What's going on in New Orleans

NCB

Senate approves hurricane relief package

$29 billion bill unanimously passed

$6 billion in coastal restoration money lost after Alaska oil drilling defeated

Article

I am disappointed that $6 billion was lost through all of this because of the drilling in Alaska, but this is another great step in the right direction. :thumbsup:

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have some pictures of the convention center that I'll upload later.

Sorry for the delay. :)

Here are some shots of part of the convention center taken in late November.

NOCBD_088.jpg

NOCBD_089.jpg

NOCBD_090.jpg

Note that most of the damage like blown out windows, and other cosmeti stuff has been almost completely fixed.

I just drove by there today. It looks completely normal. Does anyone know what the status of the expansion is now?

Now that you mention it, I haven't heard anything about it since Katrina. I really wonder what the future of the project will be...

^Thats an interesting article.

I don't agree with the population projections that the BNOB commision has thrown out. If New Orleans gets category 5 levee protection, I see no reason why the city would have only 60% of its population. People want to come back, and they are waiting for two things; cat 5 levee protection, and homeowners insurance to be brought back to parts of the area, and that won't happen until the levees are approved. This is why "everything comes back to the levees."

I don't think the city's footprint should be shrunk in many areas if we get the needed levee protection. Though areas like the outermost part of New Orleans East, which is turning back into marsh as we speak, should be left to nature.

Projections: N.O. to lose half its size, metro area will slip 10 percent

City will remain majority African-American

Article

Personally, I agree with the population projections for the metro area, but I think it is still to early to tell with the ciy population.

Archived