Sprindale Minor League Sports Complex and Minor League Baseball Stadium

mcheiss

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Noone has mentioned the fact that if Springdale doesn't get their Sam's Club back that the 1% sales tax extension would hurt much more. But if Springdale DOES get their Sam's Club back then the sales from just that single store could pay off the ballpark within 10 years or so. If I was a tax-payer in Springdale my vote would be based on just that fact.

Noone has mentioned the fact that if Springdale doesn't get their Sam's Club back that the 1% sales tax extension would hurt much more. But if Springdale DOES get their Sam's Club back then the sales from just that single store could pay off the ballpark within 10 years or so. If I was a tax-payer in Springdale my vote would be based on just that fact.

I've been hearing a lot about Springdale possibly getting their Sam's back. Has someone heard something while I was gone on vacation?

Interesting...the plot thickens (today's NWA times):

John Q. Hammons, the Springfield, Mo., hotel developer, discussed building a minor league baseball stadium in Northwest Arkansas before Springdale pursued its plans for a publicly funded facility.

Hammons said in a telephone interview this week that he didn't remember exactly when the discussion took place.

"I was interested in it, but that was several years ago," Hammons said. "With the current one, I wasn't involved."

Springdale voters will decide next week whether to extend a 1 percent sales tax to finance $ 50 million in bonds for a 6, 000-seat baseball stadium with new streets and other infrastructure west of Interstate 540 and south of U. S. 412.

If approved, Springdale will begin negotiating a stadium lease agreement with a AA-level Texas League baseball team previously identified as the Wichita Wranglers, said Perry Webb, chief executive officer of the Springdale Chamber of Commerce.

Rogers Mayor Steve Womack said he attended a meeting last summer that was led by a prominent former Major League Baseball player "with a World Series ring" and several Northwest Arkansas business leaders.

The group believed Northwest Arkansas was ready to support professional sports and that Benton County could host a minor league baseball team with a privately funded baseball stadium, Womack said.

"It was all about 'if the discussions in Northwest Arkansas are going to be about bringing pro baseball to the area, we need to set our sights a little higher and have at a minimum, Class A baseball, '" Womack said.

along with;

Webb, who has led Springdale’s effort to land a team affiliated with Major League Baseball, said he was aware of a conference phone call in December 2005 when a Hammons’ business representative offered to build a baseball stadium in Rogers for a Texas League baseball team’s owners.

“Rogers was trying to entice the owners of this team,” Webb said.

Like we've said...if Springdale doesn't build it...

...Then Rogers might get it, possibly by Pinnacle!!!!!

Sounds like a MUCH better possibility than Walt Disney at this point. :silly::thumbsup::yahoo:

Seriously, that would be FASCINATING to have that thing right south of the pinnacle (not that that would be the location). But Hammons is the one who built, essentially, the Springfield Cardinals. (AA Texas League). And the paper says he apparently had an interest in AA ball in NWA.

What a wondrous time to be alive in this neck of the woods...

Womack seemed to have gone to great lengths to meet with the "Unknown Major Leaguer" and John Q. Hammons about this.

If all doesn't work out for Springdale, look for Rogers to build this stadium with Private Funds. I doubt Liquor Sales will be an issue. I would like to see this project go in the Pinnacle Area, specifically south of the Shopps. That's where the two 16 Floor Towers are suppose to go once the Perry Road Interchange is completed. Just think, you can have the Mall, the Shopps, Condos, and the tallest Office Buildings in NWA all within an ear shot.

Womack seemed to have gone to great lengths to meet with the "Unknown Major Leaguer" and John Q. Hammons about this.

If all doesn't work out for Springdale, look for Rogers to build this stadium with Private Funds. I doubt Liquor Sales will be an issue. I would like to see this project go in the Pinnacle Area, specifically south of the Shopps. That's where the two 16 Floor Towers are suppose to go once the Perry Road Interchange is completed. Just think, you can have the Mall, the Shopps, Condos, and the tallest Office Buildings in NWA all within an ear shot.

I wonder if Hammonds would still be involved with any new possibility around Rogers if the Springdale plan fell through. I still think it will be a bit of a shame for Springdale if they don't get this done. I think something like this could help establish at least some sort of more positive image of the city.

I don't know.

Hammons built his Embassy Suites location in the Pinnacle Area of Rogers. Hammons also has built his 125,000 sq. foot convention center in the Pinnacle Area. He probably still owns some more land there, or can get it from the Pinnacle Group easy.

I don't have anything against Springdale, but I have to say that it's time NWA starts to get some Centralization. I know that sounds hard against Springdale, but it seems smarter to me to build it in Rogers.

I don't know.

Hammons built his Embassy Suites location in the Pinnacle Area of Rogers. Hammons also has built his 125,000 sq. foot convention center in the Pinnacle Area. He probably still owns some more land there, or can get it from the Pinnacle Group easy.

I don't have anything against Springdale, but I have to say that it's time NWA starts to get some Centralization. I know that sounds hard against Springdale, but it seems smarter to me to build it in Rogers.

I can see that argument, and it very well might do better in Rogers than in Springdale. But I guess I've just been thinking of ways for Springdale to get something going and I always thought sports might be something to get something going for it's identity.

I can see that argument, and it very well might do better in Rogers than in Springdale. But I guess I've just been thinking of ways for Springdale to get something going and I always thought sports might be something to get something going for it's identity.

I say that Springdale should continue adding Blue collard jobs with more and more manufacturers. I'd like to see some nice Industrial/Tech Parks out in Springdale. Personally, I could see a Semiconductor plant or something like that out in Springdale. Springdale will always have the cheapest homes as well in NWA. Possibly in 5-10 years a mall could come to Springdale. Something around 1 million sq. feet.

I don't know.

There's plenty of land and easy interstate access in Lowell.

There's plenty of land and easy interstate access in Lowell.

I think Lowell has several projects for I-540. Lowell would be a good choice. I know of one Urban Project that Lowell has discussed possibilities for. It's off 71-B, but not far from Lowell that suppose to include many Mid-Rises.

But, Lowell may have trouble with providing infastructure to a stadium (just as we saw with the Water Park). 264 is about the biggest road in Lowell that has room to develop on, but it's only 3 lanes. I couldn't see a Private Investor paying for road upgrades or larger sewer connections seeing as how money is already tight enough with a ballpark. Rogers does have necessary infastructure with plenty of 5 lane roads and some larger underconstruction in the southern and western portions of the city. Therefore Rogers may be the best choice for this park.

Yeah Lowell is a nice central location. Although I think I agree with Matt. It's still rather small and probably not quite big enough to handle any big projects. Hopefully that will change.

Mith, I'm far from the brightest bulb in the chandelier, but I've believed since moving here four years ago that when the area between Rogers and Lowell (and Lowell and Elm Springs Rd. in Springdale) fills in that's when we'll REALLY be hit with how big this area has become.

If Lowell gets their act together from a utilities standpoint, watch out. (BTW, off topic somewhat, but growth is also really ramping up at Cave Springs west of Lowell. I've heard tell that CS, currently in the Bentonville school district, may split off into Rogers though I'm not sure how easy that would be (different thread!). Read in the newspaper this week that Rogers may add a THIRD new high school, and I'd think the Lowell area might be affected.)

I'm wondering if an merger between Rogers and Cave Springs and Lowell could happen in the future.

Cave Springs has some good land out there, but the only business the city has is a Dollar General Store I believe. If Rogers could take it over, along with Lowell, I think that area could really start to develop high-rises.

That article is actually from the News-Leader. I noticed that it talked about Price Cutter Park in Ozark, which is where the Ozark Mountain Duck's played before the Card's came to town. That stadium has 6,000 seats and lawn seating. When the Duck's stoped playing there it has been use for a number of things, Linkin Park and Michelle Branch both played sold out concerts there, along with state high school ball games. Now there is another league for simi-pro players currently playing on the field. I'm not sure what the name is so I'll have to get back on that one. Anyway's its a nice stadium and is used for a number of thing's.

Here are some pics:

ozark4.jpg

sized_000CB296-9C55-1036-A08D00017F00006C.jpg

field.jpg

That would realy displease me if springdale didnt get the stadium, springdale has nothing, and this could help out the city alot, and besides, who wants to watch a game and not be able to enjoy a nice cold adult beverage, i know that if it was built in a dry county that the attendence wouldntr be anywhere near what a wet counties would be

Archived