NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

^^ There's no rezoning on the books for this site but it's B2 so might have the right anyway.  I see it up on CommercialSearch so I assume that they're just fishing at this point?  It's all different ownership names on the three parcels but that doesn't mean much - could be separate LLC's for each or a speculative assemblage under options.  Anyone know?

Also, wondering how the potential for a anchor grocer at the Crescent site would impact this site for the same use?  Seems to me that it would be one or the other, but there are others on here I'm sure who understand those dynamics better than I.

29 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2016/09/02/joint-venture-closes-on-purchase-of-noda-brewery.html

:( not as bad as most. Certainly a better step forward than everything in South End and PM. Still....sigh

That rezoning was a tough fight for the neighborhoods. As far as I know they ended up having 1-to-3k sq ft retail space (I forget exactly) facing N Davidson St, rather than resident amenities.

I still can't believe it's a project that keeps an existing structure on a block. It's like a coup.

I'm actually pretty intrigued by the rendering -  looks like a nice streetscape (exclusive of their inability to deal with terrain going up 26th St). What looks l like geometric angular metal panels on the elevations could also end up being a funky design element that sets it apart

Just now, tozmervo said:

I'm actually pretty intrigued by the rendering -  looks like a nice streetscape (exclusive of their inability to deal with terrain going up 26th St). What looks l like geometric angular metal panels on the elevations could also end up being a funky design element that sets it apart

I do really enjoy the blue part angular things. It is certainly miles above the garbage in PM

Rendering released... Urban Planet - "Gonna be great.  Looks better than project x/y/z in neighborhood a/b/c."  Construction begins... Urban Planet - "It's starting!!! Can't wait to see it.  It's going to change the neighborhood.  Gonna be great!" Construction advances... Urban Planet - "Wait a minute, those are wood studs.  Is this happening again?"  Tops out / form takes shape... Urban Planet - "I don't know about this.  Starting to look like every other stick built project in Charlotte".  Building skin goes on... Urban Planet - 

Image result for futurama memes

• Like 4

On 7/6/2016 at 0:47 PM, SgtCampsalot said:

Heck yes. Parking issues or not, this is one of the smartest infill projects around. It's a relatively large amount of unused land sitting between the sidewalk and the parking lots of the Mill, in the central CBD of NoDa. I'm really excited for these.

On a side note, I'm grateful that the Brooks family has no intention of selling their land anytime soon, right acroas the street from some of these townhomes. Keepin' things gritty.

1) I don't care for the architectural style, but the basic urban design looks good for these townhomes.

2) Wait until Brooks get's their $12m payout and then we'll get a nice modern office building instead of a locally grown retail operation.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Spartan said:

1) I don't care for the architectural style, but the basic urban design looks good for these townhomes.

2) Wait until Brooks get's their $12m payout and then we'll get a nice modern office building instead of a locally grown retail operation.

I hope Brooks stays for a long time, but a retail operation? I think that may be overstating them a bit. They're a hamburger shack. A delicious, cheap, amazing hamburger shack.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Neighborhood Theater sold. Before you freak out, it was sold to the dude behind the Foundry and the entire building is being saved (and must be saved according to the terms).

http://www.trinity-partners.com/news/neighborhood-theatre-sale/

As I've said before I just hope they get a better booking company. NT could be hosting triple the shows that they are, and there's a huge void in mid-level national act booking in Charlotte now with the loss of other venues that NT could EASILY capitalize on. I'm not sure why it hasn't happened already. 

29 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Shoot... that was the best venue for experimental small troupe theatre. And he paid his performers! That's a huge loss.

Let me retract that, it's still open. I was confused about a post I saw on FB a few weeks ago.

(five minutes later)

Uhhhg ok, you'd think this wouldn't be so confusing. Upstage IS closing, it has not closed yet. October 8 is it's last show, with, appropriately, a Disney-theme burlesque show.

Edited by tozmervo
i quit the internet
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

Had this article been posted an hour earlier, I would have interneted better. http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/whats-in-store/article102880782.html

Fabulous.

Y'know, outside of the full-on music venues and non-profit theaters, Upstage was in its own league. Like I said they were a for-profit business that actually paid their actors, which is why if anyone ever got a chance to see a show there, it was always able to pull in our small companies to do experimental work and be able to test out work that they would go on to perform on larger scales, like at Spirit Square. Whether they were plays, stand-up comedy, poetry slam nights, or just bare-bones script performances, there's nothing like it in Charlotte right now.

Where else are we going to have stage reading/drinking games of "Heathers/ Princess Bride/ Breakfast Club"?

I guess the onus is on us to create places worth our affection in the future...

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 1

The property owners of Smelly Cat plan to sell to developers in 4 or 5 years when Smelly Cat and Revolution's leases are up.

And from what I learned, the Company Store does not own their land either.

So this means we have four five years to do what we couldn't for South End's Common Market site. Can you imagine standing at the corner of 36th St and N Davidson St without the grandeur of the Revolution house and its peoples' plaza? I can, and I don't like it.

I know how this city, and reality, works, but we can do our best to organize to prevent it from occurring. Who knows.

• Like 1