Greenville Drive Baseball

Sad about Sorensen leaving, but that's what we're faced with everyday. Tony Granadillo should be back soon, hopefully, and that will certainly help out both offensively and defensively. His backup commited a blatent error tonight - 1 of the Drive's 3 tonight. :(

The new souvenir green shirts are incredible! Definitely my favorite right now. I will no doubt be buying a few as gifts for relatives and friends living in other cities. ;)

The new souvenir green shirts are incredible! Definitely my favorite right now. I will no doubt be buying a few as gifts for relatives and friends living in other cities. ;)

They must have just unveiled those on Friday. :blink: I didn't see them on Thursday...can't wait to drop some change on one of those. :shades: I wonder if they'll be selling replica/official Green Jerseys too. I'm still trying to convince my wife to budget $140 for one of the normal jerseys. :rofl:

You guys are going to be astounded by the new green uniforms! I was able to see them earlier this afternoon and they are perfect. :wub: They have a blending nostalgic-coolness appeal that even the standard uniforms don't have. The green and blue colors are deep, while the white lettering stands out beautifully. The hat is hunter green, with a navy bill and white G. This is basically the exact style and color-scheme I had hoped the new team would wear. :yahoo:

Edited by Skyliner

http://www.greenvilledrive.com/index.php?o...view&id=177

For Monday's game, the Drive broke the single season attendance record for a Greenville minor league baseball team, passing the 1998 Greenville Braves. Minor league baseball has been in Greenville, with just a 10 year break in the 70's, for the last 80 years. Nice to break that record with, what, 15 home games to go?

If the present pace keeps up, the Drive will up the record by about 69,000 paid spectators. Not bad, not bad at all. That will certainly help advertising, suite selling and season tickets for next year as well.

After seeing the new green jerseys and hats (and purchasing one of each) this evening, I have to wonder...did our early input and enthusiasm here on U.P. (before the team name, logo, colors, and unifrom were announced) have anything to do with the design of the new jerseys? I swear, you could have drawn a sketch out of the early suggestions here on U.P. and that's what the team was wearing this evening. It's an amazing nod to the community for them to acknowledge the early wishes of the fans in such a way while celebrating the city's 175th birthday. Thank you, Drive! It was a great evening this evening, capped off, of course, by a win. :shades:

^ Won't it be cool when that is an LRT train one day, making one of its many stops in the city? ;)

That would be cool. We discussed before moving the train station here... this train helps it be visualized even more and I like it.

When the train went by I was just as excited as some of the kids :rofl:... It was pretty awesome in person

Love the Team, Hate the Name?

Oh give me a bloody freakin' break. My Opinion: Yes, get Shoeless Joe inducted into the Hall of Fame. No, leave the Drive alone. The name has grown on me and I love the team and love the name, Mr. Victory! So please focus your energies where they should be focused. :P

And he's only been to 6 home games? He should become a season ticket holder next year. I plan to do so. :thumbsup:

Love the Team, Hate the Name?

Oh give me a bloody freakin' break. My Opinion: Yes, get Shoeless Joe inducted into the Hall of Fame. No, leave the Drive alone. The name has grown on me and I love the team and love the name, Mr. Victory! So please focus your energies where they should be focused. :P

And he's only been to 6 home games? He should become a season ticket holder next year. I plan to do so. :thumbsup:

Wierd...

Strong arming a business with odd threats doesn't seem like the the best strategy to get what you want, in fact I would say there would be less chance of that happening with a public "Greenville Joes" campaign.

I'm no real fan of the name "Drive", but I like the logo and colors. In fact, I'm usually wear a Greenville Bombers hat to games, and plan to tomorrow night, but that's just wierd. But however odd a name Greenville Drive is, Greenville Joe's is even worse aesthically.

No other organization has done more for Joe Jackson's name than the Drive. From the actor playing Jackson at the first game, to images of him around the park to promoting Jackson's home across the street, there couldn't be a more friendly organization to the Jackson's name than the Drive.

Someone has way too much time on his hands. I'd suggest turning that little storefront on Augusta into a deli or something to make some money from fans rather than alienating a business winner, for in Greenville at the moment, the Drive can get pretty much whatever they want, and they don't ask for much.

If this tool is against Major League Baseball's decision about the name, then why doesn't he move to MLB headquarters and campaign there? He is wasting his time here, since Drive management is not the problem (and couldn't do anything to change the name to Joes, even if they wanted to).

Originally, I was not fond of the Drive name, but even then it was much better than Joes. I think Joes is a horrible name! If necessary, I will start a petition from people who don't want it changed to Joes.

With the season nearly over, and average attendance nearly set in stone, the Drive have a lot to be proud of.

Averaging 4,766 fans per game, and 309,818 total with five home games remaining. Based on averages alone, the Greenville Drive should have about 333K paying fans for the year, over 40K from the previous local minor league high in 1998. That's big.

While you hope that the team is not a one hit wonder, as often happens with new stadiums, you gotta think that a goal of having 400,000 fans in a season (an average of 5,700) is at least thought about down in the West End.

What's intriguing to me is that in the 16 team A SALly league, three teams ( Lake County, Lexington, Greenvile are out drawing every AA Southern League team with the exception of Jacksonville. Lakewood and Greensboro are outdrawing even Jacksonville, FL' Suns.

While Savannah, and Columbus are all behind every AA Southern League team in attendance, most of the nine other SALly league teams draw nearly identical numbers to the rest of the AA Southern League. The West Virginia Power of the SAL league draw the most similar number of fans, about 3,700, to the Mississippi Braves.

After having nearly a year to compare and contrast the numbers, I guess it really is true that the classification of the team really doesn't matter to the vast majority of fans coming to the ballpark regarding the differences between Single A and Double A, for if it did, then there would be far fewer at SAL teams than Southern League teams. Now if we are comparing AAA teams, then you could expect attendance nightly over 6,000 in good locations.