Bentonville, Arkansas

mcheiss

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

Sounds like Bentonville is trying to set up some city planning a bit along the lines of Fayetteville. They're wanting to set up some standards and create more of an urban landscape. I don't know that that means urban in the definition of what some of us here on the forum would think. But I'm guessing it would probably be something a bit like what the Dover Kohl Group recommended to Fayetteville. Putting buildings up on the street front and encouraging mixed use developments and such. Sounds like a good idea, start it now before you have to fix mistakes later on like Springdale. I think a number of people think of Benton County as sprawling and it would be nice to see some areas try to set a different outlook.

Sounds like Bentonville is trying to set up some city planning a bit along the lines of Fayetteville. They're wanting to set up some standards and create more of an urban landscape. I don't know that that means urban in the definition of what some of us here on the forum would think. But I'm guessing it would probably be something a bit like what the Dover Kohl Group recommended to Fayetteville. Putting buildings up on the street front and encouraging mixed use developments and such. Sounds like a good idea, start it now before you have to fix mistakes later on like Springdale. I think a number of people think of Benton County as sprawling and it would be nice to see some areas try to set a different outlook.

If Bentonville adopts a Form Based Code, they will blow past Fayetteville with regards to the quality of new development. City Plan 2025 in Fayetteville addresses the concepts, a Form Based Code makes sure they are implemented.

http://nwanews.com/bcdr/News/62241/

If Bentonville adopts a Form Based Code, they will blow past Fayetteville with regards to the quality of new development. City Plan 2025 in Fayetteville addresses the concepts, a Form Based Code makes sure they are implemented.

I didn't realize that. But I'm wondering if they'll be able to stick with it. Seems like Fayetteville has had a hard time following all the suggestions that the Dover Kohl Group proposed. Anyway thanks for the details.

If Bentonville adopts it, maybe Fayetteville won't want to be outdone and we'll get it too.

In a NWA where billboards are outlawed in Springdale, anything is possible.

I think that there is a misconception that Bentonville is thinking about a form based code for the entire city. This is not accurate. From what I understand they are considering a form based code for their downtown only. They are following Fayetteville's lead.

I think that there is a misconception that Bentonville is thinking about a form based code for the entire city. This is not accurate. From what I understand they are considering a form based code for their downtown only. They are following Fayetteville's lead.

This may be true, I don't know. It would still be a huge step if they did.

Fayetteville's lead has been inconsistent at best.

The Fayetteville downtown zoning district code (form based code) is in place and it is being followed. Projects have been permitted under the new code without going to a public hearing for variances and waivers. The implementation of the goals in City Plan 2025 might be mixed at best, but the downtown code (once adopted) has worked well.

I believe this has been in the works for nearly 2 years now in Bentonville. All the PDF files of Bentonville's Downtown Master Plan can be viewed here: http://www.bentonvillear.com/planning_downtown_master.html. There are lots of nice, yet small, conceptual drawings in chapter 5. It's a very detailed master plan and has plenty of visuals. Although some progress can be seen, I have pretty much retired to the fact that its going to take many, many more years to come to fruition.

I believe this has been in the works for nearly 2 years now in Bentonville. All the PDF files of Bentonville's Downtown Master Plan can be viewed here: http://www.bentonvillear.com/planning_downtown_master.html. There are lots of nice, yet small, conceptual drawings in chapter 5. It's a very detailed master plan and has plenty of visuals. Although some progress can be seen, I have pretty much retired to the fact that its going to take many, many more years to come to fruition.

Yeah just like everything else, it takes times. We still have two more years before Crystal Bridges will be open. In other Bentonville news I heard they're also wanting to make the city more more friendly to cyclists.

• 1 month later...

Here is a link to a list we made on CNN Money. It puts Benton County at #12 for "Where the Jobs are".

Where the Jobs Are - #12

It's still pretty nice to get put on these lists. It sounds like this data was somewhat more empirical than subjective. Of course, I don't necessarily think vendor job explosions and retail growth necessarily add much to the quality of the jobs or the diversity.

Here is a link to a list we made on CNN Money. It puts Benton County at #12 for "Where the Jobs are".

Where the Jobs Are - #12

It's still pretty nice to get put on these lists. It sounds like this data was somewhat more empirical than subjective. Of course, I don't necessarily think vendor job explosions and retail growth necessarily add much to the quality of the jobs or the diversity.

Yeah it would be nice to see job growth in other fields, but still it's nice to see our area getting noticed. :D

• 1 month later...

Little bit of (possible, possibly interesting) news,

I know there's been much made of the slowdown in the NWA market. (See the Little Rock forum, and the "LR vs. NWA potential" thread).

A month or two back, the man who manages the storage facility we do business with in Bentonville was talking about how there was a dropoff, then a resurgence, of leasing activity that was unexpected. He's also a real estate agent (and a pretty sharp cookie) and mentioned a far more interesting rumor. He said that he was hearing that the Superior Building in B'ville (that big wide structure between Bentonville High and the I-540 car lots), was the subject of a takeover of sorts by ARVEST bank. There were three noteholders on the building, he said, and ARVEST had bought the other two out. He then said that the bank, founded by Sam and Helen Walton, was in a prime position to sell the building to a local company otherwise known as "you know who", and that the (I'm guessing few) tenants in the Superior building were being asked to find new places to set up shop.

Rumors come, and rumors go...I thought it interesting but didn't think much else on it. There remained huge "FOR LEASE - call xxx-xxx-xxxx" signs on the building.

Well, about two weeks ago, the "FOR LEASE" signs came down.

At the time, the man said if this indeed took place it would take a significant amount of office space off of the NWA market. I've not heard anything of this and as enterprising as Andrew and our friends at the NWA Business Journal are I'm guessing we'd have heard something by now (and forgive me if this has already been posted - I haven't seen it).

Guess we'll have to see what happens next...

Little bit of (possible, possibly interesting) news,

I know there's been much made of the slowdown in the NWA market. (See the Little Rock forum, and the "LR vs. NWA potential" thread).

A month or two back, the man who manages the storage facility we do business with in Bentonville was talking about how there was a dropoff, then a resurgence, of leasing activity that was unexpected. He's also a real estate agent (and a pretty sharp cookie) and mentioned a far more interesting rumor. He said that he was hearing that the Superior Building in B'ville (that big wide structure between Bentonville High and the I-540 car lots), was the subject of a takeover of sorts by ARVEST bank. There were three noteholders on the building, he said, and ARVEST had bought the other two out. He then said that the bank, founded by Sam and Helen Walton, was in a prime position to sell the building to a local company otherwise known as "you know who", and that the (I'm guessing few) tenants in the Superior building were being asked to find new places to set up shop.

Rumors come, and rumors go...I thought it interesting but didn't think much else on it. There remained huge "FOR LEASE - call xxx-xxx-xxxx" signs on the building.

Well, about two weeks ago, the "FOR LEASE" signs came down.

At the time, the man said if this indeed took place it would take a significant amount of office space off of the NWA market. I've not heard anything of this and as enterprising as Andrew and our friends at the NWA Business Journal are I'm guessing we'd have heard something by now (and forgive me if this has already been posted - I haven't seen it).

Guess we'll have to see what happens next...

Arvest Bank is not and was not taking over the Superior Building. This is fact.

Arvest Bank is not and was not taking over the Superior Building. This is fact.

Comreguy...never said Arvest was taking it over to stay - please reread my post.

In fact, I just got word that a very significant announcement is coming about this building in Bentonville - it will probably be on the news tonight...

Comreguy...never said Arvest was taking it over to stay - please reread my post.

In fact, I just got word that a very significant announcement is coming about this building in Bentonville - it will probably be on the news tonight...

I read your post the first time. Your source claimed that Arvest was assuming or "taking over" two of the notes on the building. It is a fact that Arvest had nothing to do with the sale to W/M.

The word has been floating around for two months or more about Big Blue purchasing Superior. The owners are solvent and not in trouble with any bank, anywhere.

Just pointing out that your Arvest rumor was just that, a rumor.

Good scoop on the building sale though.

I read your post the first time. Your source claimed that Arvest was assuming or "taking over" two of the notes on the building. It is a fact that Arvest had nothing to do with the sale to W/M.

The word has been floating around for two months or more about Big Blue purchasing Superior. The owners are solvent and not in trouble with any bank, anywhere.

All,

Here's a link to a news article regarding the purchase

http://www.nwarktimes.com/adg/News/237566/

comreguy,

I apologize for bringing up Arvest. When my source told me about this he didn't in any way whatsoever suggest (that i could discern) that any of the building's owners were in trouble or insolvent. I misunderstood and thought you believed I was saying Arvest was going to take over (as in "make its corporate headquarters") in the building - sorry about that. Glad to know for what it's worth they weren't involved in the Superior building.

Regardless, it's very significant for Bentonville what has happened this past week with the Superior sale. .

My same source said this week:

1. THe office building immediately west of the White Oak Station on Moberly and Central, which used to be pretty much a see-through, is just about fully leased. (Maybe with a few former Superior customers). Interesting because that building's sat mostly empty for about four years.

2. He knows a man who's doing significant development(s) on Rainbow curve in sw Bentonville (I'm assuming he's meaning the south side because the north side is just about built). He says a lot is going to be built there, FWIW.

comreguy,

I apologize for bringing up Arvest. When my source told me about this he didn't in any way whatsoever suggest (that i could discern) that any of the building's owners were in trouble or insolvent. I misunderstood and thought you believed I was saying Arvest was going to take over (as in "make its corporate headquarters") in the building - sorry about that. Glad to know for what it's worth they weren't involved in the Superior building.

Regardless, it's very significant for Bentonville what has happened this past week with the Superior sale. .

My same source said this week:

1. THe office building immediately west of the White Oak Station on Moberly and Central, which used to be pretty much a see-through, is just about fully leased. (Maybe with a few former Superior customers). Interesting because that building's sat mostly empty for about four years.

2. He knows a man who's doing significant development(s) on Rainbow curve in sw Bentonville (I'm assuming he's meaning the south side because the north side is just about built). He says a lot is going to be built there, FWIW.

I drove by the office building this morning as I was out and about, and it still is quite vacant, but we all know how quickly things can change. Keep in mind that Wal-Mart kicked out all of it's ISD vendors in the David Glass building. Those tenants have been seeking space in the area. I doubt they were Superior tenants.

Also, I can confirm that there will be a 23,000 sf strip center built on Walton Blvd, between McAlister's Deli and Bank of Ozarks. It was in the paper as being approved by the planning commission.

• 6 months later...

I'm starting to see several small things taking place in the B'ville area:

- New Murphy oil station on far south Walton.

- New Kum n go (hate that stupid name) stores, 1 on Airport Road, 1 being built on south Moberly

- New 1 story office complex off south Walton near the ball parks

- Extension of 8th St. west from near Norm the Tire Man to ?

- Sporadic new housing, some of it mid-level range

- New Boomerang car wash south of WM headquarters (THAT is said to be welcomed).

- New Crye Leike Realty office in Bella Vista immediately north of the Walgreen's

Yeah, it's certainly not large-scale and (as a co-worker suggested) these are possibly ones that were on the drawing board prior to last October's financial crashes.

However, construction on most things ground to a halt last year, so it's good to see new things starting to pop up regardless of the reason up here.

I'm starting to see several small things taking place in the B'ville area:

- New Murphy oil station on far south Walton.

- New Kum n go (hate that stupid name) stores, 1 on Airport Road, 1 being built on south Moberly

- New 1 story office complex off south Walton near the ball parks

- Extension of 8th St. west from near Norm the Tire Man to ?

- Sporadic new housing, some of it mid-level range

- New Boomerang car wash south of WM headquarters (THAT is said to be welcomed).

- New Crye Leike Realty office in Bella Vista immediately north of the Walgreen's

Yeah, it's certainly not large-scale and (as a co-worker suggested) these are possibly ones that were on the drawing board prior to last October's financial crashes.

However, construction on most things ground to a halt last year, so it's good to see new things starting to pop up regardless of the reason up here.

Thanks for the updates.

• 11 months later...

Archived