Sprindale Minor League Sports Complex and Minor League Baseball Stadium

mcheiss

The Riches have already told Wichita that when Springdale makes them an offer that they'll give Wichita time to match the offer.

I thought that was part of league rules. Not the Riches trying to butter up Wichita.

If not it is a good business move. It's all about making money. Yes, they are playing both cities, but what can Springdale citizens do to stop the council from promising every seat will be sold out to the Riches. The citizens don't get to vote on the lease agreements. they just voted for the stadium.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought that was part of league rules. Not the Riches trying to butter up Wichita.

If not it is a good business move. It's all about making money. Yes, they are playing both cities, but what can Springdale citizens do to stop the council from promising every seat will be sold out to the Riches. The citizens don't get to vote on the lease agreements. they just voted for the stadium.

I'm guessing that the Springdale Stadium will have good enough attendance to produce enough revenue for advertising and promotions so that local businesses won't need to get involved.

I admit I'm not sure on all the rules concerning minor league teams moving. Even if it's not in the rules about offering Wichita a chance to counter an offer I still see it as possibly the Riches trying to be nice and at least give the city which they have had ties with for a while now a chance. I guess I can how the situation is a bit awkward for the Riches. I have gotten the impression they do like the city and such. But obviously attendance has to be a concern for them. That and then you have NWA interested and it would seem to me a hard opportunity to overlook because of all the potential this area has. A fast growing area that at the moment is underserved by non college sports. I can't say whether it really does make a difference but it just seems to me having some of the major companies located here could also offer some opportunities for the team. Now all of that doesn't mean the team is definately coming to NWA. But I'd still say overall I like Springdale's chances better than Wichita's.

There are no league rules concerning these sorts of matters. However, we all know that the lease agreement at Lawrence-Denny that the Riches sign expired in 1009 and one of the conditions of breaking the lease is that the city has the option to purchase the team at fair market value. Multiple articles are listing the market value of the team as $10 million.

I think the ticket quota situation is very unusual for the minors but if Springdale is offering it it is a huge incentive for the Riches to move. I also think Springdale is right to be cocky regarding attendance. I wouldn't be concerned about guaranteeing 3000 attendance for 5 years, numbers that would far surpass current numbers in Wichita.

I think the ticket quota situation is very unusual for the minors but if Springdale is offering it it is a huge incentive for the Riches to move. I also think Springdale is right to be cocky regarding attendance. I wouldn't be concerned about guaranteeing 3000 attendance for 5 years, numbers that would far surpass current numbers in Wichita.

As of today there hasn't been any news that Springdale has even made an offer yet to the Riches. I read some news about a week ago that had the Riches quoted as saying Springdale has not made them an offer yet. Wichita isn't as concerned about the attendance quota because their aim is to buy the team outright, then they wouldn't have a quota.

Springdale is a well-dressed customer, but they just want to rent the team whereas Wichita may be wearing jeans and a tee shirt but they have the will and the means to buy the team and if forced to they will take the team without the Riches permission. I know which customer I would decide on, but the decision is up to the Riches.

As of today there hasn't been any news that Springdale has even made an offer yet to the Riches. I read some news about a week ago that had the Riches quoted as saying Springdale has not made them an offer yet. Wichita isn't as concerned about the attendance quota because their aim is to buy the team outright, then they wouldn't have a quota.

Springdale is a well-dressed customer, but they just want to rent the team whereas Wichita may be wearing jeans and a tee shirt but they have the will and the means to buy the team and if forced to they will take the team without the Riches permission. I know which customer I would decide on, but the decision is up to the Riches.

Indeed.

Yet this morning, Wichita leaders are saying they are the home team, in the bottom of the ninth (ostensibly with something like a 3-2 count) and they're waiting to take a special swing at that last pitch.

In other words, they still seem to have as many questions as NWA. And it seems like they're a wealthy Kansan in jeans and a tee shirt who still hasn't decided if he wants to buy the team just yet.

Indeed.

Yet this morning, Wichita leaders are saying they are the home team, in the bottom of the ninth (ostensibly with something like a 3-2 count) and they're waiting to take a special swing at that last pitch.

In other words, they still seem to have as many questions as NWA. And it seems like they're a wealthy Kansan in jeans and a tee shirt who still hasn't decided if he wants to buy the team just yet.

I could have sworn in early discussions with the city council of Wichita they declared they were not going to buy the team. They said they were renovating the stadium for some team even if the Wranglers were not going to be there.

I remember they were looking for some corporate entity to buy out the team, not themselves.

I could have sworn in early discussions with the city council of Wichita they declared they were not going to buy the team. They said they were renovating the stadium for some team even if the Wranglers were not going to be there.

I remember they were looking for some corporate entity to buy out the team, not themselves.

Yea, several articles in the Kansas papers have quoted city councilmen as saying that they had no interest in buying the team unless a separate entity formed that would sign a contract to immediately buy the team from them.

http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/news/15018389.htm

There was another, but I can't find it in my history...

And here is one where a local sports guy makes his opinion known...he says he just doesn't see the city doing much of anything to buy the Wranglers.

http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/sports/co...tz/15026537.htm

Yea, several articles in the Kansas papers have quoted city councilmen as saying that they had no interest in buying the team unless a separate entity formed that would sign a contract to immediately buy the team from them.

And here is one where a local sports guy makes his opinion known...he says he just doesn't see the city doing much of anything to buy the Wranglers.

I hope noone misunderstood that I said Wichita was GOING to buy the Wranglers, just that Wichita CAN buy the team to keep it from going to Springdale. It's their wildcard. Whether they use it is totally up to the city of Wichita. Unless of course Springdale is willing to wait until 2009 to try and get the Wranglers to move without breaking their contract. Although that would give Wichita plenty of time to improve attendance and renovate their stadium.

Last night on THV 10 PM edition (the LR CBS news affiliate), Craig Oneill said that the Traves lost to Springdale, and even had the score printed on the screen with the names Springdale vs. Little Rock.

Needless to say, it confused the hell out of me. I thought maybe it was a done deal with the Wranglers and that the Arkansas news affiliates were already calling the team springdale

I checked the travs website. Apparently they meant to say and type Springfield.

Last night on THV 10 PM edition (the LR CBS news affiliate), Craig Oneill said that the Traves lost to Springdale, and even had the score printed on the screen with the names Springdale vs. Little Rock.

Needless to say, it confused the hell out of me. I thought maybe it was a done deal with the Wranglers and that the Arkansas news affiliates were already calling the team springdale

I checked the travs website. Apparently they meant to say and type Springfield.

Looks like even people down there can't wait for a team in Springdale. :lol:

Looks like the talks have already begun. The DemGaz has enacted a Freedom of Information Act to obtain the memorandum which Springdale gave to the Riches. Looks like Webb will be releasing that today. Though he didn't sound to happy about it.

If this all stays public this will be an exciting news event.

Springdale : Consultant leads ball team negotiations

Looks like the talks have already begun. The DemGaz has enacted a Freedom of Information Act to obtain the memorandum which Springdale gave to the Riches. Looks like Webb will be releasing that today. Though he didn't sound to happy about it.

If this all stays public this will be an exciting news event.

Springdale : Consultant leads ball team negotiations

Yeah I read about that in the paper today. He said he felt that it would put Springdale at a disadvantage because then Wichita would see Springdale's 'cards' and see the position the city was in.

I do think there's a good chance the team will end up in Springdale. But I would also say I wouldn't want to get too overconfident on the matter either. Seeing how the Riches still haven't really made any comments at all makes me feel that Wichita does still have a shot at keeping them.

I do think there's a good chance the team will end up in Springdale. But I would also say I wouldn't want to get too overconfident on the matter either. Seeing how the Riches still haven't really made any comments at all makes me feel that Wichita does still have a shot at keeping them.

I give up on the whole stadium idea. I'm not really a baseball fan anyway so I'll just bide my time and wait for the new Sports & Entertainment Arena to be built in Bentonville. There will be so many events happening there I really wouldn't have time for baseball anyway.

Today's Northwest Arkansas Times story on this subject reminds me of a line from an old Alice Cooper song: "The Ballad of Dwight Fry":

"...see my only mind explode, BLOW UP IN MY FACE!" (SFX: explosion)

...which is what I was worried was going to happen with this deal way back before the vote when Springdale leaders started naming names.

Yet, even as this Wichita billionaire says the city will exercise its option to purchase the team then sell it to a local owner (while negotiations between the Wranglers (who've NEVER sounded negative against Springdale and whose (manager?) said this week his team would do something like "start high while the city (of Springdale) would go low and we'll meet somewhere in the middle" (doesn't sound promising at all, does it?)) and the city of Springdale have kept proceeding)...

...he ALSO says that Wichita could still lose their team to Springdale.

:wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko:

Today's Northwest Arkansas Times story on this subject reminds me of a line from an old Alice Cooper song: "The Ballad of Dwight Fry":

...which is what I was worried was going to happen with this deal way back before the vote when Springdale leaders started naming names.

Yet, even as this Wichita billionaire says the city will exercise its option to purchase the team then sell it to a local owner (while negotiations between the Wranglers (who've NEVER sounded negative against Springdale and whose (manager?) said this week his team would do something like "start high while the city (of Springdale) would go low and we'll meet somewhere in the middle" (doesn't sound promising at all, does it?)) and the city of Springdale have kept proceeding)...

:shok::shok:

GOOD FRIGGIN' GRIEF!

Now the "other" paper is saying that an announcement for a team for Springdale could come "at any minute".

(I LOVE being in a two-newspaper market.)

This is not only going to get wacky, but a little bit fun. (Though some city is going to lose on this one and I hat to see that...I lived in Wichita for a year as a young'un, made some friends there and have nothing against the city).

:wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko:

What do you expect Mr. Fry to say? He probably had one too many bugs for dinner that day. I wonder if the vote came back up today would it pass?

What do you expect Mr. Fry to say? He probably had one too many bugs for dinner that day. I wonder if the vote came back up today would it pass?

Kirby, I never thought I'd laugh about a Hollywood stuntman going insane and being permanently (?) institutionalized (he had a wife and son, you know), but...your post made me laugh today.

Kirby, I never thought I'd laugh about a Hollywood stuntman going insane and being permanently (?) institutionalized (he had a wife and son, you know), but...your post made me laugh today.

This thread just keeps getting "wackier" today.

Today's Wichita paper has a story in the news section about Mr. Ruffin, the billionaire mentioned in the Northwest Arkansas Times article. He sounds like he's been getting his financial advice on buying a baseball team from this forum. :rofl:

(I guess that's why the paper buried this 7/28/06 story in its "news" section below the headline about a man accused of doing a very bad thing to a rooster.)

Will the real Dwight Frye please stand up. "I died of a heart attack. I was a real actor typecast by Hollywood. Alice Cooper was a hack who distorted my image. I was not an institutionalized stuntman," regards Dwight Frye. aka Renfield.

The story of Mr. Frye and the Springdale ballpark are alike in some ways. There is a story and then there is another story. Will the real Springdale team please stand up if there is one.

Archived