Columbia Economic Notes

emerging.me

I'm guessing 6,437....That's how many is in the 29201 zip code and tha zip code is mostly downtown

Urban analysts say that 10,000 housing units in an immediate downtown area provide the critical mass necessary to have an around the clock vibe. By 2010 we should have that critical mass, according to Temple Ligon's Columbia Star article. He has never been one to make rosy predictions for Columbia.

Urban analysts say that 10,000 housing units in an immediate downtown area provide the critical mass necessary to have an around the clock vibe. By 2010 we should have that critical mass, according to Temple Ligon's Columbia Star article. He has never been one to make rosy predictions for Columbia.

That's great news!! A downtown with non stop activity shows a progressing city.Lately Cola has being taken progressive steps towards growth and development. By 2010 Cola is going to be a whole different city full of vibrancy.

I agree. North Main has been improving for quite some time, it'd be nice to get some retail/restaurants along Main just north of assembly to river rd. Its quite bleak and disappointing right now. However the Elmwood Park/Earlewood area is booming.

btw how do you like the "Earlewood" historic neighborhood markers on all the street signs?

I like them. I've alwyas liked the neighborhood signs and designations. My favorites are the University Hill and Cottontown signs, though, they look very elegant.

That really depends on what you define as downtown. If you include the north campus of USC then that number would be substantiually higher.

I generally consider downtown to be the original city limits of Columbia, bounded by the Congaree on the West, Harden St on the East, Elmwood Park and Cottontown on the North and Whaley on the South. Pretty much, Shandon. Earlewood, Elmwood, Cottontown, Olympia and Wales Garden are practically downtown, too.

Man, it was tough work trying to just include the MAJOR things in that list! Made me appreciate what's going on in Columbia all the more!

Isn't there a comprehensive list on here somewhere? It is amazing that over $1billion in new developments have been announced or begun in Columbia this year. Does anyone realize how phenomenal that is?

I know 1billion is a huge number, but relatively speaking how phenomenal is it? By the way Krazee that was an awesome job of creating that list. Some of theos projects I forgot about.

This is how phenomenal it is: I read somewhere, probably about a year ago, that the TOTAL tax assessed value of all of the property in Richland County was something like 14 billion. If that increased by 8 or 9% in one year, that would be spectacular growth.

This article from the state yesterday:

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/news/local/13223924.htm

The hotel that they are trying to put in the Palmetto Building has hit a snag. Some kind of ordinance from 1912 was taken off the books, and now they can't put anything in the basement of the building....

(I posted that in the wrong forum last night)

Edited by Spartan

The owner of the old Palmetto Building at Main and Washington is working with the city to clear up issues concerning the basement of the building so that the city won't bear responsibility in the future over any problems resulting from the fact that much of the basement is underneath the street and sidewalk. It is supposed to be a 5-Star Sheraton with an English-style pub in the place of Sherlock Holmes. And since the building used to be a bank, the vault is being preserved as a bar. The owner, Mr. Patel, said the basement's space is essential to making the project work and the city has vowed to work with him to reach an agreement so everyone is happy and the project goes through. Renovations continue in the building.

Some interesting facts about the Region. Here is a list of the leading employers.

Top Employers

Palmetto Health Alliance: 7,700 employees

Blue Cross & Blue Shield of S.C.: 7,200

Wal-Mart: 4,500

University of South Carolina: 4,500

Lexington Medical Center: 3,700

Department of Mental Health: 3,179

SCANA & SCE&G: 3,098

Department of Corrections: 2,819

Gold Kist Inc. (Poultry, Sumter): 2,338

Department of Health and

Environmental Control: 2,228

Humana/TriCare (Insurance): 2,100

Electrolux (Riding lawn tractors, Orangeburg): 1,999

Department of Transportation: 1,962

Providence Hospital: 1,650

Michelin Tire Corp.: 1,525

Bose Corp. 1,149

Westinghouse Electric 1,028

Colonial Life & Accident Insurance 1,000

Edited by The_sandlapper

Some interesting facts about the Region. Here is a list of the leading employers.

Top Employers

Palmetto Health Alliance: 7,700 employees

Blue Cross & Blue Shield of S.C.: 7,200

Wal-Mart: 4,500

University of South Carolina: 4,500

Lexington Medical Center: 3,700

Department of Mental Health: 3,179

SCANA & SCE&G: 3,098

Department of Corrections: 2,819

Gold Kist Inc. (Poultry, Sumter): 2,338

Department of Health and

Environmental Control: 2,228

Humana/TriCare (Insurance): 2,100

Electrolux (Riding lawn tractors, Orangeburg): 1,999

Department of Transportation: 1,962

Providence Hospital: 1,650

Michelin Tire Corp.: 1,525

Bose Corp. 1,149

Westinghouse Electric 1,028

Colonial Life & Accident Insurance 1,000

That is a good list to have. No question that Columbia is a government town though...

Edited by Spartan

And the source said rumor has it that the Heart of Columbia Motel site is being spied by another hotel company - I forget whether he said which one.

I don't think I noticed this tidbit the first time around, but do you guys think that with a possible third hotel that the Vista may have a hotel overload? You've the the Hampton, the Hilton which is FINALLY underway, and now possibly a third, unidentified hotel...or will all of these hotels be warranted, banking on the success of Innovista? I think if this is the case, the convention center may possibly need to undergo some expansion. Wasn't that supposed to take place already though?