NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

Admittedly, I meant more for the residential parking rather than the parking behind the front shop (which isn't that bad). My issue is with the residential parking ratio which assumes every resident will need a car. So, it's now guaranteed that 400 cars will be added to local traffic. What spaces that remain empty will be a drain on the local economy.

This project will definitely help the neighborhood but it will add a-lot to local traffic and I'm worried about the trend of buying up multiple tracts of land. It gives developers an uncomfortable amount of control of space in one area.

Definitely agree with you regarding super blocks.  I don't like it in Southend, certainly don't like it in NoDa.

^ super blocks do work if they are fully integrated with the surrounding neighborhoods.  Crescent has placed the biggest bets so far on the continuing success of this city's light rail line, knowing very well that connecting their investments to healthy, walkable neighborhoods and business centers, are key to furthering that success.  IMHO, this will play out to be one of the most transformational developments we've seen, certainly in this area, if not the entire city.  Further, it will be the first real opportunity to economically and socially connect North Davidson to North Tryon,and maybe entice the building of a robust Amtrak station, while we wait for the Trade Street street hub.  If I were Crescent, I would already be having some serious conversations with NCDOT. 

• Like 1

Sign #964 of suburban end times in Charlotte: PNC Pavillion has been declaired obsolete by the Observer http://www.charlotteobserver.com/living/liv-columns-blogs/theoden-janes/article30389784.html

perhaps its time for a new large, transit accessible, outdoor venue as part of a Sugar Creek / Old Concord redevelopment?

• Like 1

Sign #964 of suburban end times in Charlotte: PNC Pavillion has been declaired obsolete by the Observer http://www.charlotteobserver.com/living/liv-columns-blogs/theoden-janes/article30389784.html

perhaps its time for a new large, transit accessible, outdoor venue as part of a Sugar Creek / Old Concord redevelopment?

back when I used to attend these concerts I made a point to park as far away from the venue and close to the exit as possible 

I absolutely love the idea of building a new venue that is light rail accessible. PNC Pavillion, while the perfect size, is somewhat outdated and a complete disaster to get in and out of like the article says. When I first moved here 8-9 years ago I used to go to a lot of shows there in large part to the fact I no longer had to drive 2 hours to VA Beach or DC to see a concert. Then it started becoming too much of a pain to go. This would change that for me and a lot of people. 

Mercury NoDa update..

Seems they may be going with a tri-color option instead of the original color pallet tested a few months back.

Mercury8_2015.jpg

Are they going to paint the walls inside the patio?? That's the only way this will look even mildly acceptable.

Edited by Guest

I have a feeling that beige at the far right in that pic will be repainted (at least a portion of it). They clearly didn't mask off those edges where it was changed to that brick red-like color. That tells me they plan on covering it.

Good point. I think they plan on continuing it to the patio walls as well, as it appears to be continued around slightly.

IMHO, this whole project is a train-wreck...

Skyhouse Tower 1 (20+ stories) was started AFTER MercuryNoDa (3+ stories) and has since been topped off/completed with another tower on the way, yet  Mercury still sits at 70% completeion???  Did Woodfield Investments keep BB&M Architecture or do they have their own in-house firm? I guess my point is, why is it taking so long to get this project completed? They have absolutely no social media presence for folks requesting rental rates, property amenities, floor plans e.t.c. yet I recall seeing somewhere that this project was scheduled to be completed 3Q 2015. If that is indeed the case, they have ALOT of work to do. 

I kind of wish Crescent had shown some interest in this property a few years back,  then maybe we would have something really special in place of this monster.

• Like 2

Let's the cumbersome dinosaurs fall and let the small developers get the all the leg work done. Two story townhouses, cute shops, bungalows? Heck yeah, as long as they are not killed by the 800 pages worth of zoning laws, nimbys, Home owners associations, etc.

While I think there is more at play, one BIG reason for the slow construction is a pretty severe labor shortage in the Charlotte market right now, especially for trades that do interior wall construction (wood studs, gyp board work, etc). It's driving up construction prices and times pretty significantly.

As for the paint colors, I love the pop and boldness, it's exactly what NoDa should be getting (and has been asking for). I just think the light red looks horrendous with the brick selection

Didn't know there was a construction labor shortage in Charlotte.

Has been for a while. The landlord for my office developed the Plaza25 apartment project on Clement behind Midwood Smokehouse. He had to bring in a crew from the Greensboro area because there wasn't enough labor in Charlotte due to all the building going on.

IMHO, this whole project is a train-wreck...

Skyhouse Tower 1 (20+ stories) was started AFTER MercuryNoDa (3+ stories) and has since been topped off/completed with another tower on the way, yet  Mercury still sits at 70% completeion???  Did Woodfield Investments keep BB&M Architecture or do they have their own in-house firm? I guess my point is, why is it taking so long to get this project completed? They have absolutely no social media presence for folks requesting rental rates, property amenities, floor plans e.t.c. yet I recall seeing somewhere that this project was scheduled to be completed 3Q 2015. If that is indeed the case, they have ALOT of work to do. 

I kind of wish Crescent had shown some interest in this property a few years back,  then maybe we would have something really special in place of this monster.

Skyhouse is a cookie-cutter design. Their business model is centered around putting up those towers quickly. Skyhouse II will probably be complete before all of the new towers in 3rd ward.

There is a purpose for the bad paint jobs.  When people come to visit you, all you have to say  it is the building with terrible paint job.

This strategy worked pretty well for The Arlington

• Like 1

Has the gentrification of North NoDa (next to Sugar Creek) begun?

this warehouse was demoed today: 3850 N Davidson St, Charlotte, NC 28205

http://goo.gl/maps/Ndfk5

Hm, I wonder if it's being torn down to accommodate the bridge/ramp that's being built for Sugar Creek soon (the reason the pawn shop and Wells Fargo are being razed.

Edited by SgtCampsalot