NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

41 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

http://www.charlottefive.com/noda-street-market-project-set-to-start-july/
Wouldn't be at all surprised to see the area between Craighead and Sugar Creek develop into an area very similar to LoSo, with light industrial buildings getting new life as 2016 uses.

Except a WAY better street network. More sensical, less spider webby.

And, in general, just way better cohesive connection to NoDa's "downtown" and SFH residential area.

Honestly, I cannot quantify all the ways that the N Davidson corridor is simply intrinsically superior to South End in every conceivable way. Whether in bones, or soul. I know it's not a competition, but since they will soon be North/South corollaries to one another, it bears saying.

Of course, IMO...

Edited by SgtCampsalot

9 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

And, in general, just way better cohesive connection to NoDa's "downtown" and SFH residential area.

Honestly, I cannot quantify all the ways that the N Davidson corridor is simply intrinsically superior to South End in every conceivable way. Whether in bones, or soul. I know it's not a competition, but since they will soon be North/South corollaries to one another, it bears saying.

Of course, IMO...

There is one negative thing they both have in common though. Being cut off by a train track. Both are very cut off main roads. N. Tryon and South Blvd respectively.

And since we're in the topic of flaws, how does the Railroad company get exemption from ADA compliance at their spur tracks intersection next to the dog bar and Salud? Also, when is Smelly Cat going to get their act together and stop burning their beans in their roaster? You can smell it from that rail spur near Salud; the odor flows generously through Mercury's air tunnel! For crimeny's sake!

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Of course, IMO...

NoDa 2020 will be THE spot.  Southend will all but be forgotten as the hip spot to live, work and play.  Better in every way.

2 minutes ago, southslider said:

Cool area. Huge potential. Just still lacking a grocery store.

Heres hoping Crescent is able to secure one! Imagine if Two projects on the Blue Line were anchored by grocery stores.

4 minutes ago, Piedmont767 said:

I'm hoping for something along the lines of Trader Joe's. 

ditto. I think honestly thats one of the only stores that would work for the size they are proposing.

The Food Léon on the Plaza right at the edge of NoDa is close to finishing up a significant renovation. Like the neighborhood, it's selection has very much gentrified. The store doesn't seem dumpy inside anymore either. Hopefully it will somewhat dampen the frequent complaint about NoDa lacking a grocery, even though most of NoDa is within easy walking distance of a full grocery store right there. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

The Food Léon on the Plaza right at the edge of NoDa is close to finishing up a significant renovation. Like the neighborhood, it's selection has very much gentrified. The store doesn't seem dumpy inside anymore either. Hopefully it will somewhat dampen the frequent complaint about NoDa lacking a grocery, even though most of NoDa is within easy walking distance of a full grocery store right there. 

That was a very P.C. sentiment.  The renovation will help, but I don't think the neighborhood will completely accept the food lion until the zone between NoDa and P.M. gentrifies, thereby taking the majority of Food Lions patrons with it.  Not saying it's right or not unfortunate, just being a little less P.C. I guess.  Besides, all the hip young DINKS in NoDa won't be happy unless they get their Trader Joes or Publix or Whole Foods.

5 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Frankly I'd be disappointed if any new grocery option wasn't a co-op, or something similarly small scale.

Of course, I've been hearing rumblings about one coming for YEARS, but I guess it never had legs.

Co-Op won't be able to afford a Crescent created retail space.

9 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Co-Op won't be able to afford a Crescent created retail space.

I don't think the Crescent location is a great location for a large grocer, right in the center. It'd be the only non-locally owned business in the entire neighborhood. Though I suppose that's a philosophical debate (given that not all of the downtown buildings are locally owned, etc...).

Edited by SgtCampsalot

2 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

I don't think the Crescent location is a great location for a large grocer, right in thr center. Though I suppose that's a philosophical debate...

There is a 20k+ sq foot annex that will front 36th Street. I think 36th is the perfect place for a grocery store. Especially as NoDa expands into the floodplain.

3 hours ago, tozmervo said:

Either this renovation is extremely recent or I have done a much better job avoiding that Food Lion for several weeks.

10 minutes ago, Desert Power said:

Either this renovation is extremely recent or I have done a much better job avoiding that Food Lion for several weeks.

I think it started maybe early March? I'm in there every few days so it feels like it's been going on forever. Last time I was in the deli/bakery wasn't quite done and they still hadn't finished replacing the flooring. 

5 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

I don't think the Crescent location is a great location for a large grocer, right in the center. It'd be the only non-locally owned business in the entire neighborhood. Though I suppose that's a philosophical debate (given that not all of the downtown buildings are locally owned, etc...).

Agreed. Davidson & Matheson (Jordan Place) and Davidson and Parkwood are much better suited for a grocer given the connectivity.

Yes, but I more meant that NoDa always seemed like the perfect paradigm-shattering community to finally not need a corporate owned grocer. It was founded on local businesses, and could in theory be sustained by local businesses. But I guess with the putting in a brand new LRT line in, combined with out current inertia with how we do development makes that unreasonably utopian.

More important to shift the paradigm away from having a car-focused grocer.  Having one at Cresent will do that and be sustainable with the light rail coming.  Both Jordan and Parkwood would be dependent on car traffic for the foreseeable future.

Publix also has some smaller stores designs about the size of TJ's that could make sense.