NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

Sadly the photos are a little washed out from some unforgiving evening sun, but it looks like Mercury (or whateverthehellitscalled) is getting close. It's colorful, but the colors are still fairly conservative compared to what's already in NoDa. The corner has kind of an orangey red that's nice, but the rest of the red is more burgundy and the blues are navy. 

2015-10-20_17.59.26.jpg

2015-10-20_17.59.15.jpg

It's funny, because even though these colors are way more bland than everything else in NoDa, they are FAR more adventurous than any project in South End. The only real exception (in terms of newer projects) is Fat City Lofts, which got the coloring and mural mostly because Fat City and its graffiti wall used to be THE place in NoDa.

Edited by SgtCampsalot

Just happened to take this shot today as well... Is this really the final colors?

No real way to know for sure until the building opens, but that looks like finish paint to me. 

It's funny, because even though these colors are way more bland than everything else in NoDa, they are FAR more adventurous than any project in South End. The only real exception is Fat City Lofts, which got the coloring and mural mostly because Fat City and its graffiti wall used to be THE place in NoDa.

It's also strange looking because it's shorter than the podium-style construction the other projects are using. It's definitely a nicer scale for downtown noda.

It's also strange looking because it's shorter than the podium-style construction the other projects are using. It's definitely a nicer scale for downtown noda.

It is. And despite its ugliness in some ways, it seems to have far better urban design than most developments I've seen. The way they're having the residential units open out onto the street looks excellent!

Its still a huge missed opportunity compared to what was originally proposed there (don't break our hearts by digging up those renderings again), but yeah, that is a nicer result than the previous construction photos led me to believe.

Yea, I agree with you on that statement. I guess my comment comes from lowered expectations :unsure:

The more I think about it, the more worried I am about the scale of all the new projects. They are simply too large. It doesn't matter how well intention-ed the developers are. It's not the fine grained, incremental development the neighborhood needs.

The historic row of shops were built by a variety of developers, and not built all at once. It was built incrementally over time, and the results are glorious.

I can't help but keep looking at the zoning laws that prevent smaller projects. Most of the district is zoned for single use commercial or single-family. Rezoning for four-plexes, live-work units (shop on first floor, apartments on second floor), takes thousands of dollars and months of time.

For developers, the rezoning process can break a deal, especially if the council will be unpredictable (*cough* Billy Maddelon's townhouse project *cough*). Meanwhile, parking requirements force developers to spend money on parking decks, underground parking, or waste precious space on off street parking. The historic section of town didn't have to deal with these issues when they were built.

The more I think about it, the more worried I am about the scale of all the new projects. They are simply too large. It doesn't matter how well intention-ed the developers are. It's not the fine grained, incremental development the neighborhood needs.

The historic row of shops were built by a variety of developers, and not built all at once. It was built incrementally over time, and the results are glorious.

I can't help but keep looking at the zoning laws that prevent smaller projects. Most of the district is zoned for single use commercial or single-family. Rezoning for four-plexes, live-work units (shop on first floor, apartments on second floor), takes thousands of dollars and months of time.

For developers, the rezoning process can break a deal, especially if the council will be unpredictable (*cough* Billy Maddelon's townhouse project *cough*). Meanwhile, parking requirements force developers to spend money on parking decks, underground parking, or waste precious space on off street parking. The historic section of town didn't have to deal with these issues when they were built.

Dude, the Zoning has nothing to do with it. The desire to make money does. You can make a 15% profit on a single building on a massive block. You can make a 40% profit on an entire block.

Zoning means nothing, money means everything. By the way I'm in Savannah, my college town, figured you'd appreciate that.

NoDa was a mill village. Everything was owned and built by the mill, over a relatively short period of time.

Fun fact: The mill houses in NoDa were built in 3-4 days each. 

NoDa was a mill village. Everything was owned and built by the mill, over a relatively short period of time.

Fun fact: The mill houses in NoDa were built in 3-4 days each. 

And the fact that the buildings were mainly reused and not demolished is brilliant! Refurbing old buildings in the QC should happen more often instead of building new buildings, like the Ivey building in Uptown and of course, NoDa. 

Also NoDa Brewing's location on N. Davidson is being up-zoned to TOD-M.  Same company as the proposed Mixed Use project at 7th and Caswell. I'd suspect, mixed use here also.

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2016/001-016/2016-016 application.pdf

That is actually the old Birdsong/Centerstage locale.  Noda's address is 2229 N Davidson. 

The proposal at Centerstage/Former Birdsong (2315 N Davidson St), is being done by a Charlotte native who intends on keeping the project after construction rather than selling it. They're holding lots of neighborhood meetings, and are hoping to make the greenway their "front yard" rather than just N Davidson St.

Apparently the current owner of the building who bought it was a co-working space investment, and now is selling to this company only because he wanted to keep the land in Charlotte-owned hands.

Edited by SgtCampsalot

Not sure where else to put this, but there is a petition going around the neighborhoods for the city to conduct a study on Parkwood Ave and The Plaza (extension portion) to implement a re-design. The momentum picked up after some recent very high-profile deaths and injuries (which are unacceptably common).

At the risk of using this site for promotion, I will just say that if you are familiar with Parkwood Ave and The Plaza, and feel compelled to sign the petition, then click that link above. The neighborhoods are currently discussing this issue in further detail.