Bentonville, Arkansas

mcheiss

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

MasonsDad1, itk,

- I saw the neighbor in the new, newly-bought house I was telling you about, second house north of the Glass Center and immediately north of the 8th street future embankment. I asked her what her sale price was.

$282,000.

She also had just moved from a block away...this house was bigger. She also said she'd heard a little bit about the future 8th street development, which happened to be mentioned in the following day's Benton County Record.

- Something a bit more ominous, IMO.

I called a plumber to help with a sink problem in our now 10 year old house, and we got to talking about mine and other less than ten year old houses.

He gets around in his profession. And he was saying that he was going to have to cut through a wall on a $500,000-range house in B'ville due to some type of improper installation. And he said that these new homes being built in this area are going to be a, quote: "service plumber's dream" in the next few years because of the (less-than-ideal) way so many of them are being constructed. I don't know if the fault would lie with the contractor, or the crew, or both.

(I said my biggest fear for Bentonville/Rogers, with which he concurred, are that so many of these homes are "slab homes" without a basement, and that someday there will be an F-4 or greater tornado which will follow the same general path as twisters in the past five years will have but will occur in the afternoon with maximum heating and strength. (This is a harrowing story about what happened along Kell Parkway in Wichita Falls, TX in April 1979. Can you imagine if, as the path has happened in the past two tornadic events, such a storm occurred right along the road from Centerton to Rogers at rush hour? :stop: ) That's due more to the terrain rather than the builders, but still I don't want to imagine the result.)

I called a plumber to help with a sink problem in our now 10 year old house, and we got to talking about mine and other less than ten year old houses.

He gets around in his profession. And he was saying that he was going to have to cut through a wall on a $500,000-range house in B'ville due to some type of improper installation. And he said that these new homes being built in this area are going to be a, quote: "service plumber's dream" in the next few years because of the (less-than-ideal) way so many of them are being constructed. I don't know if the fault would lie with the contractor, or the crew, or both.

Everyone I know that has a house built in the last 5 years has something major wrong with the house. Most problems seem to be slab foundations cracking due to homes hastily built on soft dirt that wasn't properly prepared. A friend of mine is now renting new home that has a major water leak under the slab foundation... that should cost the owner a pretty penny, but they're trying to sell the house (good luck with that). Seems to me that not only are new homes overpriced considering the rural location of NWA, but most are probably depreciated by a large percentage as soon as they're built due to low quality construction.

(I said my biggest fear for Bentonville/Rogers, with which he concurred, are that so many of these homes are "slab homes" without a basement, and that someday there will be an F-4 or greater tornado which will follow the same general path as twisters in the past five years will have but will occur in the afternoon with maximum heating and strength. (This is a harrowing story about what happened along Kell Parkway in Wichita Falls, TX in April 1979. Can you imagine if, as the path has happened in the past two tornadic events, such a storm occurred right along the road from Centerton to Rogers at rush hour? :stop: ) That's due more to the terrain rather than the builders, but still I don't want to imagine the result.)

I don't know about that, but the way the area is sprawling outward it does make a more invitin target to tornadoes.

MasonsDad1, itk,

- I saw the neighbor in the new, newly-bought house I was telling you about, second house north of the Glass Center and immediately north of the 8th street future embankment. I asked her what her sale price was.

$282,000.

She also had just moved from a block away...this house was bigger. She also said she'd heard a little bit about the future 8th street development, which happened to be mentioned in the following day's Benton County Record.

Yeah I saw recently that while home sales have slowed down in NWA compared to central Arkansas. Home prices keep going up. The average price of homes in NWA in particular in Benton County is quite a bit higher than even any of the central Arkansas counties.

• 2 weeks later...

Verizon is making their way to Bentonville. Verizon has some pretty good looking phones. I think that they have the coolest phones in my opinion. Verizon Establishing Roots In Bentonville

I am ready for Verizon to come to NWA. They have the best coverage in my opinon acorss the nation and they have the neatest phones (this is my personal favorite http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/c...edPhoneId=2694). The feature I like best is that their phones with navigation, which is pretty sweet. Also it is nice if you can get a bundle package with home phone and internet as well.

I am ready for Verizon to come to NWA. They have the best coverage in my opinon acorss the nation and they have the neatest phones (this is my personal favorite http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/c...edPhoneId=2694). The feature I like best is that their phones with navigation, which is pretty sweet. Also it is nice if you can get a bundle package with home phone and internet as well.

I personally like the LG VX9400. It have V Cast Mobile TV, V Cast Music, VZ Navigator and everything. I also like the design of it. I really like how it swivels too. Haven't seen anything like it.

Almost put this in the "W Aloft" thread but...

Did anyone see this article about the new Simmons Suites hotel that just opened up in Bentonville off I-540 at the Pea Ridge/Central Ave. turnoff? It's right across the street (East side of the interstate) from the Courtyard by Marriott hotel.

Although it's multistory you almost have to be looking for it to see it right off the highway. At night, the lighting on it is very subdued compared to other hotels, and the colors of the hotel in daylight are muted earth tones. However, the article above makes it clear that this hotel has some fascinating amenities. There is a significant concentration of vendors on the east side of that interchange so it's a good location for this, I would think.

(EDIT: Kind of basic looking, but here's the Simmons Suites web site.)

Does anyone know when the Fletchers Nissan on Moberly will be completed?

Sorry I can't help you there, nwa 479.

However, more stuff coming for Bentonville particularly along the Airport corridor/Hwy 12, mainly housing developments, apartments, chain restaurants and (pleagh) a "Kum and Go" convenience store (a new White Oak Station, not mentioned in these articles I don't think, is also set to open by the new stoplight at the Cave Springs turnoff on Highway 12.

Here and here (Highway 12 specific).

BTW, there's also a new convenience store in Vaughn going in next to the old apple orchard, across from the new fairgrounds.

That makes 3 such new stores planned or being built along that Hwy 12 corridor...one for each new planned fire station. :shades:

I don't know if this is true or not, but I've been hearing that the Landers McLarty Nissan on Moberly is opened. I haven't gone by to see this so if anyone could confirm this then that would be great.

Last time I went by it was a steel frame, of course that was a while ago. I'll check this week.

Speaking of gas stations, anyone notice that BP's have been popping up like mad in NWA? Seems like all of the Concos or Philips or whatever were boughth by BP. I will say that they look much nicer that what was there before.

Last time I went by it was a steel frame, of course that was a while ago. I'll check this week.

Speaking of gas stations, anyone notice that BP's have been popping up like mad in NWA? Seems like all of the Concos or Philips or whatever were boughth by BP. I will say that they look much nicer that what was there before.

Yeah, I was wondering why I've been seeing a lot of BP's. There's one right there on the corner when you come down from exit 85. And then the other one I saw was the gas station that used to be Phillips, at the intersection of 24th and Walnut (I think).

Yeah, I was wondering why I've been seeing a lot of BP's. There's one right there on the corner when you come down from exit 85. And then the other one I saw was the gas station that used to be Phillips, at the intersection of 24th and Walnut (I think).

There's a few on 6th as well in Fayetteville and a bunch along 71-B.

• 2 weeks later...

It sounds like the promoters of a Science Museum in NWA are considering Bentonville for the site of the museum. It makes good sense since Bentonville will soon be a name recognized around the world for the Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art. A group in Bentonville is also promoting the Children's Museum of Northwest Arkansas, which would only add to Bentonville being a prime location for a Science Museum, especially an accredited museum.

Narration of a visit to Bentonville's Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art:

Tourists flying into XNA won't have far to drive to their choice of luxurious hotels and fine dining in Bentonville or neighboring Rogers. In the morning our visitors park their rental in downtown Bentonville and take a leisurely stroll from the historic Bentonville Square to Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art. After a few hours enjoying the finest art museum the region has to offer they stroll back to the Square for lunch and to visit the Wal-Mart Visitor's Center; everyone has to see it at least once! Their leisurely walk continues to the Science Museum of Northwest Arkansas and the neighboring Children's Museum of Northwest Arkansas. After these sophisticated visitors have their fill of museums they head out to Pinnacle Hills to be impressed with upscale shopping and fine dining; I mean several locals mentioned Pinnacle Hills as a must for any visitor. After an evening perusing the many unique shops and enjoying a fine dinner at the Pinnacle Hills Promenade, the regions largest and most upscale shopping center, our visitors decide they aren't tired yet. So, after asking some friendly locals for advice on where to find live entertainment they head south to Dickson Street in nearby Fayetteville. After enjoying a night of live music and spirits our happy visitors make a vow to return to Dickson Street on their next trip to Bentonville.

In the morning another group of satisfied visitors to Bentonville, Arkansas fly from XNA to spread the word to their friends all over the world.

And they lived happily ever after. :camera:

Hadn't thought of it like that. Almost makes Dickson St sound like just an after thought.

I don't know if Dickson Street would be an afterthought since it would leave a lasting impression on visitors. The alternative to this narrative would be on the visitors next visit they decided to stay in one of the hotels in Fayetteville (Renaissance, Cosmopolitan) and just make the drive up to Bentonville for the museums. Besides, I edited out the part that after a night of live music and spirits our, slightly inebriated, vistors drive back to their hotel in Rogers. Instead of driving while intoxicated they decide that staying in Fayetteville next time they visit Bentonville would be the best option.

A new retirement complex called The Arbors at Deer Crossing is going to be built in Bentonville. It's going to be similar to The Arbors at Pinnacle Ridge in Rogers. The development will be about 50% greenspace, with picnic areas, two water features, a waterway, walking trail, clubhouse and a pool. It will be located on 23 acres at Parnell Road and SW I Street, near the Bentonville municipal airport. The will be around 89 residences with prices between $180K to $240K and will be maintenance free. This development should take about 3 years to build.

Here's a render of one of the 4-plexes that will be part of The Arbors at Deer Crossing in Bentonville.

512247495_dc6417dda5_o.jpg

It's just one of three Epcon Communities in NWA, with The Arbors at Pinnacle Ridge in Rogers already completed and 70% full. The other Epcon Community is planned for Fayetteville.

Archived