NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

15 hours ago, HopHead said:

^Would love to see the rest of this site plan... If nothing else, they had me at brewery with a brick facade near the 36th street light rail stop.

Rezoning page.

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/planning/Rezoning/RezoningPetitions/2016Petitions/Pages/2016-086.aspx

Already been approved to TOD-O which means it's plan specific so is locked in to what you see on the approved site plan.

8 minutes ago, UrbanGossip said:

Rezoning page.

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/planning/Rezoning/RezoningPetitions/2016Petitions/Pages/2016-086.aspx

Already been approved to TOD-O which means it's plan specific so is locked in to what you see on the approved site plan.

God I hope they keep that private road (that opens up onto 36th St) publicly accessible. Right now The Yards has their portion gated off.

On 7/15/2016 at 11:05 AM, SgtCampsalot said:

Something is happening at Solstice today. Looks like they're changing the original paint? I'm holding out for 2nd floor residential, though it'll probably never happen.

20160715_082555.jpg

Per nextdoor, they're getting a fancy new paint job for their tenth anniversary. Design was not disclosed, we'll have to wait and see!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Desert Power said:

What is the story on the auto-store between Solstice and old Salvador Deli?  A bunch of junky cars that are dangerous to pedestrians.

McCullough Auto? Latest is same as ever: it's a family business. G.W. is the mechanic with his son and assistant(?). Been there for a long time. It's super tight, yeah, but it is what it is. At the very least, that block is already one of the most acceptable places in the city for forcing people off the sidewalk sometimes when walking; very good ped/ car dynamic.

I don't like the cars, but it reminds me of what the businesses in the neighor hood used to be like. They've been there through the good times and the bad.

Edited by SgtCampsalot

^^^ive been wondering the same thing.  It looks like they got to about 75% completion and walked off the job. My guess would be one of a couple things:

The stoppage coincided with some bad weather and they were doing some work by the creek.  They might be waiting on additional materials to be delivered to replace material washed away.  

It could also be related to the length of the trail. It might be similar to the light rail where one trade will work on several sections and then there is a significant delay until the next trade arrives, because they are working on multiple segments at once.

Edited by archiham04

• 2 weeks later...

Red alert: You've all got to see this. 

Rezoning Petition 2016-111. They presented at the last NoDa meeting with elevations, etc (maybe someone here went and got photos?). It's the lot right between Philemon, and the rail tracks, before Craighead. Questionable architecture that it seems to be aside, look at this. LOOK AT IT:

Philemon Development.png

That's parking lots between the entire development and the tracks, and oh so much green space. I actually applaud them for trying to not use a parking deck (they said they'd be at a lower price point than other places), but you need to wrap those parking lots with the buildings, not shove them to one side.

When I asked, they said the railroad hasn't shown any issue with having a pedestrian path parallel to the tracks. That's a HUGE missed opportunity if they don't create a defacto rail trail segment there.

This whole area has the potential to be a truly urban neighborhood, better than lower south end, but not if things like this are built. Or maybe I'm wrong. What do you all think?

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tarhoosier said:

I think I typed this somewhere on this site a few years ago:  If my parents were alive today (DOB 1905, 1909) and I told them good people would pay to live beside the rail line, they would not believe me. Absolutely NOT believe me. Only the poorest lived by rails. The smoke and cinders would choke you and occasionally your place would burn down. The vibration would rattle you out of bed. The noise was earsplitting. And everyone looked down on you. You can live on the other side of the tracks, but never admit you live beside the tracks.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la grande différence

Ditto, I appreciate being reminded of this kind of historical perspective. It keeps one grounded.

Also, can anyone throw some solidarity my way about these parking lots? They're really bugging me :tw_bawling:

11 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Also, can anyone throw some solidarity my way about these parking lots? They're really bugging me :tw_bawling:

I do see your point, that sort of setup always bugs me in good TOD sites. However, keep in mind this is a tough parcel to work with -- across from the scrap and cement yards (lots of trucks plus trains), has serious environmental issues (which is why the previous potential buyer walked) and questionable access to the rest of NoDa with the closing of Craighead. I don't like the plan, but if any parcel should get a pass it might be this one.

16 hours ago, kermit said:

I do see your point, that sort of setup always bugs me in good TOD sites. However, keep in mind this is a tough parcel to work with -- across from the scrap and cement yards (lots of trucks plus trains), has serious environmental issues (which is why the previous potential buyer walked) and questionable access to the rest of NoDa with the closing of Craighead. I don't like the plan, but if any parcel should get a pass it might be this one.

That's a good point. Is that why Crescent walked? These new guys did say the soil is pretty bad for building in certain spots. Though I'm not sure if they meant contaminated, or loose/weak soil.

Is a multi use path not possible if the soil is bad? Because I think beyond all else, connecting the Craighead stub to the western edge of the property with a path is crucial in preparation for the future. 

1 hour ago, southslider said:

The existing Blue Line doesn't have a sidepath/trail, where adjacent to freight rail.  This site is next to the NCRR just before the BLE flips from the NoDa to the Tryon side of the freight tracks at Craighead.

Yeah you're right, I know. I guess is it unreasonable to want ped paths everywhere possible, even knowing Philemon may one day be extended? I see so many blocks that miss out on very easy, fine-grained connections.

Edited by SgtCampsalot

30 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

I still don't understand why they are closing Craighead over the tracks. I am sure NCRR loves it, but it's going to completely kill connectivity there, pretty much isolating NoDa to that side of the tracks. 

I think because, since they're doing the 36th and Sugar Creek grade separation as well, it would on a certain level make it pointless not to close Craighead, since this way there will be no need to blow the horn at all after 16th St. Many will much appreciate that.

• 4 weeks later...