What's going on in New Orleans

NCB

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is a great article..

What will New Orleans look like five years from now? Experts have a lot of big ideas, but their grand plans can't happen unless a fractured city rises to the challenge.

Article

Very interesting article and ideas, thanks for posting it Nate.

'Not in my back yard' cry holding up FEMA trailers

Emotional tone of opposition hints at role of stereotypes of race, class

Hey Nate, you're missing your link. :D

The NIMBY problem in the New Orleans area is disgraceful in some ways IMO. I can understand people being concerned with having trailers on playgrounds or parks designed for young kids, but the people who dont want trailers in their neighborhoods because they look ugly, or because more black people will move into the area is just not right. I wish these people would realize that htye could have easily been one of these people with no home, looking for a place to live in a FEMA trailer, and that their views would be totally different then.

The NIMBY problem in the New Orleans area is disgraceful in some ways IMO. I can understand people being concerned with having trailers on playgrounds or parks designed for young kids, but the people who dont want trailers in their neighborhoods because they look ugly, or because more black people will move into the area is just not right. I wish these people would realize that htye could have easily been one of these people with no home, looking for a place to live in a FEMA trailer, and that their views would be totally different then.

Very true. I can understand being a bit picky how things are going to be done but this is over the top.

HISTORY OF HELP

The United States has a tradition of spending billions to help rebuild devastated foreign countries. After Hurricane Katrina, many are saying the federal government should use a similar approach to drive recovery on its own soil.

Article

I've also heard some complaints elsewhere. I can understand where they are coming from but I guess in my opinion I think some people are just expecting a little too much. Other areas that have received aid weren't transformed overnight either. I realize it's going to be very frustrating but some of this is going to take some time and patience.

^That is true.

Some parts of New Orleans may be expecting to much to fast, but most of the complaining is coming from areas like Saint Bernard Parish, Plaquemines Parish, and coastal Mississippi. These complaints are definately worthy, as they are getting almost no attention compared to New Orleans.

^That is true.

Some parts of New Orleans may be expecting to much to fast, but most of the complaining is coming from areas like Saint Bernard Parish, Plaquemines Parish, and coastal Mississippi. These complaints are definately worthy, as they are getting almost no attention compared to New Orleans.

Yeah there is that aspect too. New Orleans does receive most of the attention, although that is where most of the population is too. But it does seem like other areas aren't getting much attention at all.

I think alot of it also has to do with Americas image. The U.S. want to be know worldwide as a country that is fair, helping to everyone, doing everything it can to give its' citizens great lives, etc. And that image can't be there is the worldwide story becomes "America lets one of its greatest cities die." Therefore most of the media attention is shifted to New Orleans, rather than say Chalmette, Pass Christian, or other smaller, yet just as devastaded cities.

^To be honest, I am not a big supporter of the tours themselves, but they ar pretty much the biggest tourist attraction in the city right now. I can understand that people want, and need to see all of the damage first hand, but if I was trying to rebuild and collect from what is left of my home, I wouldn't want a bus full of people pulling up alongside and taking pictures.

^To be honest, I am not a big supporter of the tours themselves, but they ar pretty much the biggest tourist attraction in the city right now. I can understand that people want, and need to see all of the damage first hand, but if I was trying to rebuild and collect from what is left of my home, I wouldn't want a bus full of people pulling up alongside and taking pictures.

Yeah I can certainly see the negative aspect to them. Of course some people argue that if this is one way to get people and and rebuild the tourism industry then they should do it. Hopefully there will be a way to find a way in the middle. Bringing in people wanting to actually go and willing to spend some money in the area but to keep them from being intrusive to the people trying to rebuild also.

Archived