NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

1 hour ago, P Edward said:

Wow - is all this Flywheel group stuff real/legit, or someone's grand imagination?

The guy that runs it is a heavy hitter. He's the acting director of Vision Ventures. He's pulling the strings on the Eller project that was announced today. Resume is impressive on paper, thought up most of the plans for NorthEnd, Camp Greene, put together the plan for Queens Park. No shovels in the ground, a lot of plans. We will see.

A lot of these places are flood plain, that's not addressed in their plans, so who knows.

Edited by Guest

37 minutes ago, Prodev said:

All of this land has recently been marketed for sale by HFF, so these plans may look pretty, but are far from reality.

Agreed. I think they are more of a fantasy factory than a development firm

It's pie in the sky.  Something will eventually happen with this land in some form - especially between 36th and Craighead - but it will be a while.  The current owner(s) are just looking to sell the land with this type of "vision" imagery.

I don't mean to be disparaging because pie in the sky is what this area needs and deserves, it just takes time for all the low hanging fruit/easy sites to get used up before these types of sites start to look attractive.  You've got flood plain issues along Benard and Cullman, the land on the other side of the Amtrak spur at the end of Cullman labeled "The Exchange" is landlocked without a new connection to N. Tryon (not very attractive entry) because there is no rail crossing and probably never will be with CSX involved, and the Herrin Coal and Ice property will be a disaster zone in terms of contamination clean up.

Even with the contamination, Herrin Coal and Ice is probably the most attractive because it's downside risks can at least be quantified.  I don't know this for sure, just guessing, but I guess that it was the clean up costs that killed Crescents plan for it.  If anyone can speak to that we would love to hear it?

1 hour ago, UrbanGossip said:

It's pie in the sky.  Something will eventually happen with this land in some form - especially between 36th and Craighead - but it will be a while.  The current owner(s) are just looking to sell the land with this type of "vision" imagery.

I don't mean to be disparaging because pie in the sky is what this area needs and deserves, it just takes time for all the low hanging fruit/easy sites to get used up before these types of sites start to look attractive.  You've got flood plain issues along Benard and Cullman, the land on the other side of the Amtrak spur at the end of Cullman labeled "The Exchange" is landlocked without a new connection to N. Tryon (not very attractive entry) because there is no rail crossing and probably never will be with CSX involved, and the Herrin Coal and Ice property will be a disaster zone in terms of contamination clean up.

Even with the contamination, Herrin Coal and Ice is probably the most attractive because it's downside risks can at least be quantified.  I don't know this for sure, just guessing, but I guess that it was the clean up costs that killed Crescents plan for it.  If anyone can speak to that we would love to hear it?

A friend of mine was going to be leading the development of the Craighead land for Crescent. There was going to be a great village type concept with a mix of uses, single family, townhouses, retail, mid rises, land was going to be relatively cheap, but there was going to millions of dollars in soil reclamation, and connectivity issues so the plan died. 

1 hour ago, michaelef said:

I live a block away from the Mecury Noda, and I am not exaggerating when I say, the fire alarm goes off daily. Usually multiple times during the day, I'm concerned with the quality of this building. It also has taken a really long time to build. 

If the building is under construction, it could be construction dust setting it off. If there are a lot of people moving it keeping the doors open for long periods of time, it can also be pollen.

I usually have my smoke detectors go off in the spring time after I've had my windows open for a few weeks because the pollen gets inside the house and enough accumulates on the smoke detectors that it sets them off. I've also had it go off after sanding some spackle on the wall next to a fire alarm. It's a good way to make yourself almost fall off a ladder.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Niner National said:

If the building is under construction, it could be construction dust setting it off. If there are a lot of people moving it keeping the doors open for long periods of time, it can also be pollen.

I usually have my smoke detectors go off in the spring time after I've had my windows open for a few weeks because the pollen gets inside the house and enough accumulates on the smoke detectors that it sets them off. I've also had it go off after sanding some spackle on the wall next to a fire alarm. It's a good way to make yourself almost fall off a ladder.

That makes sense. I knew it wasn't actual fires but to hear it go off several times a day for 10 to 20 minutes had me wondering. 

44 minutes ago, UPNoDa said:

One on 36th & Holt. (not CRAZY about this design) 

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/plann...

I like them, they have a classic Euro/American design. We don't see those much in Charlotte.

But, argh, they're tearing down these older apartments to do it. What is this fetish with buying existing housing to build new housing? 

13 minutes ago, Piedmont767 said:

NoDa is most likely going to end up like South End with developers buying up all the little shops and things that make the area cool and interesting, then demolishing it all and putting a f*****g huge Charlotte-beige apartment block.

The outskirts of 36th/N Davidson will be a fair amount of tear-downs, but NoDa seems to have a relatively secure small business ownership in the downtown core. At least they're not going anywhere. I'm hoping that NoDa's development is slower paced than South End's, less barrage-like.

8 hours ago, Jayvee said:

Also, Salvador Deli is getting an impressive make over. 3000 SF of patio space and a rooftop deck

salvador deli upfit.png

So it will still be operated as Salvador Deli? Who owns it now? I've seen a lot of Charlotte institutions die in my relatively short time here, so for one of my favorites to come back from the dead for a change would be amazing. I especially miss the concerts in the parking lot there. 

On 4/9/2016 at 3:04 PM, tarhoosier said:

Re: Dali renovation; is that just one stairway to roof? Is that legal, one stair access?

No.  Needs 2 stairs and an elevator.

From an Urban planet perspective, I honestly can't believe that the building(s) that house Salvador and the autoshop next to it haven't sold to be torn down and redeveloped to 3 stories, shops and residence/office above.  I might get shouted down, but they are dumps and ripe for it.  I loved Salvador Deli too and all the things that Stu did for the neighborhood, but when he died and it sat vacant for so long I thought for sure it was all a goner.

18 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

That can't be right....there must be a total Sq ft threshold that requires that level of egress.

JJ Red Hots has just single set of stairs to its roof-deck, which is probably 500 sq ft in size.

You're right.  50 occupants in assembly for second means of egress.  A-2 restaurant you would hit that at 750 sf.

Edited by UrbanGossip

• 3 weeks later...