Sprindale Minor League Sports Complex and Minor League Baseball Stadium

mcheiss

I think the UA will still beat out the Springdale team in attendance but I think both are viable. Nobody in college baseball is outdrawing the Hogs and I still bet the Springdale team averages 4000.

I think part of it is the whole stadium issue. Apparently theirs is downtown in a great location but ultimately it's the most outdated stadium in the league (not counting Ray Winder as it's closing) and only one (Tulsa) is really close. The atmosphere is most of the product you're offering in minor league baseball and theirs is a problem. The Wichitans blame the Riches but they can't change the venue. The city should've realized the situation a long time ago and took action to prevent it by adding more than just a fresh coat of paint.

The Travelers were at the top of the Texas League every year when I was a kid and now they're near the bottom. A lot of that is a run-down stadium in a town with a shiny new arena and entertainment district. I bet attendance triples next year, though, because of the new stadium and location. The atmosphere and product are going to be several-fold improved.

I think it will appeal more to many of the people who have moved here from out of state. To be honest many of them probably just aren't going to become big Razorback fans so they want some other sports to support in the area.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it will appeal more to many of the people who have moved here from out of state. To be honest many of them probably just aren't going to become big Razorback fans so they want some other sports to support in the area.

Perhaps, but the support for the baseball team has been really phenomenal. The same has generally been true of the basketball team which is always a national attendance leader, even with hard times of late.

There are most likely tens of thousands of baseball fans now living in NWA that aren't necessarily Razorbacks fans so the new minor league team will have great attendance, maybe better than the Travellers, but the Razorbacks attendance shouldn't be affected at all. It's impossible to predict attendance in NWA because there's never been any minor league sports here, but the are tens of thousands of people who are used to minor league sports now living here.

I think initially there won't be any problems getting people to attend games. But I am curious to see what happens a couple of years down the road when the newness wears off and more minor league teams start popping up, especially over at the sports arena by the airport.

Now that I've said that, I wonder how long before the Wranglers finally start making some comments on what they'll do.

I think initially there won't be any problems getting people to attend games. But I am curious to see what happens a couple of years down the road when the newness wears off and more minor league teams start popping up, especially over at the sports arena by the airport.

Now that I've said that, I wonder how long before the Wranglers finally start making some comments on what they'll do.

I think one issue is that the Wranglers will play 43 home games between early April and early Sept and possibly a few extra playoff games. The Razorbacks played 28 home games between late Feb and early June. That's a total of 71 games to attend. The plus is that availability of being able to see a game for several months will be great. It's tough to go to that many games, though, or really even to a fraction of them. I agree the fan base will be slightly different for both and that will help but I bet minor league baseball attendance picks up briskly after the UA season ends in June until the end of the season when UA football starts. I think you'll see a lot of tickets sold but actual empty seats for the games early in the year.

The other issue is that a lot of people drive in from outside of the immediate region for UA events, though that's less true of baseball. Those people are probably unique to the UA fan base and won't opt for the minor league games as some of the northern settlers up in Benton Co have no interest in going to UA games.

I think one issue is that the Wranglers will play 43 home games between early April and early Sept and possibly a few extra playoff games. The Razorbacks played 28 home games between late Feb and early June. That's a total of 71 games to attend. The plus is that availability of being able to see a game for several months will be great. It's tough to go to that many games, though, or really even to a fraction of them. I agree the fan base will be slightly different for both and that will help but I bet minor league baseball attendance picks up briskly after the UA season ends in June until the end of the season when UA football starts. I think you'll see a lot of tickets sold but actual empty seats for the games early in the year.

The other issue is that a lot of people drive in from outside of the immediate region for UA events, though that's less true of baseball. Those people are probably unique to the UA fan base and won't opt for the minor league games as some of the northern settlers up in Benton Co have no interest in going to UA games.

Yeah I could see early attendance being a bit of a problem while there are Razorback sports still going on. But I certainly look forward to having something going on sports-wise in the area after the Razorbacks finish up all their sports for the season.

Yeah I could see early attendance being a bit of a problem while there are Razorback sports still going on. But I certainly look forward to having something going on sports-wise in the area after the Razorbacks finish up all their sports for the season.

I screwed up, there are 70 home games a year for a TL team - so that's 98 total games.

I think minor league baseball is ideal because it nicely fills the gap when there are no UA sports going on in the summer.

Just thought I'd mention a few things I just heard on KNWA. They mentioned Springdale has mentioned that news on a team COULD come in the next few days. There won't be any work done on the new stadium until there is a team. The rendering that everone has seen is preliminary and it is not the finished design. Interestly KNWA actually called people in Wichita to ask them about what they thought about possibly losing the Wranglers. Most obviously weren't happy but they didn't react too negatively like some of the responses I've seen on the net.

Turns out that Rick Shaeffer was wrong - the UA won't allow the stadium to be used in 2007 after all.

STILL, nobody's notified Wichita and nobody's returning calls for the Riches. Kind of a bum way they handled this for the folks in Wichita.

Hmmmm...that does make the situation a bit more awkward if they can't move immediately. Not sure if there's any other suitable location for them to play next year. Hopefully this isn't going to make the negotiations harder now. To be honest I still feel that it's basically all said and done. It sounds like everyone wanted to wait till the results are certified and made official before any announcements are made. The vote will be certified and made oficial on Friday. I get the impression that Springdale oficials are expecting the Wranglers to make their announcement next week.

Hmmmm...that does make the situation a bit more awkward if they can't move immediately. Not sure if there's any other suitable location for them to play next year. Hopefully this isn't going to make the negotiations harder now. To be honest I still feel that it's basically all said and done. It sounds like everyone wanted to wait till the results are certified and made official before any announcements are made. The vote will be certified and made oficial on Friday. I get the impression that Springdale oficials are expecting the Wranglers to make their announcement next week.

I think it's a done deal, no doubt. It's not uncommon for teams to have a "lame duck" season while waiting for a new stadium to be built. Unfortunately, the owners will lose revenue that year as games will be played in front of very few fans. The 30 days for the city to buy the team are from the time they're officially notified, so I think it's time to get that ball rolling.

I think it's a done deal, no doubt. It's not uncommon for teams to have a "lame duck" season while waiting for a new stadium to be built. Unfortunately, the owners will lose revenue that year as games will be played in front of very few fans. The 30 days for the city to buy the team are from the time they're officially notified, so I think it's time to get that ball rolling.

Yeah looks like they will probably have to play next season up there because I can't think of any other alternative location for them to play if they can't play at Baum Stadium. I realize things might have been a bit rough playing at Baum and working around the Razorbacks next year but I was looking forward to it. Yeah if they thought 2,000 averages were bad wait till next year.

Yeah looks like they will probably have to play next season up there because I can't think of any other alternative location for them to play if they can't play at Baum Stadium. I realize things might have been a bit rough playing at Baum and working around the Razorbacks next year but I was looking forward to it. Yeah if they thought 2,000 averages were bad wait till next year.

That 2000 number is for ticket sales and not actual attendance.

Drop off the season ticket-holders who'll stop buying their packages and I bet they're lucky to average 500 next year.

I still have to say I'm looking forward to all of this. I think being in the North Division of the Texas League is a perfect place for NWA. I mean you're in the division with Little Rock (or I guess North Little Rock), Tulsa and Springfield. I think I read that Little Rock will actually be their furthest division game. I'm not sure if this will be a big deal to Tulsa or Springfield. But it also sets up an instate rivalry as well. Just seems like a great situation for NWA.

I still have to say I'm looking forward to all of this. I think being in the North Division of the Texas League is a perfect place for NWA. I mean you're in the division with Little Rock (or I guess North Little Rock), Tulsa and Springfield. I think I read that Little Rock will actually be their furthest division game. I'm not sure if this will be a big deal to Tulsa or Springfield. But it also sets up an instate rivalry as well. Just seems like a great situation for NWA.

That is interesting.

NWA will be the epicenter of the north division.

To Little Rock: 199 mi (about 3 hours 35 mins)

To Tulsa: 110 mi (about 2 hours 3 mins)

To Little Rock: 135 mi (about 2 hours 32 mins)

LR's the farthest away by an hour.

That is interesting.

NWA will be the epicenter of the north division.

To Little Rock: 199 mi (about 3 hours 35 mins)

To Tulsa: 110 mi (about 2 hours 3 mins)

To Little Rock: 135 mi (about 2 hours 32 mins)

LR's the farthest away by an hour.

Yeah it is a bit weird to think of it like that. I can see Little Rock/North Little Rock being interesting in a team in NWA because ofthe instate rivalry options. I'm not sure if people in Tulsa or Springfield will care whether they go to NWA or Wichita.

Yeah it is a bit weird to think of it like that. I can see Little Rock/North Little Rock being interesting in a team in NWA because ofthe instate rivalry options. I'm not sure if people in Tulsa or Springfield will care whether they go to NWA or Wichita.

Actually, I think it really minimizes travel distances. Arkansas high schools have to travel almost as far.

At one point Arkansas and Tulsa were in the same division as Shreveport and Jackson.

Fascinating,

I read a news story in the Demo-zette which made Arkansas Travs GM Bill Valentine sound quite happy at the possibility of the Springdale team...he apparently will save money on his travel budget (not surprising) going to NWA instead of Wichita, the farthest current TL North team.

He also raised the possibility of an "Arkansas Cup" or something like that to the winner of this series if it happens.

This could indeed be fun, Mith.

Fascinating,

I read a news story in the Demo-zette which made Arkansas Travs GM Bill Valentine sound quite happy at the possibility of the Springdale team...he apparently will save money on his travel budget (not surprising) going to NWA instead of Wichita, the farthest current TL North team.

He also raised the possibility of an "Arkansas Cup" or something like that to the winner of this series if it happens.

This could indeed be fun, Mith.

I think it will help both teams' attendance. In addition, there are a lot of people that grew up in LR in NWA and vice versa that would love to go to this.

I think it will help both teams' attendance. In addition, there are a lot of people that grew up in LR in NWA and vice versa that would love to go to this.

I agree, I think it will be great to have an instate rivalry like this. The U of A makes it a point to not play any teams like UALR. But I also just think it's a great situation for NWA. I also could see some interesting rivalries picking up with Tulsa and Springfield as well.

Breaking news, I guess - the Springdale vote certification has temporarily been put on hold. (This per the Wichita Eagle).

The culprit is the small amount of Springdale that's in Benton County (question for those in the know...is this part of Springdale in the Rogers or the Springdale school district? Just out of curiosity), which hasn't gotten the votes certified yet...those will be certified by Benton County on Tuesday, as Washington had already certified its share today. BTW, the vote count got even closer...just 15 votes instead of 17 on the third election question which called for the stadium.

It sounds like KNWA got in contact with someone in the Wranglers organization and they claimed to have no plans on moving. Of course they could just be saying that but the organization isn't saying anything yet. For that matter neither is the Springdale mayor. He also refused to say that the team the city is in contact with is the Wranglers. Looks like for now we'll just have to play the waiting game. I still get the impression sometime next week after the certification that some sort of announcement will be made.

Archived