NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

3 hours ago, Niner National said:

What is the other long neglected building next to this one going to be? It has had paper in the windows and a permit sign up for a while now. I thought I heard someone say it would be Three Amigos, but I have a hard time imagining them opening another location so close to the current one (unless they're moving?).

3 hours ago, Prodev said:

Permits are for Mango's Caribbean Restaurant. A quick google search shows that there are different concepts with this name in Atlanta and Huntsville, AL, but not sure if it's tied to either of those. 

The owner/head chef is Caribbean, he and his business partners met in NYC and moved to Charlotte.

There's no telling what's holding them up, considering they started with a literal shell; they had to tear out every bit of old wiring and piping and reinstall anew. When you combine that with how many permits it'd need, who knows where they are. But they've been hard at work for over a year. There's suspicion that the landowner was hoping they'd fail without ever opening, so he'd have a renovated space. But who knows. *gossip

On 12/29/2015 at 3:33 PM, Jayvee said:

Sabor is opening a second location at 3205 N Davidson....COOL!

This is very exciting. Their current location is PACKED and the wait/parking lot has almost become unbearable at times. I kind of will only go during non peak hours now. 

More info on Haberdish: 

Mx4oVD0.jpg?1

According to renovation plans filed with the city, Haberdish will be at 3106 N. Davidson St., a historic building close to Cabo Fish Taco. The restaurant’s menu will include “delightful southern-inspired food and drink,” its developing Facebook page reads.

Haberdish is a concept from Jeff Tonidandel, who owns Growlers Pourhouse and Crepe Cellar, both also in NoDa. Tonidandel has praised the neighborhood’s upkeep of historical buildings, noting that they add character.

The building at 3106 North Davidson is one of four original commercial structures built in north Charlotte from about 1900 to 1927, according to rezoning paperwork filed with the city.

The 3,000 square-foot restaurant will include 900 square feet of outdoor patio space, the planning papers show.

It’s unclear when Haberdish will open. Tonidandel could not be reached for comment.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/whats-in-store/article52902695.html

Edited by Crown

21 minutes ago, Crown said:

More info on Haberdish: 

Mx4oVD0.jpg?1

According to renovation plans filed with the city, Haberdish will be at 3106 N. Davidson St., a historic building close to Cabo Fish Taco. The restaurant’s menu will include “delightful southern-inspired food and drink,” its developing Facebook page reads.

Haberdish is a concept from Jeff Tonidandel, who owns Growlers Pourhouse and Crepe Cellar, both also in NoDa. Tonidandel has praised the neighborhood’s upkeep of historical buildings, noting that they add character.

The building at 3106 North Davidson is one of four original commercial structures built in north Charlotte from about 1900 to 1927, according to rezoning paperwork filed with the city.

The 3,000 square-foot restaurant will include 900 square feet of outdoor patio space, the planning papers show.

It’s unclear when Haberdish will open. Tonidandel could not be reached for comment.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/whats-in-store/article52902695.html

When are we going to get info on Goodyear. Three big restaurant openings in Noda would be HUGE.

1 hour ago, SgtCampsalot said:

I just noticed Mercury laid their sidewalk down. It's great! No planter, super wide sidewalk, trees in their own spots. So perfect.

20160106_122651.jpg

20160106_122645.jpg

Not too shabby. I wish we would see this type of pedestrian treatment in SouthEnd. the 50:50 Hardscape to landscape really hinders walkability. I don't know how many people have walked past Camden Gallery lately, but their planter boxes are gigantic, and seem like they will create a bottleneck. The open nature of the sidewalk here, and the tree wells actually make this storefront relatively inviting. I wish there as a more interesting streetscape but I would say it turned out nicer than I expected. If these can actually be converted to Live:Work, that would be an even bigger plus.

Don't know if i am jaded or what, but it is a sad state of affairs when we have people praising the look of this building.  Cement board, brick and storefront ornamented with paint and misaligned dyer vents?  While the bones are good (few curb cuts, no cars behind bars etc.) there is nothing inspiring about this building.  This should be our city's rock bottom expectation.  I will withhold my praise for more deserving architecture.

1 minute ago, archiham04 said:

Don't know if i am jaded or what, but it is a sad state of affairs when we have people praising the look of this building.  Cement board, brick and storefront ornamented with paint and misaligned dyer vents?  While the bones are good (few curb cuts, no cars behind bars etc.) there is nothing inspiring about this building.  This should be our city's rock bottom expectation.  I will withhold my praise for more deserving architecture.

I agree, but I'm not interested in the architecture, just the urban design, which it's got down in (nearly) every way. The primary shortcoming is the two vehicular entrances to the internal deck, but fortunately the one was done so that the Neighborhood Theater now has a patio-type space, and both sides they used brick pavers.

10 minutes ago, archiham04 said:

I'm not praising this building. I'm praising the lack of grass strip, and the tree wells, and the lack of cars behind bars. Theres a lot of work to be done, but you can at least walk comfortably by it, I can't say the same thing for anything on South Blvd.

Edited by Guest

So if we take aesthetic out of the equation and evaluate the building on it's bones (or "form") alone... my main critique would be that the street level... stuff... lets call it flex retail/residential is poorly designed. It does not look like very desirable retail or very desirable residential.  The windows are too small for retail, and there is too little privacy provided for residential.  I'm sure that they did the best they could with the perimeters, but I think that flex retail/residential can be designed to give a little more privacy and bigger opportunity for conversion to retail.  I've got a few ideas on this.  When I get some time I'll try and articulate them better.

EDIT:  I am assuming that this is residential on the base floor based upon memory of prior posts... if I am wrong and this is office or something, please correct me.

Edited by archiham04

1 hour ago, tozmervo said:

Tada.

2016-01-06_08.08.54.jpg

oh jesus, what is this?!?! The renderings made it look like a lush parklike alley.

7 minutes ago, archiham04 said:

So if we take aesthetic out of the equation and evaluate the building on it's bones (or "form") alone... my main critique would be that the street level... stuff... lets call it flex retail/residential is poorly designed. It does not look like very desirable retail or very desirable residential.  The windows are too small for retail, and there is too little privacy provided for residential.  I'm sure that they did the best they could with the perimeters, but I think that flex retail/residential can be designed to give a little more privacy and bigger opportunity for conversion to retail.  I've got a few ideas on this.  When I get some time I'll try and articulate them better.

EDIT:  I am assuming that this is residential on the base floor based upon memory of prior posts... if I am wrong and this is office or something, please correct me.

Lord... I think that All of these crappy projects have jaded me 

8 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

oh jesus, what is this?!?! The renderings made it look like a lush parklike alley.

I'm going to have to give a shot in the dark here and say that what is pictured is pretty far from the final product. There is a lot of construction filth around and the areas for planting are still just dirt. :P

6 hours ago, Nick2 said:

I'm going to have to give a shot in the dark here and say that what is pictured is pretty far from the final product. There is a lot of construction filth around and the areas for planting are still just dirt. :P

Yeah throw a row of small trees on in that dirt strip and a mural or two on the wall and I think this is actually not that bad. I did think there were more ground floor units on the right though, maybe just out of view?

21 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

While the materials look pretty great and high quality. The overall design is very corporate and monotonous. I wish they could have some sort of feature to break up the horizontal lines. Granted the corrugated metal is vertical in nature, the overwhelming aesthetic seems to be horizontal. I also wish they broke up the roofline and gave it some varying elevations. It just looks like a big box. The streetscape is kind of nice. Its all very corporate looking however. While the Transit Plaza is nice... It offers no legitimate shelter from the elements. Its nice... but doesn't really serve a single purpose. 

Yeah, I'm sorry, I just don't see anything about this that deserves to be heralded as "nice".  It's just business as usual.  5 stories of wood frame over a podium.  Some corrugated metal splashed on the face doesn't fundamentally change that it is just a flat box.  In fact I think the material changes in the same plane like they are showing just accentuates the "big dumb box" aspect of it - but that's a pet peeve of mine anyway.

Aside from the boring aesthetics, at least it will bring some mixed use development to the area.  That is great.

• Like 1