Columbia Economic Notes

emerging.me

Indeed this is good to see. If enough residential units open up on Main Street, that will be half the battle (or more) in bringing that street back to life.

Pretty soon that company is going to own half of the properties on Main St. Columbia is very fortunate that this guy found Columbia and choose to invest so heavily in it.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in Columbia this weekend for the big game (Go Cocks!) and while I was in town I made a point to check out some of the projects going on.

The FC tower looks pretty good I must say- even despite its drawbacks it is quite visually appealing. The exterior facade is nearing the top.

I didn't get a good look at the streetscaping on Main, but it didn't seem to be any further along.

The streetscaping in 5 points looks pretty good. Its been 6 months, so I couldn't recognize the place. Oh, and Sammi's moved to 5 points and now there are 3 new businesses there on Sumter next to Beezers (2 where Leo's used to be.)

The lower Bull St Garage is coming along very well. It oloks like it mught be topped out. They were still laying the foundation last time I was there.

The smooth drive on 126 was wonderful. Its about time!

That church expansion on Marion & Gervais looks good too.

I meant to check out Lady St and all that is going on there, but I did not have the chance.

• 2 weeks later...

The State has a special edition today: "How 6 Projects and 20 People Are Changing Columbia"

The online edition is excellent, with some videos. I'm gonna go pick up a hardcopy as well. It's an excellent guide to everything going on.

I have to commend 'The State' on this. Very complete and detailed. The best part was that they make it clear that all these things aren't just going to happen by momentum. They outlined certain DECISIONS that will have to be made (not Columbia's strongsuit) and the various players involved. I also liked the subtle way they put the Guinards in the middle of whether a lot of these projects actually make it off the drawing board.

To everyone that has the printed edition, hold on to it. Dust if off in 10 years and see what did and didn't happen.

Edited by vicupstate

I have to commend 'The State' on this. Very complete and detailed. The best part was that they make it clear that all these things aren't just going to happen by momentum. They outlined certain DECISIONS that will have to be made (not Columbia's strongsuit) and the various players involved. I also liked the subtle way they put the Guinards in the middle of whether a lot of these projects actually make it off the drawing board.

To everyone that has the printed edition, hold on to it. Dust if off in 10 years and see what did and didn't happen.

It's kind of like when buidlings get announced and then put in a "hold phase." But the stars are aligning beautifully in the Capital City.

Organizers of the 3 Rivers Music Festival intend to move the location from the Vista, down to riverfront. This would be a huge boost to the turn-out, I think. I really hate where they've placed the stages before. The newly proposed locations include the State Museum parking lot (great use of this space), the West Columbia Riverwalk Amphitheater, and ... wait for it... the Gervais Street Bridge.

Here's more from The State.

Organizers of the 3 Rivers Music Festival intend to move the location from the Vista, down to riverfront. This would be a huge boost to the turn-out, I think. I really hate where they've placed the stages before. The newly proposed locations include the State Museum parking lot (great use of this space), the West Columbia Riverwalk Amphitheater, and ... wait for it... the Gervais Street Bridge.

Here's more from The State.

EM, I think that is an awesome idea. The bridge as a stage would be cool...

Some prime Vista property is in the process of being cleaned up. The developers aren't saying for sure what will be built there, but they say some sort of mixed-used development is likely.

169000506000.gif

For about 100 years, a coal tar residue has been buried on the site, the former location of a gas manufacturing plant, the Columbia Gas Light Co. The cleanup is costing hundreds of thousands of dollars and involves scooping up the nonhazardous residue and hauling it to a Northeast Richland landfill. The next step in cleaning up the property includes cleansing the groundwater, which will last for about a year. Workers will put in a naturally occurring substance that cleans the groundwater.

The parcel is a little over 1

Hey, speaking of lighting the bridge! Weren't the repairs on the wiring and lights supposed to be completed months ago?? They're not on are they?? Maybe I just haven't noticed...

The lights are being repaired off-site and the electric cables will be replaced, and the bridge will be painted. The renovations are scheduled to be completed in Feb. 2006 according to WIS-TV.

Last I heard, Sherlock Holmes will locate to the basement of the new condos at the corner of Main and Taylor where the old dollar store used to be on the opposite side to Berry's on Main apartments. The website for the condos is www.1556main.com . The basement is supposed to be huge and I know they have been doing a lot of work on the building lately.

Anyone know the status of the Palmetto Building renovation? Sherlock Holmes Restaurant? I sure wish that would happen.

Theirs were the best lunches in town.

Last I heard, Sherlock Holmes will locate to the basement of the new condos at the corner of Main and Taylor where the old dollar store used to be on the opposite side to Berry's on Main apartments. The website for the condos is www.1556main.com . The basement is supposed to be huge and I know they have been doing a lot of work on the building lately.

Man, that's such a neat building. The pub will be great right there. That block is going to be awesome... Sylvan Bros., Rising High, the new 1520 condos, Canal Dime Building... and 1556 on the other end. I wanna buy that old Sports Action place -- the one with the little blue tiles on the facade -- and open up a juice bar! :)

So.. the Heart of Columbia burned *AGAIN* this weekend!? Crazy. It's not one of you guys trying to hasten the demolition is it? :) Seriously though, they need to hurry up and bring the rest of it down. Sounds like it's attracting mischief and could get dangerous. So glad to see that thing go.

Isn't it supposed to be demolished this week? It's about time, if true.