose Variety

June 1 Fri Weathered Popular

June 2 Sat Swing Union Trio Jazz

June 3 Sun A-1 Party Artists Face Painting – Balloon Animals

details

Edited by urbanvb

Farmers not interested in Farmers Market :huh:

The dream of a Farmer's Market at Town Center has withered because of a lack of interest from local growers. Organizers of the market, which was scheduled to open on June 30, had lined up the funding, signed up some cheese makers and even found flower growers to sell fresh bouquets.

What they were missing were the farmers to sell Pungo strawberries, crisp sweet corn and other locally grown produce.

"We just didn't have people coming out from all over the place," said Peter Coe, owner of Taste Unlimited and chairman of the Farmers Market at Town Center Committee. Coe, along with some farmers and chefs, convinced the City Council last year to set aside $120,000 over two years to launch the satellite market.

All this, in turn, has advanced the plans for Block 9 which is anticipated to have two levels of retail with fashion on the ground floor, entertainment on the second floor and residential or office space above. The preliminary leasing of that block has started, and initial tenant reaction has been very strong.

Some views of the bank construction... These were actually harder to get than I thought they would be!

PICT0037.jpg

PICT0035.jpg

PICT0034.jpg

And for the rest of the TC project... (*Note: I took plenty of other pictures which can be seen in the Westin, Sandler Center, and City Walk Threads)

PICT0019.jpg

PICT0018.jpg

PICT0017.jpg

PICT0016.jpg

PICT0015.jpg

PICT0012.jpg

PICT0011.jpg

PICT0005.jpg

PICT0004.jpg

PICT0045.jpg

PICT0043.jpg

PICT0032.jpg

PICT0031.jpg

PICT0029.jpg

The glass looks cool in this shot...

PICT0025.jpg

PICT0023.jpg

PICT0022.jpg

PICT0021.jpg

PICT0020.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This block is coming along. Only the Pilot lot left to go... :whistling:

IMG_0303.jpg

I was taking pics of the new Guadalajara and the contractor actually invited me in. I was given the grand tour. This is their 6th location and will open in about a month.

This will be a water wall.

IMG_0292.jpg

IMG_0293.jpg

This is the bar area. I was told the countertop will feature fiber optics and will cost a whopping $250k. :w00t:

IMG_0294.jpg

IMG_0295.jpg

neat stained concrete floors :thumbsup:

IMG_0296.jpg

IMG_0297.jpg

That's it for now.