Columbia Economic Notes

emerging.me

Well, thats straight from the census so I dont konw what to tell you. Just keep in mind that there is only 1 good way for everyon in Sumter to get to Columbia, and that coudl make traffic seem like it is higher than it really is.

The census is a pretty reliable source, but I still think it's skewed. On the contrary, some people from Sumter go through Camden and then take I-20 to Columbia (particularly those that live in the Rembert and Mayesville areas).

I think commuter rail could work if it moves fast enough. Its also worth noting that commuter rail and light rail (LRT) are not the same thing.

Light rail acts more like a 'trolley' with more frequent stops, a slower speed, and fewer cars in tow.

Commuter rail would have longer trains, have a higher speed and make fewer stops. I would think no more than one or two between Newberry and downtown. The same for Batesburg and Camden.

I'm disappointed. I had hoped that land could be redeveloped into a town center kind of deal that might get some revitalization going along Bush River -- that area is definitely part of the "rust belt". A Wal-Mart might clean up that one spot, but it isn't going to do anything for the surrounding area -- except maybe cause more locally-owned small businesses to close up shop.

Edited by emerging.me

I'm disappointed. I had hoped that land could be redeveloped into a town center kind of deal that might get some revitalization going along Bush River -- that area is definitely part of the "rust belt". A Wal-Mart might clean up that one spot, but it isn't going to do anything for the surrounding area -- except maybe cause more locally-owned small businesses to close up shop.

i can agree with you, its definetly going to hurt the small buisnesses in the area. I wonder why so close and Harbinson Blvd is two exist down???

Edited by 803metlife

i can agree with you, its definetly going to hurt the small buisnesses in the area. I wonder why so close and Harbinson Blvd is two exist down???

Then again - look at what the Forest Drive Wal-Mart supercenter did for that area. Not that I like the suburban (as opposed to urban) design of that area, but there are lots of stores there now.

I did recently imagine a high-density housing development going in at the Bush River site, though. Oh, well. At least this development might signal that Columbia's suburban ring that runs through the Bush River site is about to be rediscovered and revitalized.

Then again - look at what the Forest Drive Wal-Mart supercenter did for that area. Not that I like the suburban (as opposed to urban) design of that area, but there are lots of stores there now.

I did recently imagine a high-density housing development going in at the Bush River site, though. Oh, well. At least this development might signal that Columbia's suburban ring that runs through the Bush River site is about to be rediscovered and revitalized.

Let's hope. With all that's going on I wouldn't be surprised if some developer comes along in the next year or so with plans to realize the county's vision of Dutch Square Mall and Boozer Shopping Center being turned into a town center kind of thing.

The_sandlapper,

I agree that LTR is a great solution to a messy traffic issues. However, you point to the Portland LTR as an example and that may be a mistake. The reason Portland's LTR is such a success is the fact the regional government put a green belt around the city. For Cola to pull this off the regional governments would have to put a green belt in place. I do not see that as a reality looking at the real estate market in your area. I remember when Blythewood was in the sticks and the Clemson extension had nothing but scrub oak and pines for miles and miles. Cola and Richland County would have to find a way to slow the urban sprawl in the northeast side of town.

Having the Vista as a destination spot Cola definitely has an advantage for establishing a local LTR. Unfortunately, Cola is in competition with Charlotte and Atlanta for cultural destinations and both have hubs for air carriers. I do not see a LTR solution until the region can work together to promote a regional LTR system to supplement the smaller regional air carriers that are currently shuttling people along the I-85, I-77, I-26 and I-95 transportation corridors.

I understand, I simply ment the fact that Portland's LRT reached out to many areas of the city that looked and felt very similar to mid-larger sized SE cities such as Columbia, Jacksonville, Charlotte, etc...I was really impressed with Portland's intown LRT though, although the city was compact enough to see most attractions on foot. Awesome town!

They are tryinf to capture the in-town market which is underserved by walmart. The closest ones are in West Cola and Ft Jackson.

I was just thinking that as I was reading the article.

It don't think it would hurt business on Bush River Road too much, as there isnt much to hurt. It might actually bring some life back to that area. Thats not to say I am in favor of this bit of news. Is this area in the ciity limits? If so it might be the first walmart actualy "in" Columbia.

It don't think it would hurt business on Bush River Road too much, as there isnt much to hurt. It might actually bring some life back to that area. Thats not to say I am in favor of this bit of news. Is this area in the ciity limits? If so it might be the first walmart actualy "in" Columbia.

It's not in Columbia. The Forest Drive Wal-Mart is in Columbia.

There's a story in The State on The Hangars at Owen's Field -- modern loft apartments that have been carved out of an old warehouse.

I've been over there a few times to take a look and walked through with the owner. They're really cool, but at this point in my life I just can't imagine paying that much to rent a place.

Yeah, uniquely enough usually "the state" and forum member vicupstate seem to be right on it when it comes to nailing Columbia's short comings, I wonder if he was a journalist there hmmm? :lol:

No, I am not a journalist, unless you count my high school newspaper and college yearbook. :P

Maybe I missed my calling. ;)

My problem with most journalist is they only want to report controversy, and in it's absence, create it.