What's going on in New Orleans

NCB

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know the numbers were at wikipedia,I saw them before you posted them. I wanted to know where did the numbers originally come from? Did the census bureau change the numbers? Or is this just one person's opinion?

I'm not sure about the census bureau. I have seen these updated figures on a few other sites, but I'm not sure as to where they officially came from. The original purpose of the post was to ask if anyone knew where the numbers came from.

Comeback already in progress

Population increasing quicker than expected

Formal numbers are hard to come by, but one thing's certain: New Orleans' population is coming back more quickly than expected

Article

Some interesting quotes

"I think people will fight about the numbers," said Audrey Singer, a demographer with the Brookings Institute who has written about the Katrina Diaspora. "But the message here is clear: that people want to return and that people have started to return. Obviously, the city has not been abandoned."
The Entergy figures suggest a total city population in the range of 185,000 to 195,000, about 50 percent higher than the city's estimates.

^Yea stories like this are great. Reading about help like that from places so far away is always nice.

That and it's also just great to hear about these people trying to pay back the US for the money and kindness we have extended to countries in the past.

^The Aquarium of the Americas is making great progress. Pre-Katrina, it was consistantly ranked as one of the top aquariums in America, and it will be great to see it re-open this summer. Originally, the aquarium was not expected to open until late 2007, but that has obviously been pushed up greatly.

Man in standoff, holds wife hostage in Covington

This is not what we need in Covington

Article

EDIT: This has been resolved. The Covington Police managed to lure the man to the front of the house, as Saint Tammany Sherrif deputees snuck into the house through the back. More news coming later.

Archived