Columbia Economic Notes

emerging.me

I really need to be reading this article on how invasive grass species increase virus incidence in native grass species in California so I can prepare my outline for class at 6:30pm, but I think this news is worth a delay. :)

The State has this one big article outlining several significant happenings for Columbia, the most exciting of which (at least to me) is that the city's population has increased by 2500-3000. CorgiMatt, thanks for the reliable news. ;)

First, FOUR parking garages--at Sumter and Taylor, Sumter and Blanding, Pendleton and Lincoln, and Lady and Lincoln--got the green light from city council. The estimated total cost for all four is ~$43 million. The city also agreed to fund two garages in association with Innovista--one serving the Horizon Block area (partially funded by the city) and the other on Lincoln Street near the Koger Center (the city will fully fund this one).

Construction of all six garages should begin within a year, according to Steve Gantt, assistant city manager for development.

I'm hoping and praying for something like this one in Spartanburg (photo taken by Spartan):

SPA_ESAgarage01.jpg

At least let it be attractive and have some decent street-level retail. The brick facade like the one in the picture would blend in well with the Vista, but I don't want that area to be over "brickified."

CanalSide was given official approval. The developer is the Beach Co. of Charleston. A representative said construction should begin in the second or third quarter of 2006.

The old ETV headquarters on Millwood Avenue will be demolished in about two weeks to make way for $10 million Shandon Square, which will include 8 live-work town homes and 14 Charleston-style single family residences. Starting price for homes: 300K.

The city annexed nearly 200 acres of the Burnside farm property on Garners Ferry Road, home to 2500-3000 residents AND another 1,200 residences is planned for the site, which will include a pedestrian-friendly, heavily landscaped mix of homes, offices and shops set close to the road with parking in the rear, according to the real estate consultant for the project.

Columbia is going to look like a freakin' war zone in about a year.

Now back to grasses and viruses. "Anthropogenic influences that alter the activities of insect herbivores and plant pathogens..."

Wow, six garages is impressive. That Sburg garage is nice. About as good as it gets, although it needs more retail. I read a couple of years back that $8,000 per space will build a bland vanilla garage. The 600 space garage is a little over 9,000 per space and the 900 space garage is over $21,000 per space. Undoubtedly the 900 space one is very nice and must have a strong retail component to be that expensive.

Speaking of expensive, where is all the money coming from to build these. $43mm is quite a chunk of change. Parking charges will cover some of it, but usually not all of the cost.

In the paper today, the city OKs project that will add nearly 4,000 residences and parking spots downtown , and the city just annexed 200 acres on Garners Ferry Rd adding another additional1,200 to residences and more will be built. It's just so much development and building going on right now you can't keep up with it all!!

Wow, six garages is impressive. That Sburg garage is nice. About as good as it gets, although it needs more retail. I read a couple of years back that $8,000 per space will build a bland vanilla garage. The 600 space garage is a little over 9,000 per space and the 900 space garage is over $21,000 per space. Undoubtedly the 900 space one is very nice and must have a strong retail component to be that expensive.

Speaking of expensive, where is all the money coming from to build these. $43mm is quite a chunk of change. Parking charges will cover some of it, but usually not all of the cost.

The article says that the parking garage at Lady and Lincoln in the Vista will most likely have housing and retail in front of it fronting the streets.

According to a guy from the CDC, garages are supposed to have street level retial i norder to reciveive approval. Having one with housing in front of it would be a first for Cola I think. Greenville's Spring St garage has the bookends, which make up the ends of the parking garage (as the name inplies).

The Magnolia St garage in Spartanburg is interesting because from one direction it has that beige stucco look, which blends in with the other bulidings on that side of the structure, and on the other side you have brick, which matches the feel from the ESA bulding, and the other historic buildings around Morgan Square. One of these days I will try to get a picture from each of those angles.

I completely agree about the retial (though there is a bank drive through in it which you can see ot the right in thta picture). That is one of my biggest two pet peeves about Spartanburg, and one of my favorite thigns about Columbia.

I think we discussed this before, but it looks as though The Lofts at Printer's Square in the Vista may become reality soon. The four-story building would have 11 residential condominiums. That includes three penthouses, one expected to sell at $1 million. This would be located where the Eye of Gervais is currently located near Publix.

Wow... well, that's more great news for downtown. These guys are really taking a bold step, but I think it will payoff for them. I'm sure there's some executive willing to pay 1 million for all that space and those sweet views.

This is also great ammunition for me to use next time somebody tries to tell me that the Vista is still accessible to artists. :)

Wow... well, that's more great news for downtown. These guys are really taking a bold step, but I think it will payoff for them. I'm sure there's some executive willing to pay 1 million for all that space and those sweet views.

This is also great ammunition for me to use next time somebody tries to tell me that the Vista is still accessible to artists. :)

Artists should head up North Main from Elmwood to River Drive area.

Olympia and North Main are both great possiblities. I'm partial to Olympia, but you would really have to build-in some dead spots and make it walkable. I'm not familiar enough with North Main to properly assess it's viability. We are officially off-topic now I guess... maybe there needs to be an "Columbia Needs a New Arts District" topic.

Another area that I've recently started believing has a ton of potential is Triangle City. Just lay some sidewalks, do some streetscaping and you have a totally walkable little section of town. As the "West Bank" prices go up, I wouldn't be surprised if the funkiness moves on up Meeting Street -- I think you are already seeing a bit of this -- and potentially towards Triangle City. I like Olympia and will hopefully be building some houses there in the near future, but I would really get behind the Triangle City thing if West Columbia supported it.

What about Eau Claire? I know a few years back that area won an award for urban renewal or something like that. I that that area could produce a vibe as well. Especially if the greenway runs near there which still impresses me cause the greenway is away from that area unless it's just gonna travel down I-20? Which I guess is a possibility.

I vote for North Main. It already has a very diverse population and it is a great area to live. Just ask Waccamatt. Hey, wait a minute, I am Waccamatt! lol

I agree. North Main has been improving for quite some time, it'd be nice to get some retail/restaurants along Main just north of assembly to river rd. Its quite bleak and disappointing right now. However the Elmwood Park/Earlewood area is booming.

btw how do you like the "Earlewood" historic neighborhood markers on all the street signs?

I agree. North Main has been improving for quite some time, it'd be nice to get some retail/restaurants along Main just north of assembly to river rd. Its quite bleak and disappointing right now. However the Elmwood Park/Earlewood area is booming.

btw how do you like the "Earlewood" historic neighborhood markers on all the street signs?

Another place they've cleaned up dramatically compared to what is was is Two Notch Road from Taylor to Harrison Road. The streetscaping there was only the beginning.

I think this is an area will come back. Unfortunately, I think the Salvation Army creates a mental barrier in the minds of most people. Of course, that may be moving, right...? Depending on what homelessness solutions are suggested, I guess.

I like the character of the buildings in that part of North Main. I think it could be really cool. The Caddilac dealer would make a killer music venue -- people have been saying that for years. It would be really unique. I have a soft spot for that building as my grandfather helped build it.

There's an article in The Columbia Star this week about the partnership between Columbia and USC that says 10,000 housing units are expected to be downtown by the end of the decade. That figure includes those already downtown, but increase will be phenomenal in a city the size of Columbia.