Columbia Economic Notes

emerging.me

I drove down that area last month and it's coming along fine. It made me feel like i haven't been there in years. It just seems to take forever traveling from St.Andrews to Lower Richland. Hopefully we'll see more big development escpecially since that farmer sold all that land for development in front of Hot 103.9 radio station. I See that side of Columbia finally catching up with the rest of the city.

Well, seems as though the Granby Mill renovation is complete and Olympia is next in line. The renovated Granby Mills are upscale apartments, going for $1000-$2000 per month. It is yet to be decided if Olympia will be converted into apartments or condos.

OK, call me crazy and country, but why would I pay $1000-$2000 a month in rent when I can get a house for a smaller monthly payment? I hope that Olympia will be converted to condos, because if I'm going to spend upwards of $2000 a month on a dwelling place, I want to be putting some equity into it.

Well, seems as though the Granby Mill renovation is complete and Olympia is next in line. The renovated Granby Mills are upscale apartments, going for $1000-$2000 per month. It is yet to be decided if Olympia will be converted into apartments or condos.

OK, call me crazy and country, but why would I pay $1000-$2000 a month in rent when I can get a house for a smaller monthly payment? I hope that Olympia will be converted to condos, because if I'm going to spend upwards of $2000 a month on a dwelling place, I want to be putting some equity into it.

Some companies will rent these for long-term visitors and other may not want the hassle of homeownership. I agree that I would rather put that amount of money into a place I own, though.

Regarding the Olympia Mills... if you look at the floor plans of the currently available units, you'll see that the majority of them are clearly designed for a roommate type situation -- i.e. 2-4 students/young professionals sharing the rent. That was my take, anyway. I do hope they condo out the other mill. It would make sense.

Here's something interesting. I get the city's monthly mail-out on zoning requests and changes and requests to go before before the design board. At 520 Lady Street a preliminary plan was heard on November 1 for Lofts at Printer's Square at 520 Lady Street. One of the city's blue signs was placed between Trustus Theatre and the Athelete Factory. Does anyone know anything about this proposed development?

Here's something interesting. I get the city's monthly mail-out on zoning requests and changes and requests to go before before the design board. At 520 Lady Street a preliminary plan was heard on November 1 for Lofts at Printer's Square at 520 Lady Street. One of the city's blue signs was placed between Trustus Theatre and the Athelete Factory. Does anyone know anything about this proposed development?

An inside source told me this morning that the Eye On Gervais building would be torn down and replaced by a four-story condo building fronting Lady Street, but right now it is in the conceptual phase. The preliminary plan is to be presented November 15; the November 1 date was wrong. The address is 530, not 520. The source also told me that people would not believe all the housing developments that will be announced in the next year for the Vista. We're talking hundreds of housing units (mixed income opportunities) outside of the developments already announced that everyone knows about.

I was told this morning by another inside source that the old Palmetto Building is going to be a Sheraton. The Sheraton on I-20 is going to become a Ramada. They are renovating the old Palmetto Building now - every day men are in there gutting the place. Also, last week I saw a crane lifting a heating & AC unit onto the top of the Barringer Building. So, 80 apartments in the Barringer, however many hotel rooms in the 16-story Sheraton, the Nickalodean in the old Fox Theater, Workshop Theatre in the old Republic National Bank building, more condos next to Rising High and in the McCrory building, and a 500-member fitness club relocated to the Tapps building are some of the developments we have to look forward to. And the source said rumor has it that the Heart of Columbia Motel site is being spied by another hotel company - I forget whether he said which one.

An inside source told me this morning that the Eye On Gervais building would be torn down and replaced by a four-story condo building fronting Lady Street, but right now it is in the conceptual phase. The preliminary plan is to be presented November 15; the November 1 date was wrong. The address is 530, not 520. The source also told me that people would not believe all the housing developments that will be announced in the next year for the Vista. We're talking hundreds of housing units (mixed income opportunities) outside of the developments already announced that everyone knows about.

I knew it was only a matter of time. The area has been a sleeping giant. I think Columbia will be making a big stink for a while now! I just wish the city would have noticed its potential 20 years ago instead of 5!

I'm happy to hear all of that good news. I drove by the stadium tonight and the framework of the first floor of Carolina Walk condos is starting to go up. The first floor framework on The Spur is almost finished. Construction on Stadium Lofts has also started, with the interior of the old buildings taken out and the redevelopment beginning. Renaissance Plaza is looking great and the First Citizens Building should have the outside finished within a few months. The Heart Hospital at Palmetto Richland looks almost ready too.

No. The Nick has bought the old Fox Theater next to Louries and will now have to do some fundraising to renovate. I would expect that to happen and will benefit the Nick and downtown revitalization. The Workshop looks like it may have failed in their efforts. The have drug their feet for so long, i understand someone else has it under contract for offices and a pub in the basement.

Are the Nickalodeon and Workshop theaters a done deal? It is a no-brainer idea, I hope it happens.
Edited by mainstreeter

The University of South Carolina's technology incubator has graduated two more companies tuesday, adding to the knowledge based economy the state and the area wants to build. The information technology, Advanced Automation Consulting, servicing company now employs 40 workers earning $90,000 a year on average. Digital Systems Support Inc. is an information technology solutions company, It is leaving the nest with 18 full-time and 10 part-time employees, who earn $40,000 a year on average. USC tech incubator