Bentonville, Arkansas

mcheiss

Here's a render of one of the 4-plexes that will be part of The Arbors at Deer Crossing in Bentonville.

512247495_dc6417dda5_o.jpg

It's just one of three Epcon Communities in NWA, with The Arbors at Pinnacle Ridge in Rogers already completed and 70% full. The other Epcon Community is planned for Fayetteville.

I think the one in Fayetteville is located in the Springwoods Development near I-540 and Hwy 112. They have 5 or 10 buildings under construction already.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bentonville Update for today #2...4,200 high school students expected in four years at BHS. (The location near Centerton sure would seem like a smarter location for a new high school than the one behind the existing BHS...)

The Links at Rainbow Curve is also planned (as of March) for that area. It should be a typical Lindsey Links golf course apartment complex, but is supposed to have 20% commercial space. The Uptown Village PUD you found sounds like it will add balance to Rainbow Curve with The Links a stones throw away.

• 2 weeks later...

According to the paper, this may be gaining approval tonight. The Neighborhood Market would be, I believe, west of where they're turning dirt for a new White Oak Station.

Growth goes on...

Any growth in Bentonville is good, but I'm still waiting for something to start happening in downtown. There doesn't seem to be any organized effort to develop downtown Bentonville, but I guess the weak spots of the city need to be focused on before downtown.

I don't think I'd have used the choice of words Ed Clifford said given the times we're in :unsure: , but it looks like the Neighborhood Market at Rainbow Curve is a done deal:

Wal-Mart already has a Neighborhood Market on Arkansas 102 in Bentonville near NorthWest Arkansas Community College. Ed Clifford, president of the Bentonville-Bella Vista Chamber of Commerce, said he believed Wal-Mart wants to build a Neighborhood Market at Uptown Village because there are several residential areas already there or under way.

Clifford said the city recently hosted a groundbreaking for The Arbors at Deer Crossing, a $22.5 million, 23-acre residential area on Arkansas 12, and he noted that several businesses have popped up along the area.

"There's just a ton of potential out there. I see it as carrying all the way to the (Northwest Arkansas Regional) airport. We're just about to see that airport area explode," Clifford said.

http://www.nwaonline.net/articles/2007/06/...62307wmmark.txt

I don't think I'd have used the choice of words Ed Clifford said given the times we're in :unsure: , but it looks like the Neighborhood Market at Rainbow Curve is a done deal:

The airport area needs more road access, but yes it will most likely be a hot spot for residential and commercial development over the course of the next decade. But, again it's just drawing attention away from downtown Bentonville which has the potential side effect of turing downtown into another downtown Rogers.

The airport area needs more road access, but yes it will most likely be a hot spot for residential and commercial development over the course of the next decade. But, again it's just drawing attention away from downtown Bentonville which has the potential side effect of turing downtown into another downtown Rogers.

Downtown Bentonville has a lot more going than Downtown Rogers at the moment. Plus Bentonville has a solid downtown plan. I wouldn't completely rule out future development in that area.

Downtown Bentonville has a lot more going than Downtown Rogers at the moment. Plus Bentonville has a solid downtown plan. I wouldn't completely rule out future development in that area.

A plan is only as good as the action that follows through on that plan. So far there's been very little action in downtown Bentonville. Hopefully Crystal Bridges will change that.

I've been wondering what all the dirt was flying for off of Nomad road south of the Wal-Mart DC 6094...now we know. (375 new houses anticipated in a subdivision that the developers intend to be different in many ways from the cookie cutter stuff not far away.)

It's astounding how different the drive from the Airport to Walton Blvd. is going to be next year (when the convenience stores, some of the fire stations (?) and the W-M Neighborhood market should be open) from what it was when I had my first NWA job interview in April 2002.

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe I just missed it but I was a little surprised to see a mixed-use development not mentioned here. It's called Liberty Plaza and it's being done by the same group that's doing the Woodstock Community in west Fayetteville. Here's some links.

http://www.tunspan.com/cutsheets/Urban%20D...rty%20Plaza.pdf

http://www.tunspan.com/projects.htm

Maybe I just missed it but I was a little surprised to see a mixed-use development not mentioned here. It's called Liberty Plaza and it's being done by the same group that's doing the Woodstock Community in west Fayetteville. Here's some links.

Double WOW, Mith. Nice find!

In my February 21 post on this thread, I said I'd run into the project manager for Grandview Heights on the lake, and he was sure enough about downtown Bentonville's potential to bring in the folks that built the Mall of America in Minneapolis...he said he actually got the developers down here to look around. He was convinced there was potential for something very special in downtown, and he seemed to indicate they were impressed.

At the time I thought something like: "No way...we've just opened Pinnacle Hills Promenade, for Pete's sake". And I'm not sure that he was necessarily envisioning a "Mall of America in the Ozarks". But I've said over and over that we don't fully know what all we've got here in NWA, and have no clue (IMO) what's about to be in our midst with projects like Crystal Bridges.

These renderings show me that the Grandview Heights guy might not have been that far off in his thinking...whoa!

While drving north on I540 I noticed dirt work on the east side of the road between it and the Neighborhood Market. Anyone know what it going on there? I'm usually looking west towards the Superior Bldg. and just caught a glimpse of fresh dirt and pipe. I think all that land is owned by Wal Mart, are they expanding office space over there?

That is an awesome development for downtown Bentonville! I haven't been doing much searching lately so it must be a fairly recent project rendering. It's simply amazing and even more impressive than the Bentonville Master Plan. I'm pretty certain that Liberty Plaza will take at least 20 years to be completely built, but even a portion of it in the next 5 years will be incredible.

In my February 21 post on this thread, I said I'd run into the project manager for Grandview Heights on the lake, and he was sure enough about downtown Bentonville's potential to bring in the folks that built the Mall of America in Minneapolis...he said he actually got the developers down here to look around. He was convinced there was potential for something very special in downtown, and he seemed to indicate they were impressed.

At the time I thought something like: "No way...we've just opened Pinnacle Hills Promenade, for Pete's sake". And I'm not sure that he was necessarily envisioning a "Mall of America in the Ozarks". But I've said over and over that we don't fully know what all we've got here in NWA, and have no clue (IMO) what's about to be in our midst with projects like Crystal Bridges.

These renderings show me that the Grandview Heights guy might not have been that far off in his thinking...whoa!

Are you saying there is a possibility of having something like a Mall of America in NWA? I Can't see that happening anytime soon. I mean we just got the Promenade. Why would they think of something that big? The promenade was suppose to be the biggest thing to happen in NWA forever, but after it has been built, I just say that its OK. If it had a little better mix of stores, I would say it would be a huge deal for NWA.

Are you saying there is a possibility of having something like a Mall of America in NWA? I Can't see that happening anytime soon. I mean we just got the Promenade. Why would they think of something that big? The promenade was suppose to be the biggest thing to happen in NWA forever, but after it has been built, I just say that its OK. If it had a little better mix of stores, I would say it would be a huge deal for NWA.

Remus, I'm with you. I'm expecting big things from NWA, but a "Mall of America" type thing isn't one of them - yet. I don't think that was exactly what the Grandview Heights project manager was necessarily thinking, either...more a significantly intensive downtown development of some sort.

However, this gentleman (I think he's the one quoted in the most recently linked article on the development) said he brought the same "Mall of America" developers down to NWA, and, as I recall, specifically to downtown Bentonville because he saw a wide open potential there. He indicated that they were impressed with the area, though he didn't say anything beyond that.

The drawing that Mith linked to, if it's by a different concern than one connected to the GH project manager, tells me other folks are seeing similar possibilities.

Simon Properties developed the Mall of America. They are the largest ownership group of malls in the Southwestern US. They also own University Mall in Little Rock which is almost completely vacant and run down beyond repair. It is a major eyesore and roadblock to the developing mid-town area. Simon has been known for letting many of their properties deteriorate and for creating false promises for developements. My point is, I would not hold my breath on this one...

Simon Properties developed the Mall of America. They are the largest ownership group of malls in the Southwestern US. They also own University Mall in Little Rock which is almost completely vacant and run down beyond repair. It is a major eyesore and roadblock to the developing mid-town area. Simon has been known for letting many of their properties deteriorate and for creating false promises for developements. My point is, I would not hold my breath on this one...

Is Simon behind the project drawings Mith linked to, or is it someone else?

• 2 weeks later...

Forgive if someone has mentioned this before but...

Someone had asked about the development going in west of the Bentonville WM Neighborhood market/Sam's club. There's a sign up now at the project showing what's going to be built there (nice strip center of some sort).

However, today's Benton County Record says that both a stand alone Starbuck's and a Cracker Barrel Restaurant will be going in at the Arkansas 102 / I-540 interchange. That corner where this development's taking place is the most logical spot for those, IMO, and I'm guessing that's where they'll be. There's an old (circa 80s/90s) Exxon station that's abandoned there which I'd not be surprised to see bulldozed.

• 3 weeks later...

Article in today's Benton County Record about growth to the southwest of the city as reflected in school numbers.

This seems to indicate that the Bentonville/XNA corridor is indeed seeing growth...and there are at least 2-3 fire stations, 2 convenience stores, a Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market and a Links apartment complex going in now or planned, as well as at least one new subdivision among all the others out there now. I think it's interesting (with Highfill poised to grow, and the new regional wastewater plant, we may see a gradually more continuous development track between Bentonville and Gentry/Siloam Springs, and the probable addition of Adair/Delaware Counties, OK to the NWA metro) but I also wonder - what's going to happen to traffic on Airport Boulevard, particularly with XNA itself wanting to grow?

The Bentonville Square is wired! Grab your laptop and a cup o' jo or lunch and head Downtown to the Bentonville Square. For the convenience of the thousands of patrons who work in Bentonville, the city now provides free wireless Internet service in and around the downtown square area (11 Mbps data rate).

In other News...

How to get there from there in Bentonville? Major road projects in Bentonville are ongoing. Here are some of the road projects that are underway or will be next year:

NE/NW Tiger Blvd., the main east-west corridor connecting North Walton (71B) with the north entrance of the Crystal Bridess Museum is complete. It's a beautiful two-lane road with curbs, gutter, wrought-iron looking street lamps and an 8-ft wide sidewalk. Underground utilities give it a clean look. This will be the northern route to Crystal Bridges. There's very little development along NW Tiger Blvd., but I expect that will change pretty soon.

NE John DeShields Blvd., the main east-west corridor connecting NE Moberly with the east entrance of Crystal Bridges will be completed later this year. It's also a nice two lane road with curbs, gutter, wrought-iron looking street lamps and an 8-ft wide sidewalk. A roundabout will be located at the intersection with NE Moberly. This road also runs through the middle of Memorial Park, one of the region's largest public sports and recreational facilities; which is also planned for major expansion.

Hwy 72 (E Central), the main east-west corridor connecting NE J Street with I-540 will begin road construction early 2008. This two lane road will be widened to five lanes with curb, gutter, storm drains, and an 8-ft sidewalk. This major road project is in conjunction with the AHTD. Utilities are currently being relocated. This will be the most popular route to get from I-540 to Crystal Bridges and Downtown Bentonville when completed; that is until the 8th Street road project is completed in the near future.

SE 8th St., the road everyone who works for Wal-Mart is waiting for, will be the main east-west corridor connecting I-540 to South Walton and the Wal-Mart Home Office; not to mention the Wal-Mart ISD Building and Downtown Bentonville. This major road project will include expanding to five lanes with curb, gutter, sidewalks and lighting and will include an interchange with I-540. Awaiting contraoct approval when preliminary studies will begin. The first phase of the project will consist of preliminary routing and environmental studies. This major road is a federally funded partnership.

Archived