NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/26463/breaking-crescents-takeover-of-charlottes-transformation-continues-in-noda/

Yay! More apartments and destruction of popular spots in Charlotte has been approved! The sterilization of CLT neighborhoods continues! <_< The only good thing about this project is that is will bring a grocery store to NoDa.

Edited by Piedmont767

1 minute ago, Piedmont767 said:

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/26463/breaking-crescents-takeover-of-charlottes-transformation-continues-in-noda/

Yay! More apartments and destruction of popular spots in Charlotte has been approved! The sterilization of CLT neighborhoods continues! <_< The only good thing about this project is that is will bring a grocery store to NoDa.

And they are still targeting a small hotel on top of the grocer. 

This project has MUCH more value than the chop shop. Chop Shop will find a new crappy warehouse somewhere to open. You can't have old abandoned warehouses anchoring a major light rail stop. I'm not a fan of the overall design of the building itself but it's a good project. The phase 2 retail building will make it worthwhile. This is hardly CLT sterilization. 

Edited by Jayvee
  • Like 1

Just now, Piedmont767 said:

I thought there wasn't enough parking spots for a hotel, at least that's what th agenda article said. 

You don't need very many spots for a hotel. Embassy Suites has 2.5 rooms per parking spot. With the light rail right next door and the ability to uber ANYWHERE, for VERY CHEAP (I can't believe how cheap I can uber in charlotte for) you only need 30 or 40 spots for a 100 room boutique hotel.

4 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

You don't need very many spots for a hotel. Embassy Suites has 2.5 rooms per parking spot. With the light rail right next door and the ability to uber ANYWHERE, for VERY CHEAP (I can't believe how cheap I can uber in charlotte for) you only need 30 or 40 spots for a 100 room boutique hotel.

Very true. And if there is a hotel, I hope it's a unique boutique hotel that fits in with the character of NoDa. A Kimpton property would be great for NoDa, instead of a generic hotel brand. But it's probably unlikely. I wonder what grocery store Crescent is targeting, hopefully a Trader Joe's or Publix. :)

Edited by Piedmont767

Just now, Piedmont767 said:

Very true. And if there is a hotel, I hope it's a unique boutique hotel that fits in with the character of NoDa. A Kimpton property would be great for NoDa, instead of a generic hotel brand. But it's probably unlikely. I wonder what grocery store Crescent is targeting, hopefully a Trader Joe's or Publix. :)

They are targeting a Small Specialty Grocer. Trader Joes fits the bill and was rumored to be a part of the original Mercury NoDa project, so there may be interest. Especially since there is more people to shop there, and a train line coming.

3 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

They are targeting a Small Specialty Grocer. Trader Joes fits the bill and was rumored to be a part of the original Mercury NoDa project, so there may be interest. Especially since there is more people to shop there, and a train line coming.

Or perhaps we could have something like Original Unverpackt in Berlin. Which is a grocery store which uses no packaging or plastic bags.

http://original-unverpackt.de (Sorry its in German) 

I'll echo the article in that I am very disappointed that there is just blank wall fronting the rail trail. That seems like a big missed opportunity as this section of it could easily blossom like the BLE & Bland area has if they would only provide the spaces. The building is on the plain side aesthetically (for NoDa anyway)...the grocer and hotel are big wins for the area, but this is still a little underwhelming.

I passed by Mercury last night. I know its been answered at some point but are the 1st floor units facing 36th Live/Work spaces? They have aluminum doors on them that make them look much more like retail spaces than apartments. 

Edited by nonillogical

As I've said, I haven't been able to get a straight answer out of city staff: Is there going to be an actual rail trail at this part of the BLE? Someone told me the Little Sugar Creek Greenway will be the "de facto" rail trail.

Also, The Yards at NoDa has the main portion of their property gated, so 33rd St is effectively a private drive. This too is unacceptable.

9 minutes ago, nonillogical said:

I passed by Mercury last night. I know its been answered at some point but are the 1st floor units facing 36th Live/Work spaces? They have aluminum doors on them that make them look much more like retail spaces than apartments. 

I'm not sure if they're live/work, but they explicitly hope to eventually make them retail at some point. They weren't able to get the financing to make them retail right now, which the neighborhood had fought (passionately) for.

44 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

As I've said, I haven't been able to get a straight answer out of city staff: Is there going to be an actual rail trail at this part of the BLE? Someone told me the Little Sugar Creek Greenway will be the "de facto" rail trail.

Also, The Yards at NoDa has the main portion of their property gated, so 33rd St is effectively a private drive. This too is unacceptable.

I'm not sure if they're live/work, but they explicitly hope to eventually make them retail at some point. They weren't able to get the financing to make them retail right now, which the neighborhood had fought (passionately) for.

No, there will not be a rail trail next to the BLE. There is going to be a bike-ped path built by the BLE and Northeast Corridor Infrastructure Project (NECI) on 12th St and on Parkwood/Brevard to connect Uptown to NoDa. The LSCG/Cross Charlotte Trail will be part of that network and connect in the Villa Heights/25th St Station area.

Given that the trail won't be adjacent to the tracks, the fact that there aren't active ground floor uses on the parking deck doesn't give me any heartburn. If anything, it's the best place for a private parking deck. I hope that if it's available to the public that it's not free because eople will try to use it as a defacto park-n-ride.

Abari Game Bar (remember that?) posted on Monday a photo of construction with text saying "Drywall is up, bathrooms are getting finished, and our back door is getting knocked out of the wall right now.".  So I guess they're still a thing.  Didn't see it mentioned up-thread, but Joe's Doughs will have a store in the same building or next door or something.

18 minutes ago, grodney said:

Abari Game Bar (remember that?) posted on Monday a photo of construction with text saying "Drywall is up, bathrooms are getting finished, and our back door is getting knocked out of the wall right now.".  So I guess they're still a thing.  Didn't see it mentioned up-thread, but Joe's Doughs will have a store in the same building or next door or something.

Yeah they had some major permitting and funding issues, but they are back on track and looking to open early next year.

I have no idea how Joe's Doughs is going to share that space with Abari. The whole building has one tiny window in the front. They'll have to retrofit the hell out of it to install a second retail space.

I'm so pumped though. Video Games, beer, doughnuts and (maybe) coffee all at one cool old-building location in an area that currently has no food/bev options.

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, grodney said:

And just off the light rail!  If they stay in business that long.

Abari has the gimmick-factor for alcohol-evenings. Joe's Doughs will likely be a morning coffee spot, and is much beloved in the neighborhood (they serve them at the Daily Press, among other places) and the owners seem to understand the neighborhood (unlike Ozpresso last year) so surely they will be patronized. I know plenty of people in OP Belmont and VH that would like something closer than Amelies.

Edited by SgtCampsalot

15 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Abari has the gimmick-factor for alcohol-evenings. Joe's Doughs will likely be a morning coffee spot, and is much beloved in the neighborhood (they serve them at the Daily Press, among other places) and the owners seem to understand the neighborhood (unlike Ozpresso last year) so surely they will be patronized. I know plenty of people in OP Belmont and VH that would like something closer than Amelies.

I really liked Ozpresso, it's a shame it went. This is the type of development needed along the BLE, new restaurants and hopefully other developments. 

Edited by Piedmont767

Just now, Jayvee said:

I get confused on where NoDa actually starts sooo if this is Belmont or Optimist, feel free to move.

This sounds incredible:

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2015/11/real-estate-firms-planning-to-convert-mill-into.html

The food court idea is something that if well executed is going to be a game changer. 

1 minute ago, Jayvee said:

I get confused on where NoDa actually starts sooo if this is Belmont or Optimist, feel free to move.

This sounds incredible:

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2015/11/real-estate-firms-planning-to-convert-mill-into.html

I love it! This is what we need more of, not destroying historic buildings and replacing it with Charlotte Beige apartments. And what's even better it's not apartments! I would love to see this. 

Holy CRAP this news makes my heart melt. I've explored the grounds of that factory on foot so many times. It has several modern (see: boring) additions onto it, with the original brick being a nice painted white. This is the PERFECT location, too! It will help bridge the gap between the two sides of the track from N Tryon to Parkwood. And maybe they'll create a few more ped-bike connections!

Of course, it will be a bittersweet moment to say goodbye to The famous smokestack-with-a-tree-growing-out-of-it

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Holy CRAP this news makes my heart melt. I've explored the grounds of that factory on foot so many times. It has several modern (see: boring) additions onto it, with the original brick being a nice painted white. This is the PERFECT location, too! It will help bridge the gap between the two sides of the track from N Tryon to Parkwood. And maybe they'll create a few more ped-bike connections!

Of course, it will be a bittersweet moment to say goodbye to The famous smokestack-with-a-tree-growing-out-of-it

It looks like that smokestack is still intact in the renderings