Va. Beach Town Center project 2

urbanvb

I doubt it will be closed that long, only a portion of the garage was affected. At any rate, there is gonna be a lot of hand wringing at city council about this. No sprinklers in a building attached to our only major office tower? How unbelieveably stupid. I even have a hard time believing that this passes code. Anyone here familiar with beach fire code?

Oh god. It is not known how long the garage will be closed? There goes all the business.....now the Beach will be giving all the restaurants subsidies to stay until the garage can be repaired.

:lol: You don't have to worry about that. I've never seen Town Center busier. People literally brought their whole families, kids in tow, to gawk and the garage and the fires been over for hours. Every ssingle resturant is full and has a wait time, this is like Christmas for them. :rofl:

i work at towncenter...business in the restaurant/shopping industry wasn't really affected except the initial time of the fire/evacuations when changs/cpk...had to give out numerous free meals...they didn't open the garage up until about 7 which was the biggest headache...

Town Center fire response praised

Seven years ago, when the blueprint for Town Center was conceived, a Fire Department captain questioned whether Virginia Beach could protect high-rise buildings.

On Thursday, that question was answered - at least in part - when authorities responded to a fire in a Town Center parking garage, next to the 23-story Armada Hoffler tower.....

What kills me is Vabeach fire fighters are acting like these are the first high rises in the city. What about the numerous ones on Shore drive and at the oceanfront?

Most of those (with the exception of about 5) are fully reacheable with the ladder truck, but I hear what you're saying. I think they AH and the Westin are the first true "towers" that the city has had and even AH is arguable in that category. I hear what you're saying though. There are thousands of fire depts around the world that can provide them with highrise fire training if they are that worried about their ability to respond. Heck, Richmond has quite a few highrises but you don't hear their fire dept complaining.

The closet fire station is on Thailia Rd. near Willis Wayside furniture. They are all but two lights away. They are slated for a new station there in the near future.

What the town center does need is a police sub-station with a bike unit. There were talks about that in the beginning but it hasn't happened unfortunately. It would be good to see one there as a precautionary measure.

The closet fire station is on Thailia Rd. near Willis Wayside furniture. They are all but two lights away. They are slated for a new station there in the near future.

What the town center does need is a police sub-station with a bike unit. There were talks about that in the beginning but it hasn't happened unfortunately. It would be good to see one there as a precautionary measure.

I don't see why its needed honestly. Everytime I've been to TC i've seen a constant police presence, mostly writing tickets, but they're there nonetheless. I haven't heard of any problems with rowdy or unruly behavior yet either.

The 3rd precinct is only 5 minutes away.

:lol: You don't have to worry about that. I've never seen Town Center busier. People literally brought their whole families, kids in tow, to gawk and the garage and the fires been over for hours. Every ssingle resturant is full and has a wait time, this is like Christmas for them. :rofl:

Town Center is doing phenominally (sp?) good and the foot traffic has really took off. To show you what type of people we are drawing, here are a few high end cars I have seen in and around TC - Ferrari, Bentley and Lotus. I couldn't help myself and stared at the 2 door Bentley I saw recently at the theater. :shok:

Town Center is doing phenominally (sp?) good and the foot traffic has really took off. To show you what type of people we are drawing, here are a few high end cars I have seen in and around TC - Ferrari, Bentley and Lotus. I couldn't help myself and stared at the 2 door Bentley I saw recently at the theater. :shok:

So basically you guys are getting to see what I have seen working down on broadway in Portland. Oh and the Lotus is crap, I hate driving those cars.

• 4 weeks later...

Town Center is quickly filling a block of retail space below the Cosmopolitan apartments along Central Park Avenue. S.T.A.C., which stands for Style That Attracts Compliments, will open its doors the first week in October. It's a high-end denim store and will be located in between The Daily Grind and Origins. Katie Mitchum and Ashlee Bunn, owners of S.T.A.C., will offer customers not just jeans, but tops, jackets and accessories.

link