Columbia Economic Notes

emerging.me

I just checked Holder Properties website since they are the company developing the above mentioned site and they do not currently have any residential developments. Hopefully they want to make a big splash with their first residential project and will make it the tallest building in South Carolina. I can dream, can't I?

Holder Properties

I don't think they'd go TOO far out with their first residential project; I'd think they would want to make their mark, yet be somewhat modest about it. Maybe somwhere around 15?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Since this is on already developed property, with multiple parcels and owners, it sounds as if the investors will have to spend a large sum to get the property. That will require either a large number of units, or luxury prices, or both. Assuming there is no height restricitons involved, I would expect this to be 10 stories at a minimum, probably closer to 20. maybe more.

Since this is on already developed property, with multiple parcels and owners, it sounds as if the investors will have to spend a large sum to get the property.  That will require either a large number of units, or luxury prices, or both.  Assuming there is no height restricitons involved, I would expect this to be 10 stories at a minimum, probably closer to 20. maybe more.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That was my opinion also, Vic. The property is on the side of Assembly Street without height restrictions, the land is expensive and the footprint is small: all of the signs point to a highrise. My fingers are crossed.

:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You sure it's in Forest Acres? I thought Beltline was the dividing line.

I was wondering why the schematic for the mall renovation showed a possible/probable relocation of the FH City Hall to the corner where the gas station/minimart is... I was thinking "That's not FH!"

:blink:

Edited by Trumble

You sure it's in Forest Acres?  I thought Beltline was the dividing line.

I was wondering why the schematic for the mall renovation showed a possible/probable relocation of the FH City Hall to the corner where the gas station/minimart is... I was thinking "That's not FH!"

:blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, the mall is in FA. The black star in Forest Acres represents Richalnd Mall.

ForestAcres.jpg

Forest Acres= Green

Columbia= Orange

Arcadia Lakes = Purple

As far as the development of riverfront property goes, I think Columbia needs to start taking notes from Des Moines.

Des Moines Principal Riverwalk

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. An ice skating rink next to the canal would be awesome! Des Moines has some cool buildings for a smaller city. Their advantage is that they are the only major city in Iowa so they get the vast majority of the state's projects.

I agree. An ice skating rink next to the canal would be awesome! Des Moines has some cool buildings for a smaller city. Their advantage is that they are the only major city in Iowa so they get the vast majority of the state's projects.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have been to Des Moines, It is a bit larger than Columbia.

I have been to Des Moines, It is a bit larger than Columbia.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, if you check the population figures, Columbia is quite a bit larger than Des Moines.

Annual Estimates of the Population of Metropolitan and Micropolitan Statistical Areas: April 1, 2000 to July 1, 2003

Population estimates April 1, 2000

July 1, 2003 July 1, 2002 July 1, 2001 July 1, 2000 "Estimates base" Census

Columbia 671,407 663,019 655,670 649,023 647,158 647,158

Des Moines 502,761 496,061 489,305 483,012 481,398 481,394

Urbanized area populations:

Columbia, SC 420,537

Des Moines, IA 370,505

UA populations

Edited by waccamatt

There's some really cool stuff in those plans. I forwarded it to Mike Dawson at the River Alliance. Although, I think Columbia's plans have suited the city well. However, I sure would like to see the City Dock plans and it would be nice if that project were kick-started.

Got the latest on the City Dock from Fred Delk at the Columbia Development Corporation. He says...

City dock is still on the plan.  It ran into a design issue with bad soil at

the canal.  The old canal area has really sub standard soil conditions.

Final plans are being done now.  Call city assistant city manager Steve

Gantt for access to the plans. 

I will have a long awaited and much needed website update soon.

Good news!