Sprindale Minor League Sports Complex and Minor League Baseball Stadium

mcheiss

I can't help but comment as this is one of the most interesting things going on in the state right now.

KJW mentioned that if Wichita isn't available that there are other options. As has been stated, there are no A leagues within a reasonable distance and NWA is too small for AAA. The AA Texas League is far and away the best fit, no doubt. It sounds like other than Wichita every other franchise is secure - the smaller markets like Midland and Corpus Christi are locked in by long-term leases. There is constant shakeup in the Texas League and it is possible that San Antonio could land the Marlins and thereby no longer need its AA club, or that Frisco could move up to AAA at some point leaving an opening for NWA. This big, expensive stadium is overkill for a non-MLB affiliated minor league and those wouldn't draw significant crowds. I really think options are pretty limited.

I think this could help Springdale forge a sense of identity and that would be a good thing. It is kind of the city that's left behind in all of this NWA boom.

I think it's no coincidence that David Glass owns the Royals and that it's the Royals' AA affiliate in Wichita that's looking to move. He's very familar with the market since he live there for years as Wal-Mart's CEO.

I can't believe that they're really designing the concession and restroom areas to look like chickenhouses. I appreciate unique local tie-ins in stadia but it's going to look crappy. Hopefully this will change.

It is odd that Georges and Tysons are fairly mum. I'm surprised the Georges aren't offering to donate the land the way Stephens did. Even a token gift like that would really help the community's perception that they aren't footing the whole bill alone. Naming rights would be part of a gift like that, no doubt.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's not forget that Springdale has the Rodeo of the Ozarks, which not only hosts the regions only professional rodeo shows, but hosts demolition derbies and tractor pulls and monster truck shows. Springdale is also known as an Arkansas Community Of Excellence with good schools, affordable housing, a great hospital, the Jones Center for Families, Tyson Corporate Headquarters, good parks and the largest sports facilities in NWA. There's also plenty of shopping and restaurants in Springdale and it's central location places Springdale within a short drive from any of the other metro area attractions. Springdale is also host so FeatherFest which is the largest family-oriented festival in NWA that is free. Springdale is also situated on the busiest major intersection in NWA being I-540 and Hwy 412.

Springdale does have an identity. Springdale is a "blue collar" town with a strong sense of family and of community.

Today is the last chance to vote for this baseball stadium. Evidentally anyone from both Washington and Benton Counties can vote! Now they tell me.

"Springdale voters - including residents of Washington and Benton Counties - may vote early at the Washington County Clerk's office, weekdays from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Polls will be open from 7:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m., July 11."

Today is the last chance to vote for this baseball stadium. Evidentally anyone from both Washington and Benton Counties can vote! Now they tell me.

"Springdale voters - including residents of Washington and Benton Counties - may vote early at the Washington County Clerk's office, weekdays from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Polls will be open from 7:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m., July 11."

You sure about that? I really though only Springdale residents could vote on it because I think it's their tax. If that's the case then sure everyone vote so that Springdale people can pay for it. :lol:

I think you misunderstood.

Where did you hear this?

I haven't even heard anything about the election today.

The chickenhouses slay me.

Apparently Rick Shaeffer said on Drive Time Sports that if this passes the team would be in NWA next season, apparently playing in Baum as there's nowhere else they could play. It could be BS meant to drum up votes and I don't particularly like Shaeffer or put a lot of stock in what he says but it's worth mentioning.

You sure about that? I really though only Springdale residents could vote on it because I think it's their tax. If that's the case then sure everyone vote so that Springdale people can pay for it. :lol:

I think you misunderstood.

Where did you hear this?

I haven't even heard anything about the election today.

Dang. It's all on the front page at Springdale's official website www.Springdale.com. It is kind of odd that everyone in NWA can vote to make Springdale pay for this stadium. :D

Dang. It's all on the front page at Springdale's official website www.Springdale.com. It is kind of odd that everyone in NWA can vote to make Springdale pay for this stadium. :D

Ah, I bet they are referring more to the fact that Springdale does actually cross over into Benton County. So there would be some Springdale voters who aren't Washington County voters.

The chickenhouses slay me.

Apparently Rick Shaeffer said on Drive Time Sports that if this passes the team would be in NWA next season, apparently playing in Baum as there's nowhere else they could play. It could be BS meant to drum up votes and I don't particularly like Shaeffer or put a lot of stock in what he says but it's worth mentioning.

Rick Shaeffer! He's a genius! And chicken house architecture is the envy of the modern world!

If they build it, and if it really ends up looking like that, that's just more reason to call it Chickendale. Perfect fit!

Rick Shaeffer! He's a genius! And chicken house architecture is the envy of the modern world!

If they build it, and if it really ends up looking like that, that's just more reason to call it Chickendale. Perfect fit!

:lol: Yeah but maybe Springdale should consider going for a different 'theme' to identity itself. Seems almost a waste to have something like this to try to establish a new identity for yourself and then you go out and do something like that.

:lol: Yeah but maybe Springdale should consider going for a different 'theme' to identity itself. Seems almost a waste to have something like this to try to establish a new identity for yourself and then you go out and do something like that.

You might be a redneck if...........you design your multimillion dollar buildings to look like chickenhouses......

It really doesn't matter because I don't believe they'll get enough votes for it. Then JQH will pounce onto the scene and unveil his new masterpiece ballpark to be built in Bentonville. Sorry guys.

I think JQH would build a stadium in Rogers in the Pinnacle Area, considering he's such good friends with the Pinnacle Gang and already has land avilable to his Embassy Suites and Convention Center.

Also guys, we have to remember that the sketches for the stadium are preliminary sketches, it doesn't mean they are set in stone. Dickey-Stephens stadium designs have changed many times, so the Chicken Houses may not stay.

I wonder if JQH passed the first time why anyone would think he would opt to do it. He dropped the plan well before the Springdale saga began, telling me he probably figured out it wouldn't be profitable. I see Bentonville and Rogers working together better, though, and bringing in better private sponsorship. I could see Benton Co passing a half cent countwide tax for one year or two and I bet this would cover it depending on the private component and naming rights.

I still think Lowell is the best location for the arena and stadium, though.

I wonder if JQH passed the first time why anyone would think he would opt to do it. He dropped the plan well before the Springdale saga began, telling me he probably figured out it wouldn't be profitable. I see Bentonville and Rogers working together better, though, and bringing in better private sponsorship. I could see Benton Co passing a half cent countwide tax for one year or two and I bet this would cover it depending on the private component and naming rights.

I doubt Benton Co. will pass another countywide tax, seeing as how sales tax is already 9.0% in Rogers. People especially the carpetbaggers and snowbirds of Bella Vista won't approve of it. :D

JQH could still build a location if Springdale doesn't pass their tax tommorow. JQH never announced his plan seeing as how meetings were still taking place during the announcement of Springdale's commitment to a Stadium. You are right about Lowell, it's a great location. You know Pinnacle cleared a lot of land of 264 right near I-540 that's perfect size for a stadium. There's already infastructure such as plumbing and a good start to a foundation. Only problem is the roads. 264 is only 3 lanes, and I believe a 5 lane road would be necessary for a stadium seeing as how the large traffic woe's.

I doubt Benton Co. will pass another countywide tax, seeing as how sales tax is already 9.0% in Rogers. People especially the carpetbaggers and snowbirds of Bella Vista won't approve of it. :D

JQH could still build a location if Springdale doesn't pass their tax tommorow. JQH never announced his plan seeing as how meetings were still taking place during the announcement of Springdale's commitment to a Stadium. You are right about Lowell, it's a great location. You know Pinnacle cleared a lot of land of 264 right near I-540 that's perfect size for a stadium. There's already infastructure such as plumbing and a good start to a foundation. Only problem is the roads. 264 is only 3 lanes, and I believe a 5 lane road would be necessary for a stadium seeing as how the large traffic woe's.

I think the road issue is overstated. If we can get 75,000 out of the UA campus on mostly 2-lane roads we can surely get 5000 people out of a minor league baseball game. Plus, few people wait until the bottom of the 9th to leave those games anyway - it's more of a sporadic trickle out. Traffic's never been a big issue at Ray Winder Field even though the roads leading to I-630 are two lanes.

I think Pinnacle would be a great site, I agree. I still don't think there's money to be made by building a stadium with private money, though.

I think the road issue is overstated. If we can get 75,000 out of the UA campus on mostly 2-lane roads we can surely get 5000 people out of a minor league baseball game. Plus, few people wait until the bottom of the 9th to leave those games anyway - it's more of a sporadic trickle out. Traffic's never been a big issue at Ray Winder Field even though the roads leading to I-630 are two lanes.

You know some city official would wine about it and create a big issue of it.

I think JQH would build a stadium in Rogers in the Pinnacle Area, considering he's such good friends with the Pinnacle Gang and already has land avilable to his Embassy Suites and Convention Center.

You're probably right, besides I'd like any future ballpark to be built so that some tall buildings would visible from the grandstands. The Pinnacle Hills office park would be the most ideal location for that kind of view.

Lowell turned down the Wakahiki Water Park so they'd probably turn the ballpark down too, considering Lowell's infrastructure hasn't improved any since then.

Did he indeed drop the plan due to unprofitability?

Again, if this article's correct, a representative of Hammons was apparently on the phone with Rogers officials in December 2005 offering to build a stadium for a Texas League team. Now, perhaps projected unprofitability was the reason the group stepped aside for Springdale, but that's not a sure point yet.

What month was it that Springdale officials decided to call the special election? (And again, remember the Kansas City Star article posted yesterday...the man from Springdale is quoted as saying there is indeed an agreement with a team that was solid enough to make his city's officials agree to call a special election. And remember the K.C. Royals guy (who didn't have to comment at all) saying that it wouldn't be bad working with Springdale at all).

It all depends on the people who show up.

Did he indeed drop the plan due to unprofitability?

Again, if this article's correct, a representative of Hammons was apparently on the phone with Rogers officials in December 2005 offering to build a stadium for a Texas League team. Now, perhaps projected unprofitability was the reason the group stepped aside for Springdale, but that's not a sure point yet.

What month was it that Springdale officials decided to call the special election? (And again, remember the Kansas City Star article posted yesterday...the man from Springdale is quoted as saying there is indeed an agreement with a team that was solid enough to make his city's officials agree to call a special election. And remember the K.C. Royals guy (who didn't have to comment at all) saying that it wouldn't be bad working with Springdale at all).

It all depends on the people who show up.

I think the Royals want the move, which is interesting considering the close relationship between Wichita and KC. It really is kind of the logical place for their AA team. I have to assume part of this has to do with David Glass, the former Wal-Mart CEO, owning the team.

I read something in the paper today that said they were expecting only 2000 voters. I'm not sure which side low turnout like that would end up helping.

Archived