What's going on in New Orleans

NCB

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ULI's rebuilding plan..

uli_buildingplan.jpg

Seeing this map makes me wonder how the levee system is set up down there. Are there levees just around bodies of water like the Mississippi River and Lake Ponchartrain? Or are there levees that somewhat seperate sections of the city? Seems like perhaps some levees dividing up the city might be useful. If there ever was a failure then only one section would experiance flooding. Just an idea, if it isn't already done like that.

I'm having a REALLY hard time going along with all these plans to abandon parts of the city. Many parts of our city are below sea level. The entire westbank will have major flooding with a hurricane making landfall just to the west. So, should we abandon those areas too?

I say build levees for a cat 5 storm. Let's keep the water out... not the people. This is just a tough issue. I'm having a really hard time with all this talk.

I'm having a REALLY hard time going along with all these plans to abandon parts of the city. Many parts of our city are below sea level. The entire westbank will have major flooding with a hurricane making landfall just to the west. So, should we abandon those areas too?

I say build levees for a cat 5 storm. Let's keep the water out... not the people. This is just a tough issue. I'm having a really hard time with all this talk.

If we do get category 5 levee's, which I think we eventually will, I would definately not support plans to abandon parts of the city.

This plan by the ULI was mostly based on a post-Katrina New Orleans with Cat. 3 levees, at which point abandoning extremely low lying areas of the city may have to be considered.

This is another major plan in New Orleans that almost is completely controlled by what kind of levees the city has in the next few years.

Bush pledges $1.5 billion more for levees

Levees to be rebuilt stronger than ever before

Any flooding would be "manageable"

Article

This is absolutely fantastic news! :yahoo:

There is lots more to be done with the levees, but this is a huge step in the right direction.

I'm looking at today's news in a positive light. However, I hope that this isn't the end. We need cat 5 protection. And, I'm worried about the following quote from our "czar":

"I'm convinced that what we're doing here today _ if there is another Katrina that hits New Orleans that we would not see the catastrophic results that we saw during Katrina," Powell said. "There will be some flooding, but it will be manageable type flooding."

Well ya know what? I'm not conviced. According to Ivor Van Heerdon, in an interview today on Ch 4 in New Orleans, said that this upgrade would not protect St Bernard, the 9th ward, or New Orleans East. All those areas would flood again. He went on to say that a slow moving cat 2 or a fast cat 3 approaching just to the west would flood most of the city all over again.

Moral of the story... Don't let up on your representatives. We need to ensure cat 5 protection, or this will happen again.

Moral of the story... Don't let up on your representatives. We need to ensure cat 5 protection, or this will happen again.

Most Definately.

I am just very happy about the news, because it is a major step in the right direction.

The levee upgrading issue is long from over, but at least we are moving forward now.

For the short term, it might be good news, but I do think that New Orleans needs better protection. Getting a modest levee system built is one thing, but then the state will have to go begging to Washington again for more. What if, God forbid, there were another storm next summer? Get it right the first time.

Most Definately.

I am just very happy about the news, because it is a major step in the right direction.

The levee upgrading issue is long from over, but at least we are moving forward now.

Certainly true, NCB, and I'm taking that attitude for now. However, when our "czar" makes a statement like he made... it's almost like he's angling for this to be a permanent fix. Kinda like saying, "After these upgrades are complete, a storm like Katrina really won't cause that many problems. Katrina was the worst storm in this city's 300 year history. Yall should be happy with that. Come on back." I'd like to hear our "czar" say that this is just a start.

But, you are correct, NCB. This is a great start, and it is great news. Lets just not forget that we need better protection... cat 5 protection.

I found these figures on Wikipedia.org.

The population of the city has been increased in almost every year. For instance, the population that I have always seen listed of New Orleans in 1990 is 496,000 in 2000 it was 484,674, and the estimate that I have seen listed for New Orleans in 2005 was around 462,000. But these figures have the 1990 population of New Orleans listed at 530,938, the 2000 population at 495,674, and the 2005 estimate listed at 496,197, an actual increase of population.

Here is the full list;

City of New Orleans

Population by year

1810- 17,242

1820- 27,176

1830- 46,082

1840- 102,193

1850- 116,375

1860- 168,675

1870- 191,418

1880- 216,090

1890- 242,039

1900- 287,104

1910- 339,075

1920- 387,219

1930- 458,762

1940- 494,537

1950- 570,445

1960- 627,525

1965- 702,108

1970- 640,471

1980- 580,515

1990- 530,938

2000- 495,674

2005- 496,197

Does anyone know where these updated figures came from?

Archived