NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

The wild thing about all of NoDa's boom developments, is that every project before 2008 was stellar: the building housing NoDa 101/Dolce Vita, the building housing Life Support/Vivian B, even Fat City Lofts, are all incredible examples of small scale, contextual development (28th Ro is meh...). But since then, nothing like those.

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

The wild thing about all of NoDa's boom developments, is that every project before 2008 was stellar: the building housing NoDa 101/Dolce Vita, the building housing Life Support/Vivian B, even Fat City Lofts, are all incredible examples of small scale, contextual development (28th Ro is meh...). But since then, nothing like those.

Couldn't agree more! Crescent NoDa seems like it would fit in more in Uptown, I'm thinking Stonewall. 

2 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Out of curiosity. Can everyone provide examples of designs they would like to see in Noda instead of this? Personally I like these.

Fat City Lofts feels like a perfect example of a still-large project without getting too big for its britches, even if those brick facades weren't there.

Just now, SgtCampsalot said:

Fat City Lofts feels like a perfect example of a still-large project without getting too big for its britches, even if those brick facades weren't there.

Fat City Lofts only has 30 units though. 

I think those look great.  Material looks good, street level looks good, scale of the development is more in line with NODA.  I was thinking of some of the infill developments i've seen in Portland and Seattle would fit in well, maybe on a smaller scale, no more than 100 units per development.  

I think that's one of the biggest problems we have with some of these developments.  These developers are trying to cram in as many units as possible, when they do this these developments become way out of scale for their surrounding neighborhoods.  Something more in line with the Nook, in scale anyway, is what i would like to see in NODA. 

Maybe I'm confusing it with another one, but I thought this was supposed to have a fair amount of retail? 7,500 square feet is nothing. To me, this is basically Circle SouthEnd. I'm sure the street will get better treatment with this project than South Blvd did, but otherwise, it seems pretty similar.

Edited by Niner National

23 minutes ago, Niner National said:

Maybe I'm confusing it with another one, but I thought this was supposed to have a fair amount of retail? 7,500 square feet is nothing. To me, this is basically Circle SouthEnd. I'm sure the street will get better treatment with this project than South Blvd did, but otherwise, it seems pretty similar.

The interior phase is 7,500 Sq feet. The phase that will front 36th Street, is said to have up to 28k Sq feet of retail.

13 minutes ago, jtmonk said:

Well they are marketing an adjacent parcel for a planned commercial development that could rise 80 feet and feature up to 28K of retail.  I believe that's where they are wanting to include the hotel correct?

correct.

It mostly is a moot point to lament the scale of these projects and wish for smaller developments.  With the exception of a few like The Nook, developing rental housing in primary markets just won't allow it until acreage becomes more and more scarce.  At that point you will get smaller developments, but the rents are there to support it; ala all the examples we all love in Portland, Denver, Seattle, NYC...  Probably none of us on here would be able to come close to affording to live in them though.

That's why you have to care about the architecture because it is the architecture that helps to break down the scale of these large super block developments that we will see in Charlotte for decades to come.

Edited by UrbanGossip
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, UrbanGossip said:

It mostly is a moot point to lament the scale of these projects and wish for smaller developments.  With the exception of a few like The Nook, developing rental housing in primary markets just won't allow it until acreage becomes more and more scarce.  At that point you will get smaller developments, but the rents are there to support it; ala all the examples we all love in Portland, Denver, Seattle, NYC...  Probably none of us on here would be able to come close to affording to live in them though.

That's why you have to care about the architecture because it is the architecture that helps to break down the scale of these large super block developments that we will see in Charlotte for decades to come.

True. I'd like to see policy changes made to benefit small-business developers. The zoning/rezoning process is a large piece in a large puzzle that needs to be reformed.

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 1

On 1/11/2016 at 10:42 AM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

While the materials look pretty great and high quality. The overall design is very corporate and monotonous. I wish they could have some sort of feature to break up the horizontal lines. Granted the corrugated metal is vertical in nature, the overwhelming aesthetic seems to be horizontal. I also wish they broke up the roofline and gave it some varying elevations. It just looks like a big box. The streetscape is kind of nice. Its all very corporate looking however. While the Transit Plaza is nice... It offers no legitimate shelter from the elements. Its nice... but doesn't really serve a single purpose. 

I agree that the building itself isn't anything to get excited about. However, I think the plaza that connects to the LRT station has some potential to be interesting.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Piedmont767 said:

Umm, no it doesn't, NoDa is mainly restaurants or coffee.

I would argue that unless you want breakfast meat at Brooks Burgers or Smelly Cat, or a sit down meal after 11am, there aren't any options. I know that may sound nit picky, but being on foot in downtown NoDa in the AM is rough if you don't want grease in your food, and tough in the afternoon if you're in a rush

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

I would argue that unless you want breakfast meat at Brooks Burgers or Smelly Cat, or a sit down meal after 11am, there aren't any options. I know that may sound nit picky, but being on foot in downtown NoDa in the AM is rough if you don't want grease in your food, and tough in the afternoon if you're in a rush

Just putting in a plug for Fud at Salud because DAMN do they make a good sammich. Won't help your morning dilemma, however. 

7 hours ago, Piedmont767 said:

Umm, no it doesn't, NoDa is mainly restaurants or coffee.

It's a lot of bar food. Not many solid dining options honestly. Maybe Davidson Street Public House is, I haven't been yet, but I almost never eat in NoDa.

Look at Plaza Midwood in comparison. You have Zada Janes, Peculiar Rabbit, Bistro La Bon, Yama Izakaya, Fern, Intermezzo, Akahana, and Soul. On the lower end, you have The Diamond, Whiskey Warehouse, Pint Central, and Thomas Street Tavern.

In NoDa, you basically have Heist and Cabo. There aren't any other places in that neighborhood that draw people from all over the city to dine there, and I'm not even sure Heist really does that except for during brunch.

NoDa's overall dining scene is very poor.

• Like 1

As a NoDa resident, I concur. Unless you want bar-ish food, you're frequently heading to P-M. Beaudreauxs and Cabo are certainly standouts*, but on the whole the NoDa businesses are very much entertainment/hang-out oriented, not food oriented. 

*I used to consider Revo a standout, but they just haven't been the same since they changed management.

• Like 1

IMO: PM functions better as a self-sufficient village than NoDa (library, post office, variety, etc), but NoDa feels more like a self-sufficient village than PM (more intimate streets, etc). Both are successfully navigating themselves to meet each other in the middle on those points nowadays. 

Edited by SgtCampsalot

I don't eat regularly in NoDa because all the restaurants feel very 'touristy' -- not in the out of town sense, but more the visitors from Old Providence way. Seems like there is always a wait, the staff (and table) turnover is fast and nothing is relaxing. Even Amalies fell victim to this operating strategy. I appreciate the more neighborhoody and lower key vibe of PM and Dilworth. I certainly could be wrong since I have not even tried to eat in NoDa (other than Brooks) in over a year. I hope it matures since I will pass by every day on the BLE and will be looking to stop for a drink regularly. 

I'll try Fud soon.